[comp.music] midi sources

la-rt451@bgsu-stu.UUCP (Aaron M.) (11/09/90)

Hello.  I am an idiot.  I am attempting to write a
research paper that will forecast the success of MIDI.

I am generally going on the assumption that it will
permeate only universities and hobbyists, slowly reaching
a more accepted appeal to the average musician.

Though I am new to all this, my professor insists that
I can receive your help on finding either a source or
a qualified opinion.  I probably don't deserve help, but
it can't hurt to ask. Thank you.

Aaron Maruna
class code initials: la-rt451
Bowling Green OH

maverick@fir.Berkeley.EDU (Vance Maverick) (11/10/90)

Well, I don't know if I'd call you an idiot, but there's a lot more
going on in the MIDI world than you seem to think.  It has COMPLETELY
taken over pop music.  Check Keyboard, Electronic Musician, and (to a
smaller extent) Musician magazines to get an idea of its scope and popularity.

steve@Advansoft.COM (Steve Savitzky) (11/10/90)

In article <6529@bgsu-stu.UUCP> la-rt451@bgsu-stu.UUCP (Aaron M.) writes:

   Hello.  I am an idiot.  I am attempting to write a
   research paper that will forecast the success of MIDI.

   I am generally going on the assumption that it will
   permeate only universities and hobbyists, slowly reaching
   a more accepted appeal to the average musician.

I will resist the obvious retort and simply say that your assumption
is incorrect.  Pick up a copy of, for example, Keyboard Magazine or
Electronic Music Journal.  Many professional musicians are using MIDI.
I don't know to what extent MIDI has permeated jazz and rock, but it's
there.  You'll also find a lot of it behind the scenes, e.g. in movie
soundtracks and advertising jingles.  Many of the people who do this
kind of work do it alone: one person, several keyboards, and a
computer.
--
\ --Steve Savitzky--  \ ADVANsoft Research Corp \ REAL hackers use an AXE! \
 \ steve@advansoft.COM \ 4301 Great America Pkwy \ #include<disclaimer.h>   \

mcdonley@dinl.uucp (alan mcdonley) (11/10/90)

In article <6529@bgsu-stu.UUCP> la-rt451@bgsu-stu.UUCP (Aaron M.) writes:
>I am generally going on the assumption that it will
>permeate only universities and hobbyists, slowly reaching
>a more accepted appeal to the average musician.

Just stay up and watch Arsenio Hall tonight.  Catch the band playing and
read the top keyboard Star (the young lady) is playing.  (It will
probably say KORG M1.  Then notice the MIDI cable coming out of it.)

I too am new to the subject, but I think the average musician already
accepts MIDI from what I see.

Eight years ago I bought a big upright piano.  This year I hope to add a
MIDI synth and catch up to the average musician.

Alan McDonley,        Martin Marietta Information and Communication Systems
(303) 977-3347        mcdonley@inlatlas.den.mmc.com
P.O.Box 1260          ncar!dinl!mcdonley
Denver,CO 80201-1260  Opinions are my own, not my employer's.

bc@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Ben Cox) (11/11/90)

mcdonley@dinl.uucp (alan mcdonley) writes:

>Just stay up and watch Arsenio Hall tonight.  Catch the band playing and
>read the top keyboard Star (the young lady) is playing.  (It will
>probably say KORG M1.  Then notice the MIDI cable coming out of it.)

I did, last night.  It said "KORG T3".  Looks like she upgraded.

:-)  (Sorry, had to...)

-- Ben
--
-- Ben Cox