[comp.music] Alesis 1622 Mixer.....

phuongn@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Phuong Ngoc Nguyen) (08/28/90)

Hello folks!

I plan to buy tha Alesis mixer ( 1622) and I need some
information about it.
 If anyone own one or read an article about it (good/bad)
please drop me a line.

Thanks a bunch !!

Phuongn

bierman@davidsys.com (09/08/90)

In article <8012@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, phuongn@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Phuong Ngoc Nguyen) writes:
> Hello folks!
>
> I plan to buy tha Alesis mixer ( 1622) and I need some
> information about it.
>  If anyone own one or read an article about it (good/bad)
> please drop me a line.
>
> Thanks a bunch !!
>
> Phuongn
I recently purchased a 1622 mixer, even though I've heard mixed reviews
about it. Electronic Musician did a full product review (June '90 ?)
and gave it very high marks, but I've heard of two cases where the
fader section (new technology introduced by Alesis) has failed.
I will summarize (in my opinion) the good and bad points:

Good:
  * over 90 dB S/N throughout
  * very flexible configurations possible (6 sends, 8 returns)
  * mute ,solo, and separate sub-master and master assigns for
    every channel
  * inserts for all 16 channels, the subs, and the masters
  * direct outs for inputs 1-8 (needed for multi-track recording)
Bad:
  * only one pair of meters (at least two pair are needed to do live sound
    correctly)
  * no 'clipping' indicator for each input
  * only 8 channels have balanced XLR inputs
  * solo section seems to have a bug--the levels shown on the meter
    when soloing an input are not the same as the levels shown in
    normal mode
  price class that can touch the 1622. But best of all, this board
  is QUIET. (It probably has better than 90 dB of noise floor.)

Hope this is helpful,

Andy Bierman
bierman@davidsys.com