[comp.music] Music-Research Digest Vol. 5, #78

music-research@HPLPM.HPL.HP.COM (09/02/90)

Music-Research Digest       Sun,  2 Sep 90       Volume 5 : Issue  78

Today's Topics:
                 Administrivia: New US redistributor
                    computer music degree programs
            Degree Granting Institutions in Computer Music
                        fibre optic standard?
                               FORMULA
                      Kirk Austin Midi Libraries
                            Music Notation
                  Request for references... (2 msgs)
                     Reviews of Coda's MusicProse
                    where R "music" & Eric Foxley?

*** Send contributions to Music-Research@uk.ac.oxford.prg
*** Send administrative requests to Music-Research-Request

*** Overseas users should reverse UK addresses and give gateway if necessary
***     e.g.   Music-Research@prg.oxford.ac.uk
***     or     Music-Research%prg.oxford.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

*** Back issues, index, etc.: send "help" in a message to archive-server
***   @uk.ac.oxford.prg (in the UK); archive access for elsewhere
***   will be announced shortly.

Date: Sun, 2 Sep 90 09:51:00 BST
From: Stephen.Page@prg
Subject: Administrivia: New US redistributor
To: music-research

Readers outside the UK will be receiving this from the new US redistributor,
Peter Marvit <marvit@hplpm.hpl.hp.com>. The Archive isn't available yet
but will be shortly - watch this space.

I am sure our readers join me in wishing Peter a very warm welcome and thank
him for volunteering; and in wishing his predecessor, Brad Rubenstein, all
the best in his new life in France.

For those wishing to stay in touch with Brad, his address is now
bradr@ircam.fr.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 90 09:42:09 -0700
From: Richard Karpen <karpen@edu.washington.acs.blake>
Subject: computer music degree programs
To: music-research@prg

I would like to add to the list of schools offering degrees and/or
extensive training in computer music the School of Music at the
University of Washington. We have an undergraduate major in
Music Technology and have an extensive series of courses in
Computer Music at the graduate level (a 3 course series in
software synthesis, a 3 course series in more advanced DSP, pychoacoustics,
and more!). For more information see the latest issue of the CMA
newsletter ARRAY.

Richard Karpen
School of Music
University of Washington
Seattle, WA

------------------------------

Date: 20 Aug 90 08:33:25 GMT
From: Douglas Terrebonne <dougt%zorch%vsi1%daver%mips%sdd.hp.com@edu.ucsd>
Subject: Degree Granting Institutions in Computer Music
To: music-research@prg

I am now attending Cogswell Polytechnica; College in Cupertino, CA.
It is one of the few places to offer a BS in Music Engineering Technology.

      Doug

------------------------------

Date: 29 Aug 90 05:28:47 GMT
From: Jaime Villacorte <jaime%tcville%hacgate%elroy.jpl.nasa.gov@com.dec.decwrl>
Subject: fibre optic standard?
To: music-research@prg

In article <5200@munnari.oz.au> apeel@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Andrew Gregory Peel) writes:

>   I have some technical questions regarding the optical fibre capability
>(used for transmission of AES-EBU serial music data) of some high-end audio
>equipment.

	There is a paper titled "Fiber Optic Link for Digital Audio
Interface" by Shigeyuki Sakura, et al., from the Solid State Device
Engineering First Dept., Toshiba Corporation, Kawasaki, Japan. It is
in the August 1988 IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Vol 34, No. 3,
p. 667-670. This paper might provide answers to some of your questions.

					- jaime villacorte

                  Hughes Aircraft Co, EDSG     jaime@tcville.hac.com
           Image and Signal Processing Lab     jaime%tcville@hac2arpa.hac.com
POB 902, MS E52/D203, El Segundo, CA 90245     (213) 616-8954

------------------------------

Date: 29 Aug 90 11:35:49 GMT
From: Michael O'Dell <mo%messy@com.bellcore>
Subject: FORMULA
To: music-research@prg

The FORMULA system was described in a Transactions on Computer Systems
"recent" issue (within the last year).  The music issues were very
interesting.  It was, however, one of the most original Operating Systems
papers I've read in recent memory.  It unifies a lot of things
under a common conceptual umbrella. IMHO, genuinely stunning work.

	-Mike

------------------------------

Date: 27 Aug 90 10:05:40 GMT
From: Victor Grund <grund%pyrite%usenet.ins.cwru.edu@edu.ohio-state.cis.tut>
Subject: Kirk Austin Midi Libraries
To: music-research@prg

I'm extremely interested in chatting with anybody who has some experience
using Kirk Austin's public domain MIDI libraries for Think Pascal.

Please drop me a line (via email) if you've used these libraries!

--
Victor D. Grund                 | grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu [129.22.48.4]
Computer Science Department     | uunet!cwjcc!pyrite!grund

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 90 13:48:28 PDT
From: Brad Rubenstein <bradr@com.sun.eng>
Subject: Music Notation
To: music-research@prg

Date: 29 Aug 90 01:46:10 GMT
From: David Rosenbaum <daver%boa.gatech.edu%prism%sun13%stat%uflorida%uakari.primate.wisc.edu%zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu%swrinde@
Subject: Request for references...
To: music-research@prg

I'm working on a survey of computer music systems.  I'm especially
interested in a) those that have been parallelized or are good
candidates for parallelization; b) those having real-time capabilities;
and c) those that are interesting in some way from an operating system
point of view (e.g. FORMULA, which incorporates some interesting
concepts in process scheduling).

Any references would be greatly appreciated; I'll summarize and post
the results.

Thanks in advance,
David Rosenbaum
daver@cc.gatech.edu

------------------------------

Date: 29 Aug 90 14:44:07 GMT
From: Ronald Alford <alfordr%male%newstop%sun-barr%cs.utexas.edu%usc@edu.ucsd>
To: music-research@prg

I'm very much interested in your results.  I've attempted to find a
single system that would handle the Csound library, including phase-
vocodor, fm, and sample editing (or resynthesis, etc.) such that I
could manipulate everything for live performance.  Since it seems
that your request might dig such possibilities out of the woodwork,
or that you may find someone who has something cooking in that direction,
I am anxious to hear of the results you receive.

NeXT has many of the possibilities, with a DSP built in, and an after-
market digitizer that gets to the 16-bit input.  But, its tools to
handle other aspects of such a system as I want are not yet available.

A lot of other systems on the market are becoming available to
digitally record several tracks, and manipulate that data for
purposes of sync with SMPTE, etc.  Several of these are designed
around the IBM/PC 286 or 386 architecture.  They've been advertised
in Computer Music Journal also.

I believe Atari ST's use the ADAP I and II systems from Hybrid Arts
for much the same purposes.  I have heard only rumors that someone
may do other software for that system.

Then there's the DigiDesign system for the Mac II.  I know about it
only what I read in magazines.  It was't demonstrated at MacWorld
in San Francisco, meaning they thought it unlikely that a potential
customer would attend that show.  I don't know where I could see a
demonstration aside from arriving at their door in Menlo Park and
demanding a personal view.

Let me know if you find anything exciting.

ron
 ___
 |  | MUSITRONICS                            |  computer music
O  O   ron alford                            |  found sound

------------------------------

Date: 31 Aug 90 01:37:55 GMT
From: Daniel Briggs <nraoaoc%nmt.edu%unmvax@edu.berkeley.ucbvax>
Subject: Reviews of Coda's MusicProse
To: music-research@prg

Can anyone out there detail any experience they may have had with Coda's
MusicProse?  I am just looking for a Macintosh based sheet music editor.
The one that comes with Finale would be ideal, but that package is $558.
I would not use any of the MIDI functions at all, so this is out of the
question.  Does MusicProse bear any family resemblance to Finale?
Pointers to published reviews are also solicited.  If I get much response,
I will summarize to the net.  Thanks!

--
This is a shared guest account, please send replies to
dbriggs@nrao.edu (Internet)

------------------------------

Date: 27 Aug 90 22:34:13 GMT
From: Marc Sabatella <mjs%hpfcso@com.hp.hpl.hplabs>
Subject: where R "music" & Eric Foxley?
To: music-research@prg

I have seen a paper on a very impressive (blows MuTex out of the water) music
typesetting programming called "music", which is apparently a troff
preprocessor.  The article was by Eric Foxley, with a listed E-mail address
of <ef@cs.nott.ac.uk>, but no one here has been able to reach him at this
address.

Does anyone know where I can reach Eric, or know how I can go about getting a
copy of "music"?  Email responses appreciated; I'll post when I find a path
to "music".

Marc Sabatella (marc@hpmonk.fc.hp.com)

[ I still have Eric as ef@uk.ac.nott.cs, so that looks like the right address.
  Perhaps he's on holiday  -- S. ]