[comp.music] Music Printer Plus

ttl@aura.cs.wisc.edu (Tony Laundrie) (10/22/90)

I've got a chance to buy the latest version of Music Printer Plus from
Temporal Aquities(sp) for relatively cheap (a friend is selling out).
Any reviews?

isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) (10/23/90)

ttl@aura.cs.wisc.edu (Tony Laundrie) writes:

>I've got a chance to buy the latest version of Music Printer Plus from
>Temporal Aquities(sp) for relatively cheap (a friend is selling out).
>Any reviews?

OK.  Here's a real quickie.  MPP, like any software, has strengths and
weaknesses.  Among its strengths are a very simple and easy to learn
user interface.  Notation symbols are attached to keys on the keyboard
mnemonically.  E.g., pressing c cycles through all the clef options.
The real-time MIDI input is as good as in any other notation package
I've seen, and better than most.  Its palette of symbols is good for
standard western music and pop music (although I haven't used it for
this at all, so I could be mistaken).  Plus, it's got good on-line
help so you can virtually dispense with the manual.

The drawbacks include relative weakness for pre-standard notation
notation.  It's got some stuff, but not enough to satisfy an early
music person.  If you're trying to do music analysis examples, it
requires a good deal of fudge-work.  Perhaps it would be easier to say
that if you want to do serious music publishing or more esoteric sorts
of stuff, you want Score or Finale.  But for most purposes, it's a
very good package.

Version 4 is due out soon, I believe, and will include a number of
significant enhancements in terms of interaction with sequencer files,
improved printer control, more printer drivers, more text fonts (at
least a header font which is apparently missing in the current
version), and probably a number of other things.  We bought a number
of copies for the Indiana University School of Music precisely because
it is easy to learn, which is important when, for example, you want
students to be able to sit down and crank out their homework in a few
hours without having to spend three weeks teaching how to work the
program, and when faculty are reluctant to do the same themselves.
Yet it also satisfies the needs of all but probably the serious
composers and perhaps some theorists.

(I have no vested interest in seeing TAP succeed or fail--I'm just
reporting my person experiences with MPP.)

Eric J. Isaacson (the other)      Internet: isaacso@ucs.indiana.edu
School of Music--Indiana Univ.   NeXT Mail: isaacso@bartok.music.indiana.edu
Bloomington, IN  47405          -- I am NOT the author of A86 and other    --
(812) 855-7832(o)/333-1827(h)   -- outstanding software...I wish I were... --

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (10/23/90)

Discussion of Music Printer Plus has led me to the following question,
which has probably been asked a thousand times before on this newsgroup:

What are some good, inexpensive music-printing programs for the PC and Mac
(preferably the PC)?

MuTeX obviously won't do; it can't generate multiple staves.

I don't care how difficult the program is to learn or use; all I want is
good output.  I don't even care about sound.  I don't have any MIDI equipment,
either.

Yes, I'll summarise.

					--Scott

--
Scott Horne                               ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne
horne@cs.Yale.edu      SnailMail:  Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520

ttl@aura.cs.wisc.edu (Tony Laundrie) (10/25/90)

Thanks for the review.  I did buy the program.  My plans are to enter scores
for stage musicals, then use the playback feature in a community theater
rehearsal environment (and maybe for performances as well).  Beats hiring
a rehearsal pianist, and I think the playback interface will be easy
enough for computer novices to learn.

My major gripe is the copy protection.  What if TAP fails and so do
my limited (2?) copies of the program?  At least the playback program
(longplay) is not protected.

				ttl@cs.wisc.edu
~

ttl@aura.cs.wisc.edu (Tony Laundrie) (10/26/90)

Has anybody tried Laser Music Processor ($80 at Leigh's in NYC)?  The latest
version supports standard MIDI format.