[comp.music] Typesetting music

mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) (04/11/90)

In article <823@dgis.dtic.dla.mil> jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) writes:
>jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:
>
>>I would like to know whether there is an established leader in the field,
>>[of music typesetting] or is it still wide open?
>
>Neither.  There are several packages on Macintosh and at least one I
>know of for DOS machines.  All require laser printers for reasonable
>output, which still costs a lot for individuals.  All can accept
>reasonable notation, some make it easier to enter notes than others.
[...]
>My impression is that the market is fragmented right now, roughly
>divided into two groups: the MIDI tools, which can control a lot of
>electronics and some of which can parse keyboard events into
>conventional notation, and the notation tools, which provide input,
>editing, and lots of outputs of conventional notation.  [...]

I've been using SCORE for DOS-based machines, and using it
specifically for notation/typesetting, as I have no need/use for
the limited MIDI functions now.  It is a 'higher priced' item,
currently well over a grand, but produces *genuine* professional,
publication-quality results.  It is a bit harder to use than
'video-game' styled programs :-).  It DOES have extensive
capability for non-conventional notation, BTW.  There is also a
newly-produced tool for good direct MIDI input to SCORE which has
just hit the market.  Several large publishing houses use SCORE at
this time.

[Flame shields up!]
I know there are people on this newsgroup who swear by FINALE, but
I have yet to see what I consider adequate text-handling (one
publisher's work I've seen required much cut-and paste BY HAND in
order to properly space some text with notes).  I'm also not
convinced by some other visual placement attributes -- sure,
smooth lines and edges, but placement of objects sometimes doesn't
satisfy me (i.e. beaming).
[Flame shields down.]

But by far the most interesting and exciting typesetting program I
have seen is the one developed and used by A-R Editions of
Madison, Wisconson, for the Sun computers.  They've got a
mainframe and numerous workstations (they've just added some
Sparc1 pizzaboxes) with output to a Linotronics 300.  They
developed their own music fonts which look better, I think, than
the SonataFont stuff and are a good match for SCORE in terms of
placement and visual balance.  (Designed after some high-quality
European engravings.)  At least what I've seen so far, which was
briefly.  I would like to see some more extensive examples of
their work.

As a final note:  No typesetting program is ultimately better than
the skills and eye of the operator!

Cheers,

--Mark

Mark Gresham  ARTSNET  Norcross, GA, USA
E-mail:       ...gatech!artsnet!mgresham
or:          artsnet!mgresham@gatech.edu