Date: Mon, 9 Jul 90 11:41:21 EDT
From: Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@mil.brl>
Subject: German
To: sdpage <sdpage%uk.ac.oxford.prg@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay>

I am seeking help via archive-server regarding an issue I accidentally
deleted today.  It has some German in it, and I see special characters
such as } appearing therein, and I am not sure where I'd inquire regarding
the meaning of such special characters.

[ Moderator's reply: ]

The strange characters result from the display of a German ASCII-like
character set. From my weak German knowledge, I would suggest the following:
   { - a-umlaut
   } - u-umlaut
   [ - A-umlaut
   ] - U-umlaut
   | - o-umlaut
I assume that O-umlaut is also translated, but I didn't see any of those in the
message you are trying to decrypt.
If this looks tedious, imagine the fun our German readers must have when we
put things in square brackets or braces!

  - S

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jul 90 19:16:44 GMT
From: Carey Richard Murphey <rich%brazos@edu.rice>
Subject: need advice on choosing a typewritten notation
To: music-research@prg

In article <1641@yenta.alb.nm.us> dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) writes:
   I have rather a humbler objective.  I would like to develop or use an existing
   system of representing music in ascii format.

David points out some good objectives for an ascii representation --
one is standardization.  Two other objectives for the format should be
readability and ease of parsing.  Using _ and = is attractive since it
saves keystrokes and makes parsing easy.  However, you run out of
special characters as you add other note durations to the list, so you
will eventually need an additional form to indicate numerically the
duration of the note (e.g. 3/128 th note).

 The octave relative to middle C could be indicated by a digit in
front of the note name:
                0C is middle C
                -1C is one octave below
                1C is one octave above
This would avoid context sensitivity.

    The duration could be indicated by either special characters or
numeric values after the note name:
                C' or C1/2 for a half
                C` or C1/3 for a third
                C= or C1/4 for a quarter note
                C- or C1/8 for a eighth note
                C+ or C1/16 for a sixteenth note
    The concatenation of several durations would represent the sum of
their seperate durations. Sharp and flat could be indicated by the
characters # and b respectively front of the note name (which would be
a capital letter).

    Length, note, and octave seem to be the types of data we need to
represent, and this is just the `tip of the iceberg'.  If there were a
standard to follow, we would have an easier time of developing the
software to manipulate it.  I'd like to develop something to assist
entering music using GNU emacs, and a translator to MuTeX in order to
typeset melodies.  I'll eventually post something to the net....

    If there isn't an ascii format, perhaps there are a few binary or
text formats which have addressed similar problems.  So far, MuTeX is
the only text format I've seen, and it doesn't seem to be very
well-known.

Rich
--
Rich@Rice.edu

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jul 90 02:25:14 GMT
From: Alvin Henry White <Alvin%cup.portal.com%portal%fernwood@net.uu.uunet>
Subject: Time change without pitch change
To: music-research@prg

Recent discussion has included books on massageing waveforms.  I am
interested in the ability to change time without changing  pitch.  This
then allow one to set a locally made tape of a poetic reading of a
commercial such as "Eat at Joe's diner, on the corner of nth and etc."
to the prerecorded classical or other musical background.
  In the discussion of a book by F. Richard Moore called ELEMENTS OF
COMPUTER MUSIC I think I heard mention of pitch change without time change.
If anyone knows if time change without pitch change is also contimplated I
would like to know. Also other source.
  It seems someone also mentioned that it might take sixty seconds of large
scale number crunching to get one second of sound.  Parallel processing may
improve this and some of the supercomputer centers might need extra work.
 Imagin patching a duet of Michael Gorbechev and Ronald Regan singing
what a friend we have in jesus or the "international."

End of Music-Research Digest