[comp.music] Deciphering Webern

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (03/19/90)

In article <14657@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> roger@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Roger
Lustig) writes:
>  Babbitt, on the other hand, is
>not the kind of guy who sets up a system, turns the crank, and sees what
>comes out, though the casual listener might think so.

So, then, it's "Who cares if THE CASUAL LISTENER listens?"  :-)

>  He starts with an
>idea of the things he wants to hear, and constructs a system with which
>to compose those sounds.

Seriously, Roger, has this been documented at all?  Certainly, Ciro Scotto's
piece in the Summer 1988 PERSPECTIVES ("Preparing a Performance of Babbitt's
ARIE DA CAPO") did not lend very much insight in this direction.  It sounds
to me very much like Babbitt has set himself an engineering design problem
whose paradigm is not that different from the "composition theory" of Otto
Laske.  What I want to know is whether or not it is fair to ask for any
clarification in words of that "idea of the things he wants to hear" and
the extent to which he has refined a methodology for the task of system
construction.

I think, by the way, that it is also interesting to compare this approach with
the one Ligeti describes in his article in Boulez for DIE REIHE.  There, Ligeti
talks about a three-stage process which starts out looking like your
description of what Babbitt does NOT do.  The first stage is one of
deliberate decision regarding what parameters will be manipulated when
the crank is turned.  The second stage is turning the crank, but this
is followed by a third stage of filling in parametric information which
was not provided by the "cranked" system.  Thus, whatever ideas Boulez
has "of the things he wants to hear" are expressed in the first and third
stages.  (Incidentally, this methodology is not that different from the way
in which Merce Cunningham has used chance operations in choreography, often
with great success.)

USPS:	Stephen Smoliar
	USC Information Sciences Institute
	4676 Admiralty Way  Suite 1001
	Marina del Rey, California  90292-6695

Internet:  smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu

"Only a schoolteacher innocent of how literature is made could have written
such a line."--Gore Vidal