[comp.music] Frequency shifting

ctdonath@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Carl T. Donath) (07/20/90)

I just got an interesting spec sheet...

OKI Semiconductor (tel 408-720-1900) sells the "MSM6322 Speech Signal
Pitch Control LSI" chip. To quote part of the sheet:

"General: The MSM6322 converts in realtime the pitch of the speech signal
in a range of one octave upward or downward.
Two pitch control methods can be selected. one is to change the pitch in
17 steps by two switch inputs, and the other is to select one of 16
steps by four binary input lines.
Since a microphone preamplifier and a low pass filter are built in, the
pitch conversion set can easily be configured by connecting a microphone,
amplifier, and speaker in the peripheral circuit.

"Features:
- Built-in microphone preamp
- Built-in low pass filters (4th order LPF on input and 3rd order on output)
- Built-in 8-bit A/D converter
- Built-in 9-bit D/A converter
- Speech pitch alterable in 17 steps
- Oscillation frequency at 4MHz
- 5v single power supply
- 24-pin plastic flat package
- Silicon construction (Si gate CMOS IC)
Note: designed for application to home electronic equipment (toys)"

There's a couple of application circuits given that are very simple
to build.

Thought this might be useful to whoever is discussing time/frequency
shifting...

- Carl

davisonj@ecn.purdue.edu (John M Davison) (07/20/90)

	In the interest of accurate, consistent terminology, I am
compelled to point out that frequency shifting and pitch shifting are
two very different things; let's keep it that way.

Pitch shifting = frequency scaling
freq(new) = freq(old) * factor

Frequency shifting:
freq(new) = freq(old) + factor

-davisonj@en.ecn.purdue.edu

bw@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Bill Wilhelmi) (07/24/90)

/ hpcvlx:comp.music / davisonj@ecn.purdue.edu (John M Davison) /  7:53 am  Jul 20, 1990 /

 >	In the interest of accurate, consistent terminology, I am
 >compelled to point out that frequency shifting and pitch shifting are
 >two very different things; let's keep it that way.
 >
 >Pitch shifting = frequency scaling
 >freq(new) = freq(old) * factor
 >
 >Frequency shifting:
 >freq(new) = freq(old) + factor
 >
 >-davisonj@en.ecn.purdue.edu
 >----------

Being on the fringe of this sort of stuff, I can't help but notice an
oddity.  If factor = (2 * freq(old)), then

   freq(new) = freq(old) + factor    [ Freq Shift ]
	     = freq(old) + 2 * freq(old)
             = freq(old) * 3         [ Pitch Shift ]

For Pitch Shifting and Frequency Shifting to have any differentiation of
meaning, severe constraints must be placed "factor".   The point is that
according to the definition above, the value of "factor" doesn't seem
to give enough information about whether the shift is a Pitch or Frequency
shift.  The only difference seems to be that pitch shifts are large-scale
frequency shifts.  But they still both modify the frequency.  Am I missing
some big point?

Bill Wilhelmi
 USMail: Hewlett-Packard - Interface Technology Operation
         1000 NE Circle Blvd.  Corvallis, OR 97330
 ARPA:   bw%hp-pcd@hplabs.HP.COM
 UUCP:   {ihnp4, cmcl2, decvax, sun, rice, tektronix}!hplabs!hp-pcd!bw

jthornto@fs1.ee.ubc.ca (THORNTON JOHAN A) (07/25/90)

In article <110260001@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> bw@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Bill Wilhelmi) writes:
>/ hpcvlx:comp.music / davisonj@ecn.purdue.edu (John M Davison) /  7:53 am  Jul 20, 1990 /
> >Pitch shifting = frequency scaling
> >freq(new) = freq(old) * factor
> >
> >Frequency shifting:
> >freq(new) = freq(old) + factor
>
>Being on the fringe of this sort of stuff, I can't help but notice an
>oddity.  If factor = (2 * freq(old)), then
>
>   freq(new) = freq(old) + factor    [ Freq Shift ]
>	     = freq(old) + 2 * freq(old)
>             = freq(old) * 3         [ Pitch Shift ]
>

>For Pitch Shifting and Frequency Shifting to have any differentiation of
>meaning, severe constraints must be placed "factor".   The point is that
>according to the definition above, the value of "factor" doesn't seem
>to give enough information about whether the shift is a Pitch or Frequency
>shift.  The only difference seems to be that pitch shifts are large-scale
>frequency shifts.  But they still both modify the frequency.  Am I missing
>some big point?
>
>Bill Wilhelmi

Well, yes.  Let's look at a signal that contains a 100Hz, a 200Hz and a
300Hz sine.  The spectrum of this signal is:

 |   |   |   |
 |   |   |   |
 ---------------------
 0   1   2   3   4   5  (x 100Hz)

If we do a pitch shift on this, say a factor of 1.5, we do
       f = f(old) * 1.5

and get  frequencies of 150, 300 and 450 Hz.  This new signal will sound
like the old one but a perfect fifth higher.  The new spectrum is:

 |     |     |     |
 |     |     |     |
 ---------------------
 0   1   2   3   4   5

If we do a frequency shift on the original signal, say by 50Hz, we do

       f =  f(old) + 50

and get 150, 250 and 350 Hz.  Note that these no longer have the same
harmonic relationship.  The spectrum now looks like:

 |     |   |   |
 |     |   |   |
 ---------------------
 0   1   2   3   4   5

A pitch change stretches the spectrum while a frequency shift slides it.
A frequency shift will generally change a  harmonic sound into an
inharmonic sound.

 -------  _/__/   -----------------------------------------------------
        _|  ___|    E l e c t r i c a l      |  Johan Thornton, Esq.
       |-| |/__     o f   B r i t i s h      |-------------------------
 ----  |__|/_|   ------------------------------------------------------

davisonj@ecn.purdue.edu (John M Davison) (07/25/90)

In article <110260001@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> bw@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Bill Wilhelmi) writes:
>For Pitch Shifting and Frequency Shifting to have any differentiation of
>meaning, severe constraints must be placed "factor".   The point is that
>according to the definition above, the value of "factor" doesn't seem
>to give enough information about whether the shift is a Pitch or Frequency
>shift.  The only difference seems to be that pitch shifts are large-scale
>frequency shifts.  But they still both modify the frequency.  Am I missing
>some big point?

	The aforementioned factor is not, as you suggest, some
function of the incoming frequency.  It is a real, positive constant.
(Of course, if the models were modified so that the "factor" is
another input, the factor could be real, positive function, including
functions of the audio input.  However, this is not central to the
operation of either frequency-modifying signal processor.)

-davisonj@en.ecn.purdue.edu

bw@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Bill Wilhelmi) (07/27/90)

Could anyone tell that I am not an EE?

Thanks for the responses--this is an interesting topic.

- Bill Wilhelmi

Alvin@cup.portal.com (Alvin Henry White) (07/29/90)

A ne to say again why I need time change without pitch change.  I have a
tape recording of a book.  I have the book.  I am trying to use it to teach
someone to read.  The recording goes so fast that the reader, who is just
trying to learn the language, is too slow to be able to find, or follow,
the place in the book.  I have a shareware program called Music Transcription
System that has something similar to the old bouncing ball sing-a-long that
will point to each syllable in time to the music.  The operator can change
the metronome speed and the music changes speed.  I just bought a new thing
called a Sound Blaster Card that says it has sampling. If I record the words
in a set of sound files linked to a dictionary I would like to make it read
in time to the music. In essence, as fast or as slow as the child would feel
comfortable reading as they gain profficiency. Following the bouncing ball.

Alvin H. White, Gen. Sect.
G.O.D.S.B.R.A.I.N.
1505 De Rose Way #66
San Jose, CA 95126
USA

[ alvin@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal.cup.portal.com!alvin ]

Government Online Database Systems
Bureau for Resource Allocations to Information Networks

dbell@cup.portal.com (David J Bell) (07/29/90)

Alvin, I don't know where you would find one of these today, but
my wife bought a cassette recorder several years ago that would be
just the ticket: I believe it was by Panasonic, I'll find out if
you need the name. It looks like a standard portable casette deck,
but has a little slide pot that runs from something like 50% to
maybe 250% speed. The principle intent of this was to allow you
to play a lecture tape back *faster* than normal, to get more
comprehension in a given period of time, but it can also sloowwwww
things down, and have them still quite understandable. The signal
procssor was mostly a single analog shift register chip made especially
for this purpose...

Dave       dbell@cup.portal.com