[comp.music] Music-Research Digest Vol. 5, #97

music-research@HPLPM.HPL.HP.COM (11/23/90)

Music-Research Digest       Thu, 22 Nov 90       Volume 5 : Issue  97

Today's Topics:
                           CMA Video Review
                   MusicTeX now available in the UK
            proposal for a mailing list about EARLY MUSIC
                  Reannouncement of NetJam, Berkeley
                      Science fair ideas needed

*** Send contributions to Music-Research@uk.ac.oxford.prg
*** Send administrative requests to Music-Research-Request

*** Overseas users should reverse UK addresses and give gateway if necessary
***     e.g.   Music-Research@prg.oxford.ac.uk
***     or     Music-Research%prg.oxford.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

*** Back issues, index, etc.: send "help" in a message to archive-server
***   @uk.ac.oxford.prg (in the UK) or @hplpm.hpl.hp.com (elsewhere)

Date: Wed, 21 Nov 90 15:17:49 -0500 (EST)
From: "Roger B. Dannenberg" <rbd+%edu.cmu.andrew@com.hp.hpl.hplb>
Subject: CMA Video Review
To: music-research <music-research%com.hp.hpl.hplpm@com.hp.hpl.hplb>,
Cc: computermusic@edu.cmu.cs.spice

The Computer Music Association is soliciting contributions to a
video review of computer music research.  The review will be
published in the fall of 1991 in VHS NTSC and PAL formats, so
this is an excellent opportunity to gain worldwide visibility of
your work.

Submissions are sought relating to the following topics:
	interfaces, performance systems, instruments,
	controllers, and music visualization
Excerpts from performances that have a unique visual component
or historical significance are also eligible.

Contributions should be in the range of 1 to 10 minutes, ideally
referencing ICMC proceedings or other publications for more detail.
Potential contributors should send a brief description of material
(text, not video) including:
	name, address, and affiliation
	videotape format (e.g. VHS, NTSC)
	brief description of the subject matter
	approximate length of the videotape
to Roger.Dannenberg@cs.cmu.edu or
	Roger B. Dannenberg
	School of Computer Science
	Carnegie Mellon University
	Pittsburgh, PA 15213
	USA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 90 20:24:26 GMT
From: Stephen.Page@prg
Subject: MusicTeX now available in the UK
To: music-research

We have received a copy of the MusicTeX software and put it in the UK
archive. Obtain an index for further information.
NOTE: This software is available from here to UK readers ONLY. US readers
should use the Internet FTP address given in a previous Digest.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 90 14:42:07 WUT
From: GONTER <(Gerhard Gonter) GONTER%AWIWUW11%edu.PRINCETON.pucc@com.hp.hpl.hplb>
To: reed-l@utoronto, allmusic@auvm, new-list@ndsuvm1,

I thereby announce a mailing list about early music,
which will be hosted *provisorially* at

     VW5EARN@AWIWUW11.BITNET,

until we find a better distribution facility.

Send your contributions and requests to this address.

Topics:
  Anything about EARLY MUSIC (medieval, renaissance etc.)
  including comments/questions about
  a) (new) records
  b) books
  c) performances
  d) song texts & translations
  e) encoding early music scores in electronic form
  etc...

I hope, that there will be more than 2 subscribers ... (hello GF :-)) )

Keep your messages coming

regards, Gerhard Gonter                        <GONTER@AWIWUW11.BITNET>
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
It's a sky-blue sky. Satellites are out tonight.     -- Laurie Anderson

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 90 11:54:30 -0800
From: latta@edu.Berkeley.scam
Subject: Reannouncement of NetJam, Berkeley
To: Music-Research@prg

Hi--

	NetJam provides a means for people to collaborate on musical
compositions, by sending Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI)
and other files to each other, mucking about with them, and resending them.
All those with MIDI-compatible (and other interesting) equipment, access
to emailing and compression facilities and to the Internet (send mail as below
for details), and who are interested in making music (who isn't?) are
encouraged to participate.

	All participant and composition information is documented, and the
most actions, such as subscription, submission, translation, and information
distribution, are automated.

	If there is interest, the NetJam group may branch out to the
support {soft/hard}ware other than sequencers. For example, there are a bunch
of interesting sound synthesis programs out there, like CSound for the NeXT.

	Submissions, participant info, and other stuff is archived on
scam.Berkeley.EDU (128.32.138.1), where it is available via anonymous ftp.
To receive the document from which this blurb is extracted (and which explains
NetJam at length) send mail to netjam-request@scam, with a subject line
containing "request for for info".

	Anyway, here it is. I look forward to hearing from you.

	Craig Latta
	musician and moderator

------------------------------

Date: 18 Nov 90 22:52:40 GMT
From: news%ariel.unm.edu%unmvax@edu.Berkeley.ucbvax (John Prentice)
Subject: Science fair ideas needed
To: music-research@prg

Our regional science fair is trying a program where they pair prospective
science fair students with professional scientists.  The scientists are
meant to provide direction and assistance in selecting projects and in
securing the means to perform the project.  To a limited extent, the
scientists can also help the student with the project, provided that
the student takes the initiative and performs the actual work.

I recently was paired with a student who is in the 10th grade.  She is
a 'cello player and would like to do a project associated with music and
the 'cello.  I have a few ideas, but I would be grateful for any
suggestions from the people in Netland about ideas for science fair projects
involving the 'cello.  Remember that a science fair project must address
a real research problem (within reach of a 10th grader) and not be just a
report on known phenomena.  Please e-mail me any ideas you have.

Many thanks!

John Prentice
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
University of New Mexico