[comp.music] dancing midi

tynor@prism.gatech.EDU (Steve Tynor) (04/05/90)

In article <3154@astroatc.UUCP> ttl@astroatc.UUCP (Tony Laundrie) writes:
>About a year ago, I saw the comedy act of the Flying Karamazov Brothers.
>They ended their show with a fantastic song (about juggling, of course)
>whose music was all generated via pressure pads feeding a MIDI system.
>Has anybody else seen this show?  Our of curiosity, does anybody know their
>exact setup?

No, but Laurie Anderson does something simliar in her shows - check out her
movie "Home of the Brave" if you've never seen her live.

Virtue is its own punishment.

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Tech Research Institute
    Artificial Intelligence Branch
    tynor@prism.gatech.edu

alves@nunki.usc.edu (William Alves) (04/09/90)

Mark Coniglio at the California Institute of the Arts (Cal-Arts) in Valencia
has developed a series of accelerometers which are placed on a dancer's body.
When the dancer moves that part of the body in a particular axis of motion,
a MIDI signal is sent over radio control to a computer. His Mac-based soft-
ware listens for particular signals and can react by simply routing that
MIDI signal to the appropriate module, or may react by playing a pre-stored
sequence, or may react in a number of different ways. The signal sent from
the dancer may be tuned to a particular MIDI message, and the velocity or
controller amount may be proportional to the strength of the movement. The
sensors on the dancer's body, it should be noted, are *motion*, not *location*,
detectors. That is, a dancer does not trigger it by finding a particular
point in absolute space, but by moving a certain way at any place. I saw
a demo of this system with a piece composed by Coniglio at Cal-Arts a week
ago Sunday. He didn't have all the hardware running as smoothly as he wanted,
but is planning a new version with smaller and more robust hardware and
cleaner radio transmitters.

Bill Alves
USC School of Music / Center for Scholarly Technology

jboggs@inco.UUCP (John Boggs) (04/11/90)

In article <9003@chaph.usc.edu> alves@nunki.usc.edu (William Alves) writes:
>Mark Coniglio at the California Institute of the Arts (Cal-Arts) in Valencia
>has developed a series of accelerometers which are placed on a dancer's body.
>When the dancer moves that part of the body in a particular axis of motion,
>a MIDI signal is sent over radio control to a computer. (more stuff...)

I saw a performance several years ago by the Flying Karamazov Brothers
(excellent jugglers for those of you who don't know).  In one of the routines,
one juggler wore trigger pads (similar to electronic drum triggers only
smaller) on his arms (forearms, palms, upper arms), his legs (tops of the
feet, inside of the calf, top of the thigh), his forehead, and his chest.
Additionally, he wore four traditional (full size) electronic drum pads
mounted on a harness so that one projected above each shoulder and one
projected to the side next to each hip.

Connected to this (by wires) was an little red wagon filled with MIDI
rack modules.

When he juggled various balls and clubs, he bounced them off the various
triggers and drum pads to produce a variety of rythmic and tonic combi-
nations which fit together very nicely.  It was a great routine.  All-in-
all, a pretty interesting arrangement for "alternate controllers".

--
John Boggs

McDonnell Douglas Electronic Systems Company
McLean, Virginia, USA

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (04/12/90)

Speaking of dancing music... I came across a neato system at the recent CHI
conference in Seattle. David Rokeby's "Very Nervous system" is a
video-to-midi system that has been used for turning dancer's movements into
sound. It was also used in the Supercussion sessions at Hypermidia in
(Vancouver, Canada 3/5+6/89) which permitted quadriplegic musicians to
perform live on stage...

I must have spent about 2 hours in the system galumphing and lurching
around. His system was really fun to "play" -- much more fun than playing a
keyboard itself. (Esp. because I'm mostly a bass player, not a keyboardist
-- I'm all-thumbs on a keyboard if I have to play in real-time).

Unlike the systems described in previous articles in this newsgroup,
Rokeby's system makes no contact with the person "playing" the music.
Instead, there's a video camera that captures images in real time and a box
that magically transforms the video into MIDI. A Macintosh then processes
the MIDI into "musical themes" and that is sent to a roland S-330 sampler
for output. Your body and hand movements infront of the video camera
controlled the musical themes being played.

I was impressed. I want one at home for parties. The Grateful Dead (flames
to /dev/null, please) should use this on stage during "space" -- have the
audience movements become space.

For more info, contact:
	David Rokeby
	349a Spadina Ave.
	Toronto, Ontario
	M5T 2G3

tel (416) 596-1428.

PS: I'll let someone less tired than I write up something about "The
Interactive Experience" show at CHI. It included a video about Rokeby's
supercussion exploits, various live performances, etc. Alas, I lost the
info sheet on who played. The only name I remember is Roger Dannenberg, who
did a piece for trumpet accompanied by
trumpet-->IVLPitchrider-->Midi-->Computer-->Synth+Video.

	    Niels Mayer -- hplabs!mayer -- mayer@hplabs.hp.com
		  Human-Computer Interaction Department
		       Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
			      Palo Alto, CA.