[comp.music] Recommendations about digital keyboards

swami@moonwalker.tcs.com (Venkates Swaminathan) (09/13/90)

I have been learning how to play the piano for the last couple of years,
and am considering buying one. One of my options is buying a digital piano
so that I can hook it up to a computer and use both of them to compose
music.

I'd like recommendations from people on the net about

(1) How does the feel of an electronic keyboard compare to a real piano?
(2) How does the sound of an electronic piano compare to that of an
acoustic one?
(3) What are the advantages/disadvantages of both choices?

You can either e-mail responses or post them. I will post a summary if people
are interested.

Thanks a lot for your time in advance.

Swami

boris@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Boris Chen) (09/13/90)

In article <1014@tcs.tcs.com> swami@moonwalker.tcs.com (Venkates Swaminathan) writes:

>I have been learning how to play the piano for the last couple of years,
>and am considering buying one. One of my options is buying a digital piano
>so that I can hook it up to a computer and use both of them to compose
>music.
>
>I'd like recommendations from people on the net about
>
>(1) How does the feel of an electronic keyboard compare to a real piano?
>(2) How does the sound of an electronic piano compare to that of an
>acoustic one?
>(3) What are the advantages/disadvantages of both choices

I have played the piano for most of my life, and have always found it
difficult to really play a synth. The feel is totally different. On
a synth there is no feel. There is no action.

If you want a keyboard that is playable, I recommend the Yamaha Clavinova
or other similar keyboard. One with weighted keys that simulate piano
action.

If you are serious about playing the piano, IMHO, nothing replaces a
grand. Weak action destroys technique.

As far as sound goes, the Clavinova's sound is digitized off a grand,
but I have heard that other keyboards come closer to a real piano. But
nothing can replace a piano, since there are too many tones possible
to be digitized. Everything played on a electronic keyboard is too
uniform in tone, and often times far from realistic.

+==================================================================+
+ Boris Chen   ||   Berkeley, CA    ||      boris@ocf.berkeley.edu +
+ "And they will have to beat their swords into plowshares, and... +
+  neither will they learn war anymore." ---Micah 4:3          +
+==================================================================+

smithj@hpsad.HP.COM (Jim Smith) (09/14/90)

I like the Korg SG-1D.  Don't get one over two years old, though, as the
early ones' samples are very poor.
| Jim Smith                         | e-mail: smithj@hpsad.HP.COM             |
| R&D Firmware/Software QA          | Telnet: 794-4632                        |
| HP Signal Analysis Division       | AT&T: (707) 794-4632                    |
| 1212 Valley House Dr.             | HPDesk: Jim M Smith/HP5300/I0           |
| Rohnert Park, CA 94928-4999       | HP Mailstop: 2LR-D                      |
|      Everybody wants a rock to wind a piece of string around. - TMBG        |

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep13.065713.2261@agate.berkeley.edu>, boris@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Boris Chen) writes:
> >I have been learning how to play the piano for the last couple of years,
> >and am considering buying one. One of my options is buying a digital piano
> >so that I can hook it up to a computer and use both of them to compose
> >music.

(e-mail bounced)

I posted a similar question recently and got no responses. I'd be
interested in any responses you get. The digital pianos I'm familiar
with are Roland and Yamaha. They both have 80+ keys, touch sensitive,
and weighted keys. A cheapie is the Yamaha YPL20, touch sensitive,
but only 5 octaves and no weighted keys, but it costs $300-350,
as compared to $2000. Haven't heard the Yamaha though.
Please post a summary of any responses you get.
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

dgault@digi.lonestar.org (Douglas Gault) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep13.065713.2261@agate.berkeley.edu> boris@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Boris Chen) writes:
>In article <1014@tcs.tcs.com> swami@moonwalker.tcs.com (Venkates Swaminathan) writes:
>If you want a keyboard that is playable, I recommend the Yamaha Clavinova
>or other similar keyboard. One with weighted keys that simulate piano
>action.
>
>If you are serious about playing the piano, IMHO, nothing replaces a
>grand. Weak action destroys technique.
>
>As far as sound goes, the Clavinova's sound is digitized off a grand,
>but I have heard that other keyboards come closer to a real piano. But
>nothing can replace a piano, since there are too many tones possible
>to be digitized. Everything played on a electronic keyboard is too
>uniform in tone, and often times far from realistic.

Boris,

I really think that you need to go and play with some of the more advanced
digital pianos (not KEYBOARDS...YUCK!) that are on the market...

I have just purchased a Technics PX55 (along the lines of a Clavinova, but
better keyboard action and MUCH more advanced in sound sampling)

Technics has taken care of the problem you have described above (FLAT SOUND)
by using what they call "digital Harmonic sampling" Instead of sampling
JUST the note that is voiced when a key is struck, Technics has samples
all of the accompanying "voices" that sound (ie Octaves, 3rds, 5ths).. giving
each key a richer, fuller sound..

I honestly must say that when I am playing my digital piano set on Grand Piano
and set on Concert hall mode, I can not tell that I am not actually playing
a real Grand.. (as per touch and sound quality.. )

This is just my humble opinion, and I am no expert, but I urge you to
go out and look at some of these keyboards.. you might be surprised at how
far they have come..

+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Snail: Doug Gault              |     UUCP : uunet!digi!dgault        |
|        10845 N.C. EXPWY #3141  | Internet : dgault@digi.lonestar.org |
|        Dallas, Texas   75231   |    Phone : (214) 750-6863           |
| In the immortal words of Bill the Cat....       |  T   ________   P  |
|             " ACK!   PPPPPPTTHHHHHHPT!"         |  H   \      /   I  |
| My thoughts (on the infrequent occasions that I |  N     \  /     K  |
| do have them) are strictly my own...            |  K      \/      !  |