[comp.music] Midi Sample Dump Standard format

peters@mips2.cr.bull.com (Dan Peters) (10/06/90)

    Can anybody either provide or point me to some information about the
MIDI Sample Dump Standard?  Does the Ensonic EPS sampler support the Midi
Sample Dump Standard?  If it does not how feasible is it to "massage" the
EPS sound files (with a computer) to make them comply?
     I like the Idea of creating my own samples on my sampler
and then being able to play them back on a sample playback keyboard that will
accept new samples via MIDI (like the Korg T series and the Peavey DPM).  I
believe that such samples must conform to the Midi Sample Dump Standard to
be transferrable.

    Thanks for the Help.

       Dan Peters
--

== Dan Peters		 	Bull HN Information Systems Inc.
== (508) 294-3325 (294-3020)	300 Concord Road 	MS 826a

smithj@hpsad.HP.COM (Jim Smith) (10/08/90)

I would Also like a copy of the Midi Sample Dump Standard format, if anyone
has it to email...
| Jim Smith                         | e-mail: smithj@hpsad.HP.COM             |
| R&D Firmware/Software QA          | Telnet: 794-4632                        |
| HP Signal Analysis Division       | AT&T: (707) 794-4632                    |
| 1212 Valley House Dr.             | HPDesk: Jim M Smith/HP5300/I0           |
| Rohnert Park, CA 94928-4999       | HP Mailstop: 2LR-D                      |
|      Everybody wants a rock to wind a piece of string around. - TMBG        |

alves@calvin.usc.edu (William Alves) (10/09/90)

Though I don't have a copy to email, I would recommend De Furia's and
Scacciaferro's _The_MIDI_Programmer's_Handbook_ (Redwood City CA: M&T
Books, 1990). It has all of the sample dump codes, handshaking info,
and so on, in addition to all of the other MIDI spec.

I don't believe the EPS supports MIDI sample dump, but it has its own
System Exclusive which is very similar. To get the spec for that, contact
Ensoniq. I have a Mirage, and Ensoniq publishes the SysEx info for that
in their Advanced Sampler Guide. DigiDesign's Sound Designer will send
and receive samples to and from most samplers with SysEx sample transmission,
as well as 12- and 16-bit MIDI standard dumps. You can also use it to
convert between the different standards.

Bill Alves

aieta@ils.nwu.edu (Michael Aieta) (10/10/90)

In article <27441@usc.edu>, alves@calvin.usc.edu (William Alves) writes:

> I don't believe the EPS supports MIDI sample dump, but it has its own
> System Exclusive which is very similar.
> Bill Alves

     Do you mean the EPS sysex format does not conform to the MIDI Sample Dump
Standard Format?  How or where exactly do the T3 and DPM store and play these
Sample Dumps?

     Are most synth manufacturers going to provide the ability to load samples
via the MIDI Sample Dump Standard Format into internal waveform storage
(such as the Kawai K4 series) and others that use samples for attack
portions of sounds, percussion, etc?

    I am not familiar with how the T series works, and I have
never even heard of the DPM, but if what I suggest above is true, than
it would seem that sample length and rate would be specific to each
Wave-playing
synth, unless these synths just play sample for sample
from some non-wavetable storage and they can't use the dumped samples as
parts of
more complex voices utilizing other waveforms and internal synthesis
components.

I know the EPS is capable of transferring samples via MIDI to the Mac using
SysEx with Alchemy.  But the EPS is 'just' a sampler.

BTW, the EPS w/SCSI is also one of very few samplers, along with the
EIII that lets you transfer files over SCSI to the Mac and when editing
on the Mac, it automatically sends the new sample back to the EPS so you
can play it out of the EPS instead of the Mac amp and speaker.

Disclaimer:  I am not sure if this discussion belongs in this group.
Maybe since it has the word Standard in the title.  Rec.music.synth?

Michael Aieta - aieta@numusic.nwu.edu            Northwestern Computer Music
Northwestern University 	                                Evanston, IL