[comp.music] "Trance Music"

mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) (06/30/90)

In article <2070@mindlink.UUCP> a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) writes:
>> Why do musics used in religious trance rituals always have the same elements
>> in common, namely repetitive polyrythms?
>
>I would postulate that it is done to distort the time sense of the people
>listening.

I would suggest there is more to it than distortion of the sense
of time alone.  Most people have difficulty at judging accurately
how much time has elapsed with most kinds of music, or just
sitting quietly (even reading, for example).
  Repetition of anything, any behavior or observed event, seems to
have a more direct impact on altering the actual state of agents of
thought and memory.  [At this point, I ought to call on Steve Smoliar
to comment or elaborate.]
  Also, note that such music, where it is a normal part of the
culture, is not often dislocated from movement, rite, and community
participation.  (The various Sanghyang of Bali, for one example.)

Cheers,

--Mark

Mark Gresham  ARTSNET  Norcross, GA, USA
E-mail:       ...gatech!artsnet!mgresham
or:          artsnet!mgresham@gatech.edu