[comp.music] Computer music studies in the UK?

ben@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (ben horowitz) (10/23/90)

Question:

Does anyone know of schools in the United Kingdom that offer research
opportunities in Computer Music?  I'm looking to do graduate studies at such a
place.  I'm sure that there probably is no degree scheme offered in pure
computer music, but any info about hot spots for interdisciplinary work would be
appreciated.

			Thanks,

Brian Smith

fuchsj@cernvax.UUCP (joachim fuchs) (10/25/90)

Brian Smith writes:
>Question:
>
>Does anyone know of schools in the United Kingdom that offer research
>opportunities in Computer Music?

Why only in the UK ?? I would be interested to have a reasonably
complete list of the places all over the world which are involved
in computer/music research. The best known (at least for me) are
the media-lab at MIT and the IRCAM in Paris (Centre Pompidou).

If you know more - please let me know!

     Thanks

	  Joachim Fuchs (fuchsj@cernvm.cern.ch)

kkothman@weber.ucsd.edu (Keith Kothman) (10/26/90)

In article <2930@cernvax.UUCP> fuchsj@cernvax.UUCP (joachim fuchs) writes:
>Brian Smith writes:
>>Question:
>>
>>Does anyone know of schools in the United Kingdom that offer research
>>opportunities in Computer Music?
>
>Why only in the UK ?? I would be interested to have a reasonably
>complete list of the places all over the world which are involved
>in computer/music research. The best known (at least for me) are
>the media-lab at MIT and the IRCAM in Paris (Centre Pompidou).

There are two programs that i know of.  One is at The University of
East Anglia (UK, but not exactly sure of the city).  Dennis Smalley
heads it.  The other is in France, at Lyon I think.  Unfortunately,
I can't remember the name of the place or the name of the director,
who often works at IRCAM.  Someone else might be able to help me out
here.  Both these programs are fairly new.  The East Anglia looks
superb from a musical instruction standpoint, although I'm not sure
what kind of facilities they have.  The French one had a good
composer heading it, and also had some very nice facilities
(workstations, MIDI, direct-to-disk recording, etc.).

These are the only degree-oriented programs that i know of.  There
are other studios that offer instruction, both private and group,
and the chance to work on your own (IRCAM actually falls in to this
category).  Besides IRCAM, there is The Institute for
Electro-acoustic Music in Sweden (Stockholm), The Royal Institute of
Sonology in the Netherlands (The Hague?), and others.

I forgot one educational one.  The Technical University in Berlin
has a computer music specific program.

Keith Kothman
Dept. of Music, UCSD

death@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Trevor Green) (10/28/90)

kkothman@weber.ucsd.edu (Keith Kothman) writes:
>fuchsj@cernvax.UUCP (joachim fuchs) writes:
>>
>>Why only in the UK ?? I would be interested to have a reasonably
>>complete list of the places all over the world which are involved
>>in computer/music research. The best known (at least for me) are
>>the media-lab at MIT and the IRCAM in Paris (Centre Pompidou).
>
>There are two programs that i know of.  One is at The University of
>East Anglia (UK, but not exactly sure of the city).

I am.  I was born in Norwich when my dad was teaching at UEA.  (My
parents are currently in Hereford, where my mother is teaching
at an A-level school for a year.)

Trevor Norwich Alexander Green