[comp.music] Hierarchical dynamic specification

maverick@fir.berkeley.edu (Vance Maverick) (09/19/90)

	Does anyone know of a computer-music system which supplies a
hierarchical dynamics tool?  In particular, I wonder whether anyone has
tried adapting the stress hierarchies proposed by linguists for speech
rhythm.  Any references and pointers will be welcome.  Thanks,

	Vance

mark@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark Jansen) (09/24/90)

	I for one would like to know more about how human speech is done as
	an art form.  More specifically what are the typical forms of
	human language stress and rhythm in theater poetry and stuff.

	Any good textbooks on this?

--
Mark Jansen, Department of Computer and Information Science
The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave., Columbus, OH USA 43210-1277

sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) (09/26/90)

In article <83930@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>,
mark@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark Jansen) writes:

> 	I for one would like to know more about how human speech is done as
> 	an art form.  More specifically what are the typical forms of
> 	human language stress and rhythm in theater poetry and stuff.
>
> 	Any good textbooks on this?
>
> --
> Mark Jansen, Department of Computer and Information Science
> The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave., Columbus, OH USA 43210-1277
> mark@cis.ohio-state.edu

I have done quite a bit of work on analysis of speech intonation.
In fact, I was thinking of posting a bibliography on the net
sometime soon (when will I find time?).  The best source that
I found which covered the subject from an interpretive point of
view was the following:

Bolinger, Dwight Le Merton, 1907-
  Intonation and its uses : melody in grammar and discourse / Dwight Bolinger.
-- Stanford, Calif. : Stanford University Press, 1989.
  xi, 470 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
  Includes bibliographical references (p. <421>-454).
  Includes indexes.
 SUBJECT HEADINGS (Library of Congress; use sl= ):
     Intonation (Phonetics)
     Grammar, Comparative and general.
     Language and languages--Variation.

My own work in intonation has focussed on getting a computer (a Mac) to
analyze intonation by using pitch- and envelope-detecting algorithms.
Surprisingly, a pitch trace (tracking the fundamental frequency of
the phonated portions of speech) is not the most informative way
of capturing `intonation' (a vague term to be sure).  A pitch trace
does not show the way certain words are stressed relative to others
very well, which is what most people want to see in an intonation
curve; an amplitude envelope trace captures this alot better.

* Greg Sandell (sandell@ils.nwu.edu)              Evanston, IL *
* Institute for the Learning Sciences, Northwestern University *