Date: Tue, 06 Nov 90 10:58:00 -0500
From: Frank Bounds <FLJ%EPAVAX.BITNET@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Acoustic theory for construction of Violin Family Instruments
To: Peter Marvit <marvit@hplpm.hpl.hp.com>

        I am interested in finding sources of information related to
        acoustic theory for the construction of stringed instruments.
        More specifically, information on the acoustic theory behind
        the construction of the violin family. I know that research
        has been conducted on the subject and that there are a variety
        of theories and myths. A friend mentioned that Scientific
        American published something several years ago but I have been
        unable to locate a copy of it. Please reply directly to me
        and if anyone else is interested I will be glad to summarize.

        If this is the wrong forum (i.e. List) then I apologize and would
        gracefully accept being pointed in the right direction.

        Frank Bounds            Bitnet:   FLJ@EPAVAX.BITNET
                                Internet: FLJ@EPAVAX.RTPNC.EPA.GOV

------------------------------

Date: 6 Nov 90 18:09:09 GMT
From: bbrewer@edu.colorado.boulder (Robert Brewer)
Subject: computers in music education
To: music-research@prg

In article <58767@microsoft.UUCP> camilleg@microsoft.UUCP (Camille GOUDESEUNE) writes:
>I'm looking for references to the use of computers in musical education,
>for a friend without net access.  All I can think of is back issues of CMJ.
>Anybody out in netland have any other ideas?  A couple of books or papers
>should get her going, if their bibliographies are anywhere decent :-)

  Hi Camille. Try contacting Dr. David Peters at the University of
  Illinois. I am not sure of his email address, but you can use the
  nameserver directory at the U of I from the Internet. Telnet to
  ux1.cso.uiuc.edu and enter phones for login. When you get the prompt,
  enter ph peters. His email address should pop up in one of the entries.

  Dr. Peters is one of the leading authorities on computer applications
  in music education and was in on the ground floor of networking the
  Plato system.

|-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|
| Bob Brewer, Instructor of Low Brass and Music Education                    |
| Director, Jazz Studies and the CSU Jazz Orchestra                          |
| Department of Music, Theatre and Dance                                     |
| Colorado State University at Fort Collins                                  |
| Office phone: 303-491-6957                                                 |
| Internet address: bbrewer@lamar.ColoState.EDU                              |
|=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|

------------------------------

Date: 7 Nov 90 00:35:50 GMT
From: bc%uxa.cso.uiuc.edu%ux1.cso.uiuc.edu%julius.cs.uiuc.edu%usc@edu.ucsd (Ben Cox)
To: music-research@prg

Dr. Peters has not added his email address to his nameserver entry.  Also,
"ph peters" results in too many entries to print.  Here is his snail-mail
address:

Dr. G. David Peters
3004 Music Building
1114 W. Nevada
Urbana, IL 61801
(217) 333-0675

Another person to contact would be:

Erik Lund
Computer-Assisted Music Instruction Lab (CAMIL)
5004 Music Building
1114 W. Nevada
Urbana, IL 61801
(217) 333-7061

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 1990 23:42:20 GMT
From: EthnoFORUM <SIGNELL@EARN.UMDD>
Subject: Ethnomusicology electronic communication proposal
To: Multiple recipients of <ETHMUS-L@EARN.UMDD>

[ I lifted this from the Ethomusicology Research Digest, because I thought
  it would interest Music-Research Digest readers. Perhaps we can get some
  ideas for other areas in music research.  - S ]

 **CALL FOR COMMENTS: Proposal for SEM Council

If you have any comments or suggestions regarding the proposal below,
please reply before Thursday, 8 November to SIGNELL@UMDD
KS

November 4, 1990

TO:              SEM Council, Oakland

FROM:            SEM members

RE:              SEM participation in electronic scholarly
                 communication

only and is restricted to scholars, researchers, and students
with a professional interest in ethnomusicology.  EthnoFORUM is
supported by the University of Maryland and is maintained by Karl
Signell with the advice of the EthnoFORUM Advisory Board.  It
began publication in December 1989.

*PROPOSAL

To facilitate timely and economical scholarly discussion and
exchange of information, we propose several suggestions for
SEM to take advantage of EthnoFORUM's resources.    None of
these proposals requires any cash outlay on the part of SEM,
and will probably result in some printing and postage costs.

The Council may wish to recommend some or all of the proposals,
on a timetable of its choice, with whatever conditions it deems
appropriate.

EthnoFORUM can easily set up an archive at UMDD computer;
distribution of SEM "proprietary" information would be strictly
limited to SEM members.  The attraction of these new membership
benefits should lead to more dues-paying members.

The Council may wish to consider a new category of membership,
"electronic"; eliminating printing and mailing costs, the Society
and the member could split the savings.

1. SEM Electronic communication committee.  To make further
recommendations to the Council, a standing body can be appointed.
Members of such a committee who are regular email users could
communicate most easily and might understand the issues.

2. SEM _Newsletter_.  Grant deadlines, job openings have often
expired by the time the newsletter is printed and sent bulk mail.
European colleagues are especially concerned about the time lag.
Electronic mail ("E-mail") would distribute the newsletter within
minutes.

3. SEM Membership List.  Unpublished since 1985, the list is
constantly changing as members move, add, drop.  An electronic
list would be continuously updated, facilitating communication
between members.

4. _Current_Bibliography_.  The printed CB is organized
arbitrarily by geographic region.  A member with the electronic
version may search the list in any fashion.  A cumulative list
can be easily compiled.

5. Ethnomusicology program survey and other occasional
publications can be easily updated and quickly published with
no printing and mailing costs.

6. Electronic journal.  Peer review electronic journals in
English, Psychology, Postmodern Culture, and other humanities
disciplines are now online.  Discussion sections encourage
dialogue in response to articles and reviews.

End of Music-Research Digest