[comp.music] Music Education

eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) (03/16/90)

In article <9073@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> pa2253@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (pa2253) writes:
;In article <14531@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> roger@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Roger Lustig) writes:

;Princeton University--a university I'd like to attend in the Fall.  At
;such a university I can see the encouragement of possibility--whereas
;UCSD imposes a pedagogical theoretical curriculum which is founded upon
;rigid style analysis projects.  These projects waste the student's time
;by demanding that a specific task be performed without making the demand
;for synthesizing the task into a larger philosophical or theoretical
;framework.  By imposing upon the composers time,  they succeed in dictating
;musical preferences.

There's another possibility, which is to stay out of school altogether or
study something else. I'm perfectly serious.

The reason that there are such things as PhD programs in composition is that
back when, Milton Babbitt demonstrated to admissions that composition was
a rigorous activity, that theoretical studies were inevitably a part
of the compositional curriculum, and that composers were an autonomous lot
whose standards were as high as those set in other fields. Admissions
sez ok, you got a program.

About 30 years later none of the above is true. Composition is rigorous
activity if you want it to be, but no one sits on your back making sure
that you have a lengthy explanation for every sound in your piece. Theory
is less intrinsically part of the curriculum since the canonical theories
-- say, those of Schenker -- have been somewhat relativized, and it's
understood that you can get along perfectly well without them. Composers
are no longer an autonomous lot,  because few people really do believe
that just because your music sounds like shit therefore it must not be
or that just because your music doesn't sound like shit that therefore it
is. Composers today want to make some sort of appeal to a public, to
break into a bigger commission-claiming bracket, maybe even capture some
of the mainstream sector, as did Glass, Reich, Adams, etc. In short
standards of compositional excellence are no longer set, as they once
were, from within the university (or in Europe, the major administrative
organs, Darmstadt, Donaueschingen, etc). Result is that today music
departments have lost much of their claim -- indeed much of their need
-- to be tied to universities. Or they have as intrinsically as great a claim
to offer PhD's at research universities as would, say, fashion designers.

Some universities exaggerate the importance of theory studies because
of the need to articulate a cogent curriculum. You can't say, "we let our
students do whatever the fuck they want to because they're artists" and
have admissions agree. Admissions sez, "What is your curriculum." So
you must make one up. And given that historical-theoretical literacy is
low in this country, you make your undergrads do Fux. Not that they
must: but they must if there is to be a program. Sometimes you can learn
something from this anyway, sometimes it's completely irrelevant, sometimes
you just can't even do the stuff. But you're studying not because this
is the only known way to become a composer. You're studying because
this is a reasonably good way to make a program in composition. You can
prove that somebody learned how to do something.

If you go to school in Germany, you don't study theory. You have a few
subjects, but essentially you concentrate on composition. The catch is
that in order to get into a german conservatory, you have to plop down
a few scores that you wrote, like maybe something for big orchestra, maybe
a chamber piece. Then you do exams in which you prove that you can do
counterpoint. If you can't, they say "get a private teacher."

Stateside, this is what you do. You program your mac to record you playing
your casio, and you submit a song called "I really want to get into
your University," roughly in the style of Barry Manilow but even lousier.
You never heard anything written before 1961. You can't read music. So of
course it seems like a good idea to make university programs in composition
teach students about things like sonata form.

pa2253@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (pa2253) (03/17/90)

In article <14580@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) writes:
> (alot of information)

Very perceptive, Eliot.  I have neglect the relationship of
music departments to their larger parents:  the university
bureaucracy.  A program`s survival depends upon its perceived worth
in the eye`s of its funders.  Empirical tendencies in curricula
structure can justify a program regardless of its content.
Administrative bodies cannot be expected to understand compositional
values, so I can see that it is a true struggle to develop a program
that promotes freedom and restricts imposition as program evaluation
is the task of bureaucrats, not musicians.  With this reality
exposed,  I can only ask for as much freedom that I can get away
with.

Christopher Penrose
penrose@do.ucsd.edu

lseltzer@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Linda Ann Seltzer) (03/19/90)

>Some universities exaggerate the importance of theory studies because
>of the need to articulate a cogent curriculum. You can't say, "we let our
>students do whatever the fuck they want to because they're artists" and
>have admissions agree. Admissions sez, "What is your curriculum." So
>you must make one up. And given that historical-theoretical literacy is
>low in this country, you make your undergrads do Fux.

Ideally, a traditional music curriculum will separate the music of the
past from the commercialization which such music has suffered in the
modern performance and media world.  Perhaps at UCSD the traditional music
curriculum made the music of the past seem hackneyed, but if you will go
a bit north you will find a program at Berkeley which makes the music of
the past come alive and which engenders a love for traditional music,
both Western and non-Western.  Perhaps some students feel it is a waste
of time to devote several years of study to the music of the past, but
for others, especially those who have played an instrument for many
years, there is an honest desire to understand this music.  In the
context of such study the relationship between fields such as signal
processing and composers of the past becomes real as one understands the
acoustic properties of such music.  If a program is not honestly
inspiring students to appreciate music of the past, then there is
something wrong with the program, not something wrong with the idea of
having traditional music programs.

If you take exercises in harmony and counterpoint to be mere
manipulation of musical materials, then it may seem remote and
inaccessible.  But it is necesary to look at exercises as practice in
the work and experience of composition.  The chorale melodies were very
deeply religious and have very deep emotions associated with them if one
opens one's heart to them.  I found the practice of harmoniizng chorales
three times a week for two months to be a deeply religious meditation
practice which required many hours of devotion and concentration in
order to create harmonizations which were alive and which suited the
sentiment of the melodies and their context.  To the present day I still
play my chorale harmonizations as a means of putting myself in the frame
of mind to compose.

Emotions have to be spontaneous rather than forced, contrived or
controlled, and it is hoped that the natural emotion towards the music
of the past can be one of love and of separating the music and its truth
from any means by which the commercial media, such as radio stations,
have presented the past and distilled it of its meaning.  It is with
this sentiment that the study of traditional music is undertaken. The
purpose is not to engender means by which the composer can simply take
surface phenomena and mechanistically "apply" them.

As for the relationship between digitial signal processing and
traditional music, to say there is none is quite untrue.  The
relationships must be discovered by means of one's own insight and
one's own ability to view the past in a new light.

This is not to say that education in a traditional music is a *requisite*
for musical creativity.  I do see a traditional education as a desirable
and valuable experience in itself, however, which is worth the required
devotion and time.

mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) (04/13/90)

In article <14961@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> lseltzer@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Linda Ann Seltzer) writes:
>>>But what if I enjoy music tremendously and my family couldn't
>>>afford music lessons? Or they thought the 1812 Overture is the
>>>height of musical expression? Shouldn't I be allowed to enter
>>>on the basis of my enthusiasm and willingness to learn?
>
>This question is very close to my own experience.  I did not have
>the opportunity for musical training when I was a child, and it was
>only at the age of 19, when I was studying literature in college, that
>I became interested in music.  What finally worked for me was to enter
>a program as a non-degree student (I was in my early 30's when I entered
>Berkeley) and to take as much time as needed without constraints of
>requirements or time-of-completion.  The demographics of college
>enrollment indicate a larger percentage of older students than there
>were 20 years ago, and it would be helpful if excellent music schools
>devised a means to give them the proper preparation to enter a
>professional level performance program.

This key words in relationship to my comments is "give them proper
preparation."
  I don't care how old or young a student is.  If they are
*prepared* to enter a collegiate-level music degree program,
that's what counts.  So if someone decides at age 19, like Linda,
to study music, then a means of reaching that level of preparation
is great, but, again, not *within* the degree program!
  Another note re my own experience and preparation:  when I
entered a university music program as a freshman, I placed at the
beginning of my junior year in theory.  However, I was told that
I'd have to make up the *credit hours* in higher-level theory/comp
courses (which were sparsely offered) in spite of the competence
demonstrated.  Now if you compare that experience with the
constant observation of incompetent incoming students (and me, as
an accompanist teaching them their music, as they couldn't
read/learn it themselves!) you can see some of my frustration at
the inaneness of the situation.
  IMHO, if someone is able to demontrate competence, then by gum
they should get some kind of recognition/credit for that
competence!  But to penalize someone for it and then promote
*incompetence* elsewise is absurd.
  Linda is quite right about the need to look more closely at the
current age-demographics.  But let anyone entering a program be
ready for it, and if they are ready for it let them study, be they
13 or 35.

Cheers,

--Mark

Mark Gresham  ARTSNET  Norcross, GA, USA
E-mail:       ...gatech!artsnet!mgresham
or:          artsnet!mgresham@gatech.edu