[comp.music] Music Software and Hardware

uge@athena.mit.edu (Eugene A Beidl) (10/24/90)

I'm new to the computer music realm, and am desiring to purchase a computer
specifically for sequencing and other music capabilities (I will tie it into
a Roland A-80 or rather vice-versa).   So, first of all, what is the best
computer for the express purpose of music generation and printing (IBM, IBM
compatibles, Apple, Atari, Commodore, Amiga, etc.) and the accompanying software?
And, if you don't know, could you direct me to a source (other than saying in
Keyboard magazine within the last 5 years)?  All input is welcome.  Thanks!

--Eugene

6600bori@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Boris Burtin) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.021851.21656@athena.mit.edu> uge@athena.mit.edu (Eugene A Beidl) writes:

>So, first of all, what is the best
>computer for the express purpose of music generation and printing (IBM, IBM
>compatibles, Apple, Atari, Commodore, Amiga, etc.) and the accompanying software?

I personally use an IBM with a Music Quest MQX-16S MIDI card.  I know there is
quite a bit of software - sequencers, universal and specific librarians, etc.
available at reasonable prices.  There is also a reasonable amount of BBS/
public domain support.  But this is all because I already had the computer.
From what I heard, Macs are the easiest to figure out and use - and you can't
beat Adobe for music printing.

		- Boris Burtin

erkamp@arc.ab.ca (Bob Erkamp) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.021851.21656@athena.mit.edu> uge@athena.mit.edu (Eugene A Beidl) writes:

>I'm new to the computer music realm, and am desiring to purchase a computer
>specifically for sequencing and other music capabilities (I will tie it into
>a Roland A-80 or rather vice-versa).   So, first of all, what is the best
>computer for the express purpose of music generation and printing (IBM, IBM
>compatibles, Apple, Atari, Commodore, Amiga, etc.) and the accompanying software?

Well there is no 'best' computer. This is a decision that everyone want's
someone else to make. I would recommend seeing what you're friends/assiciates
are using so that you can share tips/files etc. Also look at some of the
software that is out there to find what will do what you want to do for the
price you want to spend. The range of software/hardware is quite extensive and
with out more information it is difficult to make any recommendation. Also
consider that you may not be using this machine strictly for music in which
case you may want to look at the availability of other software products
as well. A few things though...If you want a machine that is MIDI ready
right out of the box look at an Atari (preferrably the MEGA line as it is
expandable). If you are considering a Macintosh they are expected to be
releasing some low end/low cost machines in the very near future. Happy
Shopping.

Bob

jason%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Jason Thornbrugh) (10/26/90)

In <6761@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600bori@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Boris Burtin) writes:

>In article <1990Oct24.021851.21656@athena.mit.edu> uge@athena.mit.edu (Eugene A Beidl) writes:

>>So, first of all, what is the best
>>computer for the express purpose of music generation and printing (IBM, IBM
>>compatibles, Apple, Atari, Commodore, Amiga, etc.) and the accompanying software?

>I personally use an IBM with a Music Quest MQX-16S MIDI card.  I know there is
>quite a bit of software - sequencers, universal and specific librarians, etc.
>available at reasonable prices.  There is also a reasonable amount of BBS/
>public domain support.  But this is all because I already had the computer.
>From what I heard, Macs are the easiest to figure out and use - and you can't
>beat Adobe for music printing.

>		- Boris Burtin

I too have an IBM with a Music Quest MQX-16S MIDI card.  I need to
find a universal librarian for it.  Got some good names?

JASON