[comp.music] ICMC reaction

eiverson@nmsu.edu (Eric Iverson) (09/19/90)

Well I just got back from ICMC, and as a veteran of at least half a
dozen conferences, I can safely say I've never felt so ignored or
excluded in all my life.  Well, this isn't completely true.  I got on
fine with the other AI types, but I kept on getting the feeling that
they were being politely ignored by most others as well.  It seems
that if one was not a composer or a DSP engineer, then one did not
count for squat.

After having recently attended the Artificial Life convention in
February, I was inspired by the sight of people from disciplines as
diverse as genetics, artificial intelligence, and thermodynamics
actively trying to assimilate and understand the ideas of others.
This kind of cross-fertilization clearly did not occur at ICMC.
Borders were quite clearly drawn and very little effort was made to
cross them.  I found this to be quite depressing.

Perhaps the backgrounds of musicians and computer scientists are just
too different for there to be a common ground.  Perhaps the objectives
of the two groups may even be in direct contradiction.  However, even
if this were the case, it would not excuse the sterile tone of the
conference.  I began to wonder why some of the people were even
involved in the field, as I saw none of the passion and curiousity
that I have seen at other conferences.

This was further reflected in the music that was performed during the
conference; much of which did not even resemble music as I have come
to know it.  Apparantly such trivialities as rhythmic pulse, phrasing,
and tonality have become unfashionable, as they were not present in
the majority of the pieces presented.  It was if I had entered a
demonstration of gated noise generation machines and sound effects
systems, neither of which I consider to be musical in and of
themselves.  In fact I saw little difference in the pieces from that
which was done in the 60's, save for the level of sophistication of
the machines used.

And this then is the final irony:  even with all the advanced toys at
our disposal, it seems questionable whether we have developed a
similarly advanced system for using them.

I anxiously await a remedy to this situation.

Eric Iverson				Internet: eiverson@nmsu.edu
Computing Research Lab
Box 30001/3CRL				Life is something to do when
New Mexico State University		you can't get to sleep.
Las Cruces, NM 88003-0001			-Fran Lebowitz
(505) 646-5711

maverick@fir.berkeley.edu (Vance Maverick) (09/19/90)

> Apparantly such trivialities as rhythmic pulse, phrasing,
> and tonality have become unfashionable, as they were not present in
> the majority of the pieces presented.  It was if I had entered a
> demonstration of gated noise generation machines and sound effects
> systems, neither of which I consider to be musical in and of
> themselves.

Not that rhythmic pulse, phrasing, and tonality are musical in ("and
of") themselves either!  You touch on two classic music riddles:  (1)
Can there be music without phrasing?  [Perhaps a piece consisting of a
single event.]  (2) What's the difference between sound effects and
music?  [As far as I can see, only context a.k.a. use, not audible
properties.  /Music for String Instruments, Percussion and Celesta/
becomes sound effects in /The Shining/.]

Sounds like the incomprehension was mutual.  Not that I think you're
wrong in your general detection of clannish trendiness in the
computer-music community!  But why should anybody's music "resemble
music as [you have] come to know it"?

lwyse@retina.bu.edu (Wyse) (09/20/90)

If the computer-music aestetic has finally reached the music aesthetic
of the 60's, then I am very happy indeed. I have always been frustrated
that with the tools for manipulating a generic pallet of sounds, people
have continued to write music obsessed with NOTES!

						- lonce

   XXX     XXX         Lonce Wyse                                |
  X           X        Center for Adaptive Systems          \    |    /
  X           X        Boston University                     \       /
                       111 Cummington St.
                       Boston,MA 02215                   ----         ----
  X           X
  X           X        "The best things in life              /       \
   XXX     XXX         are emergent."                       /    |    \

eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) (09/20/90)

In article <27974@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> maverick@fir.berkeley.edu (Vance Maverick) writes:

;                         You touch on two classic music riddles:  (1)
;Can there be music without phrasing?  [Perhaps a piece consisting of a
;single event.]  (2) What's the difference between sound effects and
;music?

Who says that these are "classic music riddles"? These aren't even
questions, let alone "riddles," let alone "classic."

maverick@fir.berkeley.edu (Vance Maverick) (09/20/90)

In article <2614@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
(Eliot Handelman) writes:
> Who says that these are "classic music riddles"? These aren't even
> questions, let alone "riddles," let alone "classic."

Oh, come on, Eliot, show a sense of humor.  I hoped my use of the word
"riddle" would hint that I too was aware of the silliness of these (noun
of your choice)s.  The one about music vs. sound effects is certainly a
question in the sense that people disagree about the answer; the one
about phrasing is a transformation of the (equally pointless) conundrum
"Are the first two chords of the /Eroica/ the same?", asked in my
composition class by no less earnest a theoretician than David Lewin.

I must admit there's a certain satisfaction in setting off our group's
resident rhetorical loose cannon!  Too bad it was only my digression
that did it and not my point.

;
;Not that rhythmic pulse, phrasing, and tonality are musical in ("and
;of") themselves either!  You touch on two classic music riddles:  (1)
;Can there be music without phrasing?  [Perhaps a piece consisting of a
;single event.]  (2) What's the difference between sound effects and
;music?  [As far as I can see, only context a.k.a. use, not audible
;properties.  /Music for String Instruments, Percussion and Celesta/
;becomes sound effects in /The Shining/.]
;
;Sounds like the incomprehension was mutual.  Not that I think you're
;wrong in your general detection of clannish trendiness in the
;computer-music community!  But why should anybody's music "resemble
;music as [you have] come to know it"?

Eric Iverson didn't like the music. He doesn't consider noise generation
machines "musical." He suggests that r&b (rhythm and bonality), on the
other hand, are (and be) musical.

Vance Maverick suggests that r&b are not nearly so well defined,
since they are, in the end, properties of the listener.

Eliot Handelman didn't really want to get involved with that discussion,
so he changed the subject (suggested a new subject, really) by picking
a fight with Vance Maverick.

Vance Maverick replied:

;Oh, come on, Eliot, show a sense of humor.  I hoped my use of the word
;"riddle" would hint that I too was aware of the silliness of these (noun
;of your choice)s.

Eliot apologizes. I also read rec.music.classic, so missed out on
the implied silliness.

;The one about music vs. sound effects is certainly a
;question in the sense that people disagree about the answer;

It's more an answer in search of a question, that is, a piece of opinion
or an emotional response trying to discover in what way it might pass
itself off as a piece of authority.

;the one
;about phrasing is a transformation of the (equally pointless) conundrum
;"Are the first two chords of the /Eroica/ the same?", asked in my
;composition class by no less earnest a theoretician than David Lewin.

That's not exactly a "phrasing" issue so much as a Stanley Fish-like
"is there a text in this class" piece of rhetoric (the answer to both
questions must be "no," since to answer "yes" is to revert to a world
poorer in conundrums and self-doubt, where that question could not
have been posed, yet it was). The experience of the second chord is
flavored by the experience of the first. I forget if that's what Lewin
was aiming at. Terry Eagleton has an interesting dig at the buried
authoritarianism of reader-response analysis in his book "Literary
Theory." The reader (or listener) who can be transmuted by this
experience is by nature transmutable, therefore nothing of
consequence has been effected. Everything's back the way it was
in the first place. In short, are the two chords the same? Yes they
are, because only that listener experiences difference -- the sort of
difference worthy of this discussion, at any rate -- who experiences
difference in the first place, who comes prepared to experience that
difference, who therefore is not different from what he formerly was.

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (09/22/90)

In article <2645@idunno.Princeton.EDU> eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot
Handelman) writes:
>In article <27974@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> maverick@fir.berkeley.edu (Vance
>Maverick) writes:
>;  You touch on two classic music riddles:  (1)
>;Can there be music without phrasing?  [Perhaps a piece consisting of a
>;single event.]  (2) What's the difference between sound effects and
>;music?
>
>;the one
>;about phrasing is a transformation of the (equally pointless) conundrum
>;"Are the first two chords of the /Eroica/ the same?", asked in my
>;composition class by no less earnest a theoretician than David Lewin.
>
>That's not exactly a "phrasing" issue so much as a Stanley Fish-like
>"is there a text in this class" piece of rhetoric (the answer to both
>questions must be "no," since to answer "yes" is to revert to a world
>poorer in conundrums and self-doubt, where that question could not
>have been posed, yet it was). The experience of the second chord is
>flavored by the experience of the first. I forget if that's what Lewin
>was aiming at.

Score one for Eliot.  While I have never take a composition class with David
Lewin, I have read his key publication on this matter.  I think the issue can
be summed up in the following little scenario:

	Lewin says, "Can you identify the following?"  He then plays
	a tape recording of a single chord.

	You respond, "I'd know that sound anywhere!  That's the first
	chord of the EROICA!"

	Lewin then retorts, "Fooled you!  That's the SECOND chord of
	the EROICA!"

The point of this little exchange is not whether or not those two chords are
the same.  (They are not the same by the argument that you cannot put your foot
in the same river twice.)  It is not even meant to address the question of
whether or not some particular approach to phrasing would allow you to
distinguish the second chord from the first if you were obliged to hear
each in isolation.  The point is simply that you cannot talk about there
being a SECOND chord except in the context of it being the successor of
a FIRST chord.  Therefore, if you want to try to abstract the information
associated with a particular musical experience, then the experience of that
second chord MUST have, as part of that abstraction, some means of representing
the chord it has succeeded.

As I say, this really is not a question of phrasing;  but it brings us close to
one.  Let us now decide that we want to play Lewin's game of abstraction.
Being good computer programmers, we want to design data structures to capture
those units of information which he wishes to associate with musical
experiences.  We should then be able to represent an individual's behavior
in listening to some musical performance in terms of some collection of
instantiations of those data structures.

Those are the rules of the game.  Now where do we start?  What are going to be
the units which actually get coded in those data structures?  This is no simple
matter.  Among other things, Lewin has made a case that there is probably a
very rich collection of these units with considerable overlap.  Also, if you
are listening to orchestral music, you may wish to have a unit for a flute
solo and another unit for the accompanying bassoon.  You cannot simply equate
these units with slices of time . . . the way you might splice up a tape.

What, then, are the units in terms of which you can describe your listening
experience?  Albert Bregman calls the search for such units "auditory scene
analysis" and argues (not too well, for my money) that this process is just
like the sort of decomposition (read "segmentation" if you feel better about
that word) of visual data into objects.  Even if Bregman does not make his case
very well, there are some interesting consequences which may be relevant.

Visual scene analysis has been around in the computer world for some time.
However, as has been observed by Gerald Edelman, computers can only do scene
analysis if they have some A PRIORI description of the objects they are looking
for.  Humans, on the other hand, at least when they are children, do not have
such A PRIORI information.  (A little bit of calculating on the back on an
envelope should make a case that there are going to be more bits in trying
to code up descriptions for all our "familiar" objects than can be accommodated
by our genetic code.  In other words it is very unlikely that we are born with
the ability to recognize, say, cubes or bagels.)  Therefore, there are some
very serious problems which must be confronted in the matter of how we LEARN
how to take our field of view and begin to reason that there are OBJECTS in
it.

In this respect I think it is fair to say the same sort of thing about what we
hear.  There is nothing sacred about "notes" which endows them with the
property of being universal sound objects from which perceptual entities
are made.  Consequently, there is nothing sacred about phrasing, either.
We listen on the basis of how we have listened in the past.  What we choose
to call music is more a social question of what we are told music is than it
is a matter of any universal qualities of perception.  Most likely, those
universal qualities do not exist.  Also likely is that no two of us ever
have the same perceptual experience.  If we accept these conclusions as
ground rules, we can then get down to the business of talking about how
we communicate information about our musical experiences among each other;
and, in my opinion, that is what Lewin really wants to talk about.

USPS:	Stephen Smoliar
	USC Information Sciences Institute
	4676 Admiralty Way  Suite 1001
	Marina del Rey, California  90292-6695

Internet:  smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu

"It's only words . . . unless they're true."--David Mamet

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (09/22/90)

In article <EIVERSON.90Sep18203945@hades.nmsu.edu> eiverson@nmsu.edu (Eric Iverson) writes:

|Well I just got back from ICMC, and as a veteran of at least half a
|dozen conferences, I can safely say I've never felt so ignored or
|excluded in all my life.  Well, this isn't completely true.  I got on
|fine with the other AI types, but I kept on getting the feeling that
|they were being politely ignored by most others as well.  It seems
|that if one was not a composer or a DSP engineer, then one did not
|count for squat.
|
|After having recently attended the Artificial Life convention in
|February, I was inspired by the sight of people from disciplines as
|diverse as genetics, artificial intelligence, and thermodynamics
|actively trying to assimilate and understand the ideas of others.
|This kind of cross-fertilization clearly did not occur at ICMC.
|Borders were quite clearly drawn and very little effort was made to
|cross them.  I found this to be quite depressing.
|
|Perhaps the backgrounds of musicians and computer scientists are just
|too different for there to be a common ground.  Perhaps the objectives
|of the two groups may even be in direct contradiction.  However, even
|if this were the case, it would not excuse the sterile tone of the
|conference.  I began to wonder why some of the people were even
|involved in the field, as I saw none of the passion and curiousity
|that I have seen at other conferences.
|
|This was further reflected in the music that was performed during the
|conference; much of which did not even resemble music as I have come
|to know it.  Apparantly such trivialities as rhythmic pulse, phrasing,
|and tonality have become unfashionable, as they were not present in
|the majority of the pieces presented.  It was if I had entered a
|demonstration of gated noise generation machines and sound effects
|systems, neither of which I consider to be musical in and of
|themselves.  In fact I saw little difference in the pieces from that
|which was done in the 60's, save for the level of sophistication of
|the machines used.
|
|And this then is the final irony:  even with all the advanced toys at
|our disposal, it seems questionable whether we have developed a
|similarly advanced system for using them.
|
|I anxiously await a remedy to this situation.

	Uhhhh... Eric, I think the remedy might need to be
	applied to your attitude.

	It seems clear there is indeed a large gulf between
	your thinking and that of the musicians.

	Rather than criticize, you need to try to internalize
	their ideas so you will be able to communicate with
	them. I'm pretty certain that your ideas as to what
	music is came across in conversation, so that you
	were therefore left alone...

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

eiverson@nmsu.edu (Eric Iverson) (09/24/90)

In article <40170@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:

>	 Uhhhh... Eric, I think the remedy might need to be
>	 applied to your attitude.
>
>	 It seems clear there is indeed a large gulf between
>	 your thinking and that of the musicians.
>
>	 Rather than criticize, you need to try to internalize
>	 their ideas so you will be able to communicate with
>	 them. I'm pretty certain that your ideas as to what
>	 music is came across in conversation, so that you
>	 were therefore left alone...
>
> --
>   ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
> a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
  `\o\-e	 UUCP: ...!uunet!mnetor!becker!bdb
  _< /_	 "I still have my phil-os-o-phy" - Meredith Monk

If I had come across more than a few ideas, I wouldn't be so critical.
As it stood, I felt that this was one of the most idea poor
conferences I have ever attended.  Not to mention the emphasis on
expensive toys over how to use them in a composition.  I'm pretty
certain that "my ideas as to what music is" were shared by several
disgruntled participants, just not enough to make a difference.  In
fact, I have received several email messages that have more or less
supported my view of the conference.

Just to make you a little more "certain" of my ideas on music
(although you already seem to have your mind made up which
pigeon-hole to put me in) I might point out that I am not exactly
lacking in musical knowledge.  I played clarinet in concert bands
through college, have taken music theory classes, and have numerous
friends who are instrumentalists and/or composers.  I have been
involved in the cassette underground for the past 10 years and have
been exposed to a wide variety of traditional, experimental, and avant
garde pieces.

The fact is that I am *not* upset with all contemporary art music.  I
have listened to and enjoyed pieces by composers as diverse as George
Anthiel, Fred Frith, Eliot Sharp, John Zorn, Steve Reich, Ornette
Coleman, The Residents, Brian Eno, Holger Czukay, Luciano Berio, Igor
Stravinsky, David Van Tiegham, John Giorno, Skinny Puppy, Throbbing
Gristle, Test Department, Glenn Branca, Charles Dodge, Karlheinz
Stockhausen, Diamanda Galas, and Pauline Oliveros.  These pieces do
not use the "tonality, rhythm, etc of old" and yet still manage to be
quite interesting and compelling.

This is not something I can say for most of the ICMC pieces which I
found to be aimless, cluttered, and totally lacking a unifying
asthetic.  In short, I felt they didn't "say" anything to me
regardless of the language they were trying to use.  It is this usage
and expansion of musical language that I feel should be improved upon
if computer music is to have a viable future.

rowe@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Robert Rowe) (09/25/90)

eiverson@nmsu.edu (Eric Iverson) writes:

>If I had come across more than a few ideas, I wouldn't be so critical.
>As it stood, I felt that this was one of the most idea poor
>conferences I have ever attended.  Not to mention the emphasis on
>expensive toys over how to use them in a composition.  I'm pretty
>certain that "my ideas as to what music is" were shared by several
>disgruntled participants, just not enough to make a difference.  In
>fact, I have received several email messages that have more or less
>supported my view of the conference.

As someone who also attended the recent ICMC, I would first like to say
that I found it to be spectacularly well organized, engaging, informative,
and a pleasure to attend. The concerts were uneven, certainly, but I can't
agree with your characterization of the event as 'idea poor'. I can't agree
first of all because I don't know what you mean. There were five parallel
sessions every afternoon - all of those people certainly believed
themselves to be presenting ideas. We can go through the list: Roger
Dannenberg's beam search beat tracker, the IRCAM workstation, Steim time,
etc. etc. The people from the Composer's Desktop Project would not agree
that so many presentations were concerned only with expensive toys.
I would be interested to know why you find all this work so
dull and boring, and why previous conferences were more "idea rich" in
your estimation. Calling the conference "idea poor" seems to me, as a
critique, to be virtually "content free".

>It is this usage
>and expansion of musical language that I feel should be improved upon
>if computer music is to have a viable future.

I don't know what you mean by that either. Could you expand on the idea?

Robert Rowe
MIT Media Laboratory

eiverson@nmsu.edu (Eric Iverson) (09/25/90)

In article <3456@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> rowe@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Robert Rowe) writes:

> As someone who also attended the recent ICMC, I would first like to say
> that I found it to be spectacularly well organized, engaging, informative,
> and a pleasure to attend. The concerts were uneven, certainly, but I can't
> agree with your characterization of the event as 'idea poor'. I can't agree
> first of all because I don't know what you mean. There were five parallel
> sessions every afternoon - all of those people certainly believed
> themselves to be presenting ideas. We can go through the list: Roger
> Dannenberg's beam search beat tracker, the IRCAM workstation, Steim time,
> etc. etc. The people from the Composer's Desktop Project would not agree
> that so many presentations were concerned only with expensive toys.
> I would be interested to know why you find all this work so
> dull and boring, and why previous conferences were more "idea rich" in
> your estimation. Calling the conference "idea poor" seems to me, as a
> critique, to be virtually "content free".

I too found the conference to be very well organized and do not mean
to suggest that none of the participants knew what they were talking
about.  The organizers worked tireless to ensure a smoothly run
conference and should be commended.

However, by "idea poor" I mean to say that there was not a lot
presented at the conference that I felt I could actually use.  Sure,
there were plenty of presentations on new workstations and new
performance interfaces, but not much theoretical or algorithmic
material which could be used without having to shell out a lot of
money on hardware.  In fact, (if you want a definition of idea poor)
at some of the algorithmic composition talks I went to, it seemed as
if the speaker was reluctant to "give his secrets away" which I found
to be especially frustrating.  Now, while this may be necessary if the
speaker is developing a piece of software, it does not make for an
intellectually stimulating or "idea rich" environment.

I was further frustrated by the parallel (although I'm sure necessary)
nature of the conference.  By scheduling 2 or 3 algorithmic
composition papers simultaneously, the number of potential listeners
was split accordingly.  This served to reduce any possible interest
base while leaving many good papers unheard by a sizeable portion of
the participants.  Perhaps if all the algorithmic people were all in
the same room at the same time, we would have gotten a better idea who
each other were.  As it stood, I found it very difficult to put names
with faces and was forced to miss a few very promising talks.
(Thereby reducing the number of "ideas" I was exposed to even further)
It would have seemed better to run and algorithmic track in parallel
with a DSP track so as to minimize conflict amongst rooms.

Similarly, I found the paper tree to be rather sparse, which I did not
take as an indicator of a healthy conference.  It has been my
experience in the past that the paper tree is where some of the most
interesting and useful ideas can be found.

I did not say that previous ICMC conferences were more "idea rich."  I
have not been to previous ICMC conferences.  However, I have been to
AI, Computational Linguistics, and Artificial Life conferences in
which I left knowing a lot more than I did when I arrived, and had
accumulated several papers that I then incorporated into my own
research.  With limited exceptions, this did not happen at ICMC.

Perhaps ICMC conferences are organized differently than the types of
conferences listed above.  If so, ICMC suffers from the comparison.

rowe@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Robert Rowe) (09/26/90)

Eric Iverson Internet: eiverson@nmsu.edu writes:

>In fact, (if you want a definition of idea poor)
>at some of the algorithmic composition talks I went to, it seemed as
>if the speaker was reluctant to "give his secrets away" which I found
>to be especially frustrating.  Now, while this may be necessary if the
>speaker is developing a piece of software, it does not make for an
>intellectually stimulating or "idea rich" environment.
>I was further frustrated by the parallel (although I'm sure necessary)
>nature of the conference.  By scheduling 2 or 3 algorithmic
>composition papers simultaneously, the number of potential listeners
>was split accordingly.  This served to reduce any possible interest
>base while leaving many good papers unheard by a sizeable portion of
>the participants.

Oh. Yes, well, that I can buy. What I meant by good organization was
that, essentially, the trains ran on time. Equipment was where it was
supposed to be at the right time and functioned, etc. Such has not always
been the ICMC habit. I objected to the "idea poor" characterization
because I felt there was too much going on, not too little. As you point
out, the parallel sessions in particular didn't seem to pay much attention
to grouping papers by any area of interest. During my own demo, there
were four other papers I wanted to hear but, obviously, couldn't. I am
sure the ICMC could profit from looking at the way other conferences are
organized. But, still, I thought there were a lot of people there to
learn something from, and much interesting work presented. Warts and all,
I did come away from the conference with a better view of what's going on,
and some useful ideas.

Robert Rowe
MIT Media Laboratory

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (09/27/90)

In article <EIVERSON.90Sep25092137@thrinakia.nmsu.edu> eiverson@nmsu.edu (Eric
Iverson) writes:

>I did not say that previous ICMC conferences were more "idea rich."  I
>have not been to previous ICMC conferences.  However, I have been to
>AI, Computational Linguistics, and Artificial Life conferences in
>which I left knowing a lot more than I did when I arrived, and had
>accumulated several papers that I then incorporated into my own
>research.  With limited exceptions, this did not happen at ICMC.

I should probably begin with the disclaimer that I was not at the ICMC
conference.  On the other hand, like Eric, I have a fair amount of
conference-going experience.  In fact, I was at the Artificial Life
Conference which he has been extolling (with good reason, in my own
opinion).  One of the things I have observed lately is that there is
a depressing tendency among conferences which become "established" (such
as IJCAI and AAAI in artificial intelligence).  The problem is that these
conferences become the forum for those individuals who are obliged to present
there work due to their publish-or-perish circumstances.  WHAT they present is
irrelevant, as long as it manages to get approved by the program committee.
That committee, alas, is so overwhelmed by the volume of submitted material
that it is often very difficult to make terribly good
judgments . . . particularly when those judgments are
trying to anticipate what will appeal to the curiosity
of less conventional conferees.  The Artificial Life
Conference was a truly inspiring experience because
it did not have to bear this burden of establishment.
The people who were there were there because they WANTED
to be there.  Indeed, I came away with the impression that
practically everyone who was working on Artificial Life was
doing it as an auxiliary activity and therefore did not have
to worry about putting on a good show for any powers that be.

Having said all that, let me venture forth with some potentially dangerous
remarks about computer music.  While we would like to think of computer music
as a fresh discipline as exciting as Artificial Life, the true is that is has
become quite established.  The mere fact that there is this organization which
encourages membership in order to participate is a sign of such establishment.
I would even venture a guess that the discipline first began to become
established when a critical mass of practitioners started trying to take
the work which had come out of Bell Laboratories (primarily from Max Mathews)
and make a standard out of it.  Standards beget establishment, and
establishment saps excitement.

Of course, there will always be excitement out on the fringes.  Unfortunately,
such fringe work often tends to get rejected by established organizations.
When it DOES get accepted (and, having read Eric's paper, I would classify
him as someone who is out on an exciting fringe), it is still subjected to
isolation because it just does not conform to any of the approved themes of
the affair.

Next month I shall be delivering an artificial intelligence paper at a meeting
of the Society of Music Theory.  I shall be part of a session involving
cognition and music theory, but I already sense a sort of isolation between
my approach and that of the other papers in my session.  I do not know if I
shall come away from this conference with the same sort of frustration which
Eric reported.  However, by virtue of Eric having the courage to speak his mind
on these matters, I know I shall be thinking about them and will probably try
to report on them when I return from my own conference experience.

kkothman@weber.ucsd.edu (Keith Kothman) (09/28/90)

In article <15134@venera.isi.edu> smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) writes:
>[stuff deleted]
>Having said all that, let me venture forth with some potentially dangerous
>remarks about computer music.  While we would like to think of computer music
>as a fresh discipline as exciting as Artificial Life, the true is that is has
>become quite established.  The mere fact that there is this organization which
>encourages membership in order to participate is a sign of such establishment.
>I would even venture a guess that the discipline first began to become
>established when a critical mass of practitioners started trying to take
>the work which had come out of Bell Laboratories (primarily from Max Mathews)
>and make a standard out of it.  Standards beget establishment, and
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>establishment saps excitement.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>USPS:	Stephen Smoliar
>	USC Information Sciences Institute
>	4676 Admiralty Way  Suite 1001
>	Marina del Rey, California  90292-6695
>
>Internet:  smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu
>
>"It's only words . . . unless they're true."--David Mamet

Let me offer a different view of what standards beget.  Standards
beget freedom from those who control access.  In the beginning,
if you wanted to do computer music you had to be at Bell Labs.
Until very recently, you had to be at one of the handful of
institutions that had a workable computer music studio, mostly
academic, mostly controlled by a handful of people.  To work at
such a place you had to submit to being a student or guest
researcher, but you definitely had to SUBMIT.  Because of standards
and the establishment i can now go out and but a relatively low-cost
NeXT machine with DAC, download Csound and other popular software
synthesis packages via anonymous ftp, hook up whatever MIDI gear
that i might like to also use, and work independently from the
major institutions.

I've heard the argument before that using tools of the establishment
makes creates a dangerous relationship between artist and
establishment, but it's usually made by people who have access
to whatever they need or want--usually huge, proprietary
systems that, while maybe "exciting," are unavailable to over 90%
of the people actually working in the discipline.

Remember that tools are tools, whether created by the establishment
or the fringe.  If they are useful--fine.  But if they're unavailabe
to me, don't tell me i'm doing the wrong thing by turning to the
establishment to find something to use.

Keith Kothman
UCSD Dept. of Music
--the day job just pays the bills