[comp.music] Compact Disks with Musical Instruments on them

sandell@ferret.Berkeley.EDU (Greg Sandell) (04/10/90)

Recently I purchased four of the compact disks in the McGill University
Master Samples series.  For those of you who don't know them, they
include an individual recording of every instrument of the orchestra
playing every note in its available range.  `Non-clasical' sounds
are available as well, such as Rock drums and guitar chords.

I am also thinking of buying discs from the Pro Sonus series.  From
what I know of them, they have similar `classical' sounds, although
they have recorded only every fourth note of the available scale
for each instrument.  They are obviously targeted more exclusively
to the needs of Digital Sampler keyboard users, rather than
those with research interests.

Has anybody else used any of the ProSonus disks?  I would be interested
in hearing your evaluation of them.

I have been doing spectral analyses of entire instruments in the
McGill series, and, having seen tremendous note-to-note differences,
am convinced that a strategy of recording only every fourth note
is a real error.  As an example, when english horn goes from F4 to
F#4 (sounding pitches) there is dramatic change in fingering from
all keys closed to all keys open (roughly).  This corresponds to
a dramatic change in spectral envelope between these two tones.
Clearly such timbral discontinuities are critical to the
essential character of the instrument.  I am not a Sampling Keyboard
user, but it strikes me that just because the current memory
capacities of these devices only allow the sampling of every fourth
note, it is extremely shortsighted to go through the trouble of
recording such tones at great expense and releasing them on CDs when
it's only a matter of time before memory is so cheap that the current
limitations of Sampling Keyboards will be a joke.

Here are some brief evaluations of some of the instruments.  As you
can see, the playing quality is not consistent; I think that this
is a major drawback in the McGill series.  I hear that the current
issue of CMJ contains a review of the McGill tones, but I haven't
seen it yet.

1. Excellent tone quality and evenness of tone productions in the
performances of:
	violin bowed vibrato
	double bass bowed
	flute non-vibrato
	English Horn
	tenor trombone
	tuba
2. Less satisfactory tone quality or evenness:
	viola non-vibrato (very scratchy)
	Bassoon (weak in mid-high registers; very high notes omitted)
	french horn (the user's manual does not describe the mike placement
		of these tones; I suspect that the mike was place right by
		the bell, which may not effectively capture the sound we
		usually hear in this instrument, since the bells do not
		face the listener.)
	Bb clarinet (very `hooty')
3. Poor tone quality, very uneven
	All trumpets (most notes not even recognizable as a trumpet)
4. E2 missing from tuba series; A#1 missing from 9' grand piano, right
	pedal depressed (volume 9)
5. celesta recording is very noisy (volume 9)

* Greg Sandell (sandell@ils.nwu.edu)                           *
* Institute for the Learning Sciences, Northwestern University *

jimh@ultra.com (Jim Hurley) (04/12/90)

sandell@ferret.Berkeley.EDU (Greg Sandell) writes:

>Recently I purchased four of the compact disks in the McGill University
>Master Samples series.
[ deleted ]
>I have been doing spectral analyses of entire instruments in the
>McGill series, and, having seen tremendous note-to-note differences,
>am convinced that a strategy of recording only every fourth note
>is a real error.
[deleted]
>  I am not a Sampling Keyboard
>user, but it strikes me that just because the current memory
>capacities of these devices only allow the sampling of every fourth
>note, it is extremely shortsighted to go through the trouble of
>recording such tones at great expense and releasing them on CDs when
>it's only a matter of time before memory is so cheap that the current
>limitations of Sampling Keyboards will be a joke.
[deleted]
>* Greg Sandell (sandell@ils.nwu.edu)                           *
>* Institute for the Learning Sciences, Northwestern University *

You haven't gotten any responses to this yet so I'll take a stab.
I had a fairly violent reaction to this posting
because of my own synthesis bias and I'm by no means a sampler
expert - never having used one. But that won't stop me from expressing
some opinions. I'll relate my bias as I go.

About every fourth note...
I think most samplers allow you to place a sample over any range
of keys, down to a single key, and it will pitch-shift within that
range. There may be individual limitations due to design or memory
but there's nothing intrinsic in a sampler to prevent this. I suppose
that every fourth note was just a concession to space or time constraints
on the CD or the performers. I could be wrong about this because as I
said I have never used a sampler, but I understand the technical
architecture.

In the following discussion I'll use a violin instrument for the sake
of a concrete example, other instruments share some of this
and perhaps have other topics of import.

Firstly: where do you stop? Are the notes tuned in equal-temperament?
If so, won't your sampler's chamber music sound odd? I thought most
good chamber players use just or Pythagorean tunings or tend in that
direction. And what if you want microtonal intervals? In short,
just what interval do you want?

Second point: what instrument do you want sampled and how many? Do
you want a Stradivarius and a Guarnerius violin sample?

Third point: how was the sample made? Radiation patterns around the
violin are difficult to simulate from a single microphone source or even
a stereo pair. Depending on where the mic(s) are you may see spectral
changes more radical on a single note from mic location-to-location
than you see from note-to-note at a fixed location.

Fourth point: this relates to the final sound from a sampler. The
original sample will probably be neutral, void of as much artistic
modulation as possible, since it is the basic source in the synth
and you will want to impose performance modulations from the
synth controls. In other words, the vibrato will come from, say,
a mod wheel controlling an LFO which modulates various internal
processors in the synth. I don't think you want the sample to have
any vibrato at all or you're stuck with this at the source level
and will get peculiar results if you want to change it (or
if you want to play, say, a Bartok piece that requires no
vibrato). Bowing effects will also have to be programmed somehow
and you don't want to have any strong bowing in the original sample.
By the time you reduce the sample to this simple basic source, it
hardly seems to matter much how many notes were originally sampled,
as long as you get the main registers correct. Your real problem will
be to put some life into that sound within the limitations of the sampler.

Fifth point: here's where my own bias comes in. Why do you want to
sample a live instrument anyway? If it's to imitate it as much as possible
get a mellotron;-). If it's just a starting point to an original sound
then you're talking my language and the number of samples is not such a
problem. I happen to feel that there's many wonderful and unique
sounds out there that are the rightful domain of electronic instruments.
We should spend our time looking for these and learning how to be
skillful in their execution.
Imitation can be an extremely valuable lesson in synthesis, but it is
a tool and not an end result. Of course this is idealistic and there
are practical concessions to make to those who want to play others'
compositions and don't have the resources of a symphony at their disposal
(this probably includes all of us:-). I'm addressing this note from
the point of view of a composer, not a performer.

Some other points. I don't think that memory limitations will ever
be the main problem here. I think it will be the ability to to translate
human gestures into meaningful modulation processes.

Let's look at the memory requirements, however, and let's be a bit
extravagant in our hypothetical design. Let's assume
that we want better-than-CD quality stereo output over the 128 note
MIDI range from our instrument and let's see how much memory that will
consume per instrument. In practice there may be multiple samples
cross-faded or otherwise mixed to get a real instrument, but that will
just be a multiplier in the final number.
    Assumptions:
       100KHz sampling,
       32 bit samples (32-bits is a nice memory width with current micros),
       128 notes,
       2 channels,
       10 second sample time (pick your time here);

    the memory requirements are then
       100000 samples/sec/note/channel * 10 secs * 128 notes
           * 32 bits/sample * 2 channels =
           8 192 000 000 bits
or approximately 2**33 bits.

Current memory chips are now 4Meg (is that right?, it's been a while
since I looked at these) and the size is doubling or squaring every few years.
So in a few years we can store about one of these instruments in a
memory chip. Of course, storage of the whole repertoire of instruments
will probably be an external devices, but we'll still need to store a
few instruments in the main sound memory. And undoubtedly there will
be storage technology breakthroughs that we can't imagine in the next decade.
--
Jim Hurley --> jimh@ultra.com  ...!ames!ultra!jimh  (408) 922-0100
Ultra Network Technologies / 101 Daggett Drive / San Jose CA 95134

scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) (04/12/90)

Jim Hurley writes:
>About every fourth note...
>I think most samplers allow you to place a sample over any range
>of keys, down to a single key, and it will pitch-shift within that
>range.

That is true for any sampler I've used in recent years.

>                                                            I suppose
>that every fourth note was just a concession to space or time constraints
>on the CD or the performers.

I have one of those CD sample libraries.  They have grand piano samples
for every note.  However, most instrument samples are given for every
3rd or 4th note.  This is a valid compromise since most of the time
you can create an *almost* seamless transition from on sample to the
next.  If adjacent samples are that distinct from each other then
the sample library itself was poorly created.  I've heard very
successful string and brass implementations with one sample every
4th (or 5th) note.  Vocal samples, however, are fussier and require
shorter intervals.

>Firstly: where do you stop? Are the notes tuned in equal-temperament?
>If so, won't your sampler's chamber music sound odd? I thought most
>good chamber players use just or Pythagorean tunings or tend in that
>direction. And what if you want microtonal intervals? In short,
>just what interval do you want?

Some samplers allow different tunings, this is not hard to do.

>Second point: what instrument do you want sampled and how many? Do
>you want a Stradivarius and a Guarnerius violin sample?

>Fourth point: this relates to the final sound from a sampler. The
>original sample will probably be neutral, void of as much artistic
>modulation as possible, since it is the basic source in the synth
>and you will want to impose performance modulations from the
>synth controls.

This is well understood by sampler owners.  Samples should be
as vanilla as possible (with exceptions) so you can add your own
vibrato and articulation.  The end result might not be *exactly*
like the original instrument but can be musically pleasing.

>Fifth point: here's where my own bias comes in. Why do you want to
>sample a live instrument anyway? If it's to imitate it as much as possible
>get a mellotron;-).

Why a mellotron?  The modern sampler can be though of as a digital mellotron.
(Granted, all those tapes can contain more sound the the typical modern
sampler, but they're slow).

I agree with Mr. Hurley that if perfect imitation is the goal one might
be wasting one's time with a sampler.  A sampler is good for capturing
the essence of an instrument allowing the user to do musically useful
things with it.  However, there are also many other interesting uses for
a sampler.

--
Scott Amspoker
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM

sandell@ferret.Berkeley.EDU (Greg Sandell) (04/13/90)

> Jim Hurley writes:
> >                                                            I suppose
> >that every fourth note was just a concession to space or time constraints
> >on the CD or the performers.
>
> This is a valid compromise since most of the time
> you can create an *almost* seamless transition from on sample to the
> next.  If adjacent samples are that distinct from each other then
> the sample library itself was poorly created.

The question is, how much is `too distinct'?  As I pointed out, there
are many changes in character and spectral quality in musical instruments
from one note to the next that are a natural outcome of acoustical
properties (that arise from mechanical and manufacturing problems).
Starting with D4 on the Bb clarinet...*all* Bb clarinets...the notes get
increasingly thin, and the notes F4-G#4 are so thin that this group
of notes has a name ("throat register").  (I am referring to sounding
rather than written pitches, by the way.) Then at A4 there is a
dramatic increase in fullness, and this is referred to as the break
between the chalumeau (lower register) and the clarino (higher register).
This may be one of the more dramatic discontinuities in the family
of orchestral instruments, but all instruments have them to one degree
or another.  The point is, that these bugs have been turned into
features by composers for a long time, and it's part of the character
of the instrument.

> Samples should be
> as vanilla as possible (with exceptions) so you can add your own
> vibrato and articulation.  The end result might not be *exactly*
> like the original instrument but can be musically pleasing.

I guess sampler users want to `cue' certain sounds..."Oh, that's a
clarinet".  There's a world of difference between that and the
activities of people at IRCAM, CCRMA, CNMAT, and so on, with their
instrument modeling projects, where the idea is to make as
authentic-sounding a simulation as possible.  But I think that sampler
users and manufacturers ought to recognize how short-lived the
effectiveness of the `cueing' approach is in synthesis techniques.
When FM first came out, and for a few years after the DX-7 came out,
the brass sounds were real enough that a listener would say, "oh,
that's a trumpet or trombone or french horn or whatever."  But now
it's just a dated, phony-sounding imitation brass sound, and people
expect something better.  Whether we know it or not, we are all pupils
in a massive ear-training project.  Each time a new synthesis technique
comes out, it has a lifetime of its own, governed by how long users
are willing to accept it as being lifelike and realistic...and the
outcome is that our ears are getting more sophisticated and demanding.

Please don't flame me for concentrating on the re-creation of natural
sounds...that's how this discussion began.  Many of the issues of what
makes a imitation of an acoustic instrument lifelike and pleasing is
directly applicable to what makes a newly-created sound interesting.

Greg Sandell