Date: Fri, 1 Jun 90 23:06:22 BST
From: The Moderator (Stephen Page) <music-research-request@uk.ac.oxford.prg>
Subject: A new US distributor needed
To: music-research

Sadly, Brad Rubenstein is moving on to another site soon. This means that his
extremely valuable services as US (and elsewhere) redistributor of the Digest
will need to find a new home.

Essentially, this involves maintaining a mailing list and providing a gateway
into Usenet; it also involves keeping an archive server (although this could
be housed on another site if we get two volunteers!). A Unix environment is
almost essential to handle the kind of work required; we can supply scripts
and the source for the archive server.

Please think about this, Unix hackers -- Brad will be submitting a note giving
further details and calling for volunteers in a future Digest.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 May 90 11:01:37 MEZ
From: Schaffrath <JMP100@EARN.DE0HRZ1A>
Subject: ICTM STG Info no. 30
To: Stephen Page <Stephen.Page@uk.ac.oxford.prg>

[ Although some of the conferences below have already been listed in the Digest,
  this INFO from Prof. Schaffrath collects them together, so I have included
  them in case anyone missed anything earlier. Also, there are some interesting
  notes from a Tokyo reader of his INFO included below.  - S ]

 ICTM STUDY GROUP:          INFO * 30 *                       p. 1

 Universit{t Essen - Gesamthochschule
 FB 4, Musik
 Prof. Dr. Helmut Schaffrath
 4300 Essen 1                   e-mail: JMP100@DE0HRZ1A(EARN)

 Co-Chairman of the "Study Group on Computer Aided Research"
 in the "INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL for TRADITIONAL MUSIC"
 (ICTM)

                                                  Essen, May 15, 1990

    STG-MEETINGs and conferences

    The Study  Group of  Analysis and  Systematisation of  Folk Music
    meets in Santiago de Compostela from Sept. 17 to 22.  We have not
    succeeded in  planning the two  meetings without the  interval of
    one week,  for our meeting in Marseille will be held from Septem-
    ber 29 to 30.  This again leaves a two day interval for those who
    want to attend the MIM conference (see INFO29).

    Data on the STG-meeting in Marseille

                  "TRANSCRIPTION OF TRADITIONAL MUSIC"
             MEETING OF THE STUDY GROUP ON COMPUTER RESEARCH
           International Council for Traditional Music (ICTM)
                  29-30 September in Marseille (France)
                       (Organised by ISTAR France)

    This meeting is an informal seminar focussing on problems encoun-
    tered with the transcription,  analysis and archiving of music in
    oral traditions.   Most  members of the Study  Group have already
    introduced their work in previous meetings in Essen (FRG), Berlin
    (DDR) and in Edinburgh (UK).   Since the field is in rapid evolu-
    tion, however, it is beneficial to maintain regular contacts.  In
    addition, we invite non-members to participate in discussions and
    present their own work.   The STG meeting will also introduce the
    roundtable  "From musical  reality  to computer  implementations"
    proposed by B. Vecchione, B. Bel and J.  Kippen in the MAI Confe-
    rence from 3-6 October (see next announcement).  Depending on the
    number  of communications,   the  meeting  may be  extended  over
    October 1-2.

    ADDRESS:

    Auberge de Jeunesse de Bois-Luzy (Youth Hostel), Chateau de Bois-
    Luzy Allee des Primeveres, F-13012 Marseille

    Tel. (033) 91 49 06 18

    The Youth Hostel is a 19th century castle on a hill,  in a peace-
    ful environment with a splendid view on the old city.  Meals will
    be served at the Youth Hostel.

     TIMING (provisional):

     9H30  - 12H30                      14H30 - 17H30
     an evening of music and dance is scheduled on 30.

    ACCOMODATION:

    All meals will be served at the Youth Hostel.  Rooms will be mai-
    de available to participants.   Depending on the number of parti-
    cipants, accomodation may be one or two per room.   Please return
    the application form at the end of this Info.

    COST OF ACCOMODATION:
     Rooms: FF 37 (approx. US $ 6) per night per person
     Camping: FF 17 per night per person
     Breakfast: FF 13            Lunch or dinner: FF 38

    REGISTRATION:

    An entrance fee of FF 200 (approx.  US $ 30) will be asked to co-
    ver expenses. Participants who wish to stay in the MAI Conference
    (3-6 October) may apply for special arrangements.

    MIM - conference

     M       M         A          I      "MUSIQUE ET ASSISTANCE INFORMATIQUE"
     MM     MM        A A         I
     M M   M M       A   A        I       MUSIC AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
     M  M M  M      A     A       I
     M   M   M     AAAAAAAAA      I       3 - 6 OCTOBER 1990
     M       M    A         A     I       LA VIEILLE CHARITE, MARSEILLE (FRANCE)

                2ND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ORGANISED BY
         LABORATOIRE MUSIQUE ET INFORMATIQUE DE MARSEILLE (MIM)

                (ENGLISH-FRENCH SIMULTANEOUS TRANSLATION)

    COMMITTEE:

    Jean-Paul Allouche, Mira Balaban,  Mario Baroni,  Francois Bayle,
    Bernard Bel, John Blacking(+), Lelio Camilleri, Helene Charnasse,
    Marc Chemillier,  Francois Delalande,  Giovanni De Poli,  Roberto
    Doati, Marcel Fremiot, Pascal Gobin, Jim Kippen, Otto Laske, Marc
    Leman,  Christoph Lischka,  Alan Marsden,  Andre Mouret,   Michel
    Philippot, Guy Reibel, Andre Riotte, Bernard Vecchione

    SPONSORS:

    City of Marseille, French Ministry of Culture, European Council

     TOPICS:

    - Theory  and methodology  of  musical  analysis and  composition
       (representation of  the thought processes  of the  analyst and
       the composer, etc.)

    - Modelling    and   formalising    analysis   and    composition
       (transcription,  symbolic or  logic representations,  grammars
       and automata, representations of sound, structure, time, etc.)

    - Computer-aided composition and analysis

    - Expertise (analytical and  compositional expertise,  procedural
       or rule-based approaches,  expert  systems,  machine learning,
       parallel distributed processes, connectionist models, etc.)

    - Music and Humanities (cognitive psychology, perception, memori-
       zation, anthropological approaches, semiotics, etc.)

       ROUNDTABLES (10H00 - 17H00):

       C. Lischka & M. Leman: "Can parallel-distributed systems gene-
       rate musical structures?"

       O. Laske: "Composition theory"

       F.  Bayle: "Computer assistance for the graphic representation
       of electroacoustic musical works"

       A.  Riotte: "Formalization and mathematical/computer models of
       musical scores"

       B. Vecchione, B. Bel, J. Kippen: "From musical reality to com-
       puter implementations"

       Authors  of the  communications published  in the  proceedings
       will take part in the roundtables:

       P. Beyls, E.B. Blevis, M. Boroda, A.  Camurri, F.  Courtot, F.
       Degrassi, M. Dessainte-Catherine, J.  Duthen & M.  Stroppa, J.
       Jones, H. Katayose, E. Pedler & R. Cagnasso, S. Rao & D.  Bis-
       was, R.  Roozendaal, U.  Seiffert, A.  Smail & G.  Wiggins, S.
       Smoliar, J. Tal & U. Shimony, A. Veitl, J. Zhou.

       CONCERTS:

       3-4-5-6 October  at 21H00,   Conservatoire National  de Region
       (Annexe Melchion)

       Musical works by:

       F. Bayle, L. Camilleri, R. Doati, J. Dorival & Y.  Orlarey, M.
       Fremiot, P. Gaigne, P. Gobin, P. Kosk, O. Laske, A. Mouret, M.
       Philippot, A. Riotte, F. Villa.

       SOFTWARE DEMONSTRATION (daily)

       PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS OF MUSICAL WORKS (daily)

        REGISTRATION:

       FF 500 (approx.  US $ 80) including the proceedings which will
       be available on the premisses of the Conference.

       Student registration (without proceedings): FF 150
       Registration gives admission to all concerts.

       INFORMATION:

       Detailed information, hotel reservation form,  orders for pro-
       ceedings:
                   Laboratoire MIM, 36 Bd Pardigon, F-13004 Marseille
                   Tel. (033) 91 50 03 75
        E-mail contact: bel@frmop11.bitnet

       AI-conference

       The 1990 Artificial Intelligence and Music Workshop,  which is
       the third annual meeting of researchers in that field, will be
       held in the context of the  ECAI (European Conference on A.I.)
       in Stockholm, on August 7, 1990, this year.

       The organizers of the workshop are:
        1. Antonio Camurri, Genova, Italy
           <music@dist.dist.unige.it>
        2. Mira Balaban, Beer Sheva, Israel
           <mira%bengus.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
        3. Kemal Ebcioglu, Yorktown Height, N.Y., USA
           <kemal@ibm.com>
        4. Otto Laske, Boston, MA
           <laske@bu-cs.bu.edu>
        5. Marc Leman, Ghent, Belgium
           <musico%bgerug51.bitnet>
        6. Christoph Lischka, Bonn, F.R.G.
           <charli%gmdzi.uucp@relay.CS.net>

       A call for submissions of papers will go out soon. For further
       information at  this point,   please contact  Antonio Camurri.
       Otto Laske
        January 13, 90

       COMPUTERS IN MUSIC RESEARCH

        7-10 April 1991
        The Queen's University of Belfast

                             Call for Papers and Demonstrations

       Following the success  of the conference at  the University of
       Lancaster in 1988, a second conference on the use of computers
       in all branches of musical research  is to be held from Sunday
       7 to Wednesday 10 April 1991 at The Queen's University of Bel-
       fast.  As before, the emphasis will be on approaches, methods,
       tools and practicalities.   Computers are by now commonly used
       for musical research: for the storage and manipulation of lar-
       ge amounts of data,  for the  production of musical scores and
       musical sounds,  in the composition of pieces,  for the model-
       ling of cognitive processes,  for  the testing of theory,  and
       for a whole host of other purposes.  Yet music creates its own
       computing problems,  and these are often shared between a num-
       ber of musical disciplines.  Thus it is useful to have a forum
       where analysts  can meet  with ethnomusicologists,   composers
       with educationalists,  psychologists with historical musicolo-
       gists, and so on,  to share ideas,  experiences,  problems and
       solutions in the use of computers.

       PAPERS of about 30 minutes duration are invited.  Abstracts of
       400-500 words  should be sent to  Alan Marsden at  the address
       below,  to arrive by 1 August 1990 at the latest.   Authors of
       papers accepted  for presentation  at the  conference will  be
       informed by 15 October and asked  to send an extended abstract
       for inclusion  in the conference  handbook by 1  January 1991.
       If possible,  please send abstracts by electronic mail so that
       they can be easily distributed to the programme committee.

       DEMONSTRATIONS  of hardware  and  software  are also  invited.
       Send a description in no more than 250 words of the item(s) to
       be demonstrated,  and their function,   to Alan Marsden at the
       address below by 1 August 1990  at the latest,  if possible by
       electronic mail.   Submissions  for both a paper  and a demon-
       stration relating to a single project are welcome.

       QUEEN'S UNIVERSITY  has hosted a  number of  highly successful
       conferences in recent years (e.g.  the British Association for
       the Advancement of Science in  1988 with 2800 delegates),  and
       is proving to be a popular  venue.   This conference will take
       place in the Music Department,   a spacious Edwardian building
       on the main University site adjacent to the Botanical Gardens,
       about a mile south of the City centre.   Accommodation will be
       available in the nearby Queen's Elms Halls.   The  cost of at-
       tending the conference (including  accommodation and meals but
       excluding travel) is likely to be about 110 pounds.  A concert
       of music related to the conference proceedings is planned, and
       also an excursion to see some of the scenic beauty of Northern
       Ireland (e.g. the world-famous "Giant's Causeway") immediately
       preceding or following the conference.

       Programme Committee:   Prof.   Lelio Camilleri,  Conservatorio
       "L.Cherubini"/CNUCE, Florence, Italy Prof. Jim Kippen, Univer-
       sity of Toronto, Canada Dr.  Alan Marsden, The Queen's Univer-
       sity of Belfast, Northern Ireland Dr. Anthony Pople, Lancaster
       University, England Dr.  Eleanor Selfridge-Field, CCARH, Menlo
       Park CA, USA

       For further details,  contact  the conference organiser:   Dr.
       Alan Marsden  Department of  Music The  Queen's University  of
       Belfast Belfast  BT7 1NN Northern Ireland

       Email:      A.Marsden@uk.ac.qub.v1
             or    A.Marsden@v1.qub.ac.uk
             or    A.Marsden%v1.qub.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
             or    A.Marsden%qub.v1@ukacrl.bitnet

       Member's project on computer aided composition

       My main  research interest  is computer-aided  composition and
       the modelling of composition processes by computer.   I am not
       trying to imitate any given style though, but rather trying to
       develop my own.   I am interested in applying methods from the
       fields of cellular automata,  fractals  and neural networks to
       compose music.   On the other hand,   coming from the field of
       ethnomusicology (traditional  music),  with  main subject  the
       near-eastern and especially greek and turkish musical traditi-
       ons,   I am  deliberately  moving  away from  Western  musical
       aesthetics,  and trying to study and apply those of the tradi-
       tional musics that interest me.

       I am working mainly on   a Symbolics LISP-Machine running "Ge-
       nera" version 7.2.  This Operating System provides a very com-
       prehensive Common Lisp environment and equally extensive user-
       interface programming facilities.   Furthermore, Genera Common
       Lisp contains is a substantial extension based on the "Flavor"
       concept, that embodies a powerful object-oriented  programming
       philosophy.  My initial experiences up  to now have  been very
       positive. The plans are to have  the UCSD "CARL" software run-
       ning on the SUN  Network at the Ohsuga Lab,  as  well as other
       UNIX sound synthesis software.

       Also, we have a Mac SE/30, to which I attached a Proteus sound
       module.  I am currently trying to interface this with the Lisp
       Machine over standard MIDI files and the Vision sequencer,  as
       well as experimental software such as preFORM et al.  I am not
       very pleased with  the sounds of Proteus,  but  with work,  it
       should be able to get some less  shiny but finer sounds out of
       it.   (Question: Is anyone from our group working with Allegro
       Common Lisp or Smalltalk on the Mac?)

       I think  cellular automata may  be useful in  creating complex
       polyphonic (also polyrhythmic) structures,  with different de-
       grees of control over melodic, harmonic and rhythmic features.
       Fractal characteristics are often  recognizable in the melodic
       structure of modal,  highly ornamented melodic music,  such as
       the greek orthodox church music and turkish art music.   It is
       interesting to  note this  in improvised  music,  such  as the
       "taksim" of near eastern musics,  as  there may be deeper per-
       ceptual and senso-motoric reasons for the preference of highly
       recursive patterns over different time-span levels.   Finally,
       neural networks,  being  conceived to bridge the  gaps between
       different perceptual and conceptual levels,  may be a good ap-
       proach when trying to consider  the interaction of sound para-
       meters over different  time-span and conceptual levels  as for
       example timbre,   amplitude and  pitch in  microstructure (the
       structure of single notes or musical events) and macrostructu-
       re (the structure of motivs, phrases, melodies).   Such an ap-
       proach necessarily goes beyond the use of 12 notes per octave,
       but I doubt whether the term "microtonal music",  which is so-
       metimes used, is appropriate.

       Greetings to all colleagues and best  wishes for the new deca-
       de.

       Iannis Zannos, Tokyo

       Converting ESAC to DARMS

       Frans Wiering  wrote a program  which converts ESAC  to DARMS.
       It is written in ICON, a public domain programming language, a
       copy of  which would be  needed to run  the program (it  is an
       interpreted language).

       The program "END"  accepts both formats described  in the ESAC
       manual (STAIRS and AskSam) and either translates into standard
       DARMS code (as described in Erickson's  manual 1976)  or in NP
       DARMS for  printing the code  withe The Note  Processor.  This
       DARMS dialect ins described in Stephen Dydo's NP manual.

       We have tested the program version 1.02 and must say it works.

       END is distributed on the condition that the receiver makes no
       further copies except for personal  or institutional use.  In-
       stead,   persons or  institutions  interested  in the  program
       should contact the author for a free copy. His address:

        Frans Wiering
        Insituut voor Muziekwetenschap
        Spuistraat 134
        NL-1012 VB Amsterdam

       e-mail: WIERING @ALF.LET.UVA.NL

       News on Archiving

       When we started our computer aided archiving programs in 1983,
       we dreamed  of lazer  disks to store  the whole  music archive
       including verbal  information.  At least  one part  has become
       reality now in Holland. The Music Catalogue of the Netherlands
       (MCN) sells its catalogue of "some 200,000 comprehensive title
       descriptions of printed music, in principle allowing virtually
       every detail to be retrieved" on CD-ROM available with English
       and Dutch  system messages.   It performs on  any PC  (640 KB)
       connected to a CD-ROM player.

       More can be received from:
        MCN MUSICROM
        Postbus 119