[comp.music] Setting serial port's baud rate for midi on the Amiga

e85rw@efd.lth.se (Ricard Wolf) (12/04/90)

Does anybody out there know how to program the serial port from Amiga Basic
so it runs at the correct MIDI rate (31.25 Kbaud)? I friend of mine is
writing compositional programs from basic and has the required
hardware for RS-232 <-> midi conversion, but has found that he can only
set the serial port to the cannonical baud rates 1200,2400,4800, etc.

Hints, anyone?

Thankx.--
Ricard Wolf

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Ricard Wolf              | Lund Institute of Technology        |
| email: e85rw@efd.lth.se  | If you can't buy 'em - build 'em !! |
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------+

djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec4.074947.23509@lth.se> e85rw@efd.lth.se (Ricard Wolf) writes:
>Does anybody out there know how to program the serial port from Amiga Basic
>so it runs at the correct MIDI rate (31.25 Kbaud)? I friend of mine is
>writing compositional programs from basic and has the required
>hardware for RS-232 <-> midi conversion, but has found that he can only
>set the serial port to the cannonical baud rates 1200,2400,4800, etc.
>
>Hints, anyone?
>
>Thankx.--
>Ricard Wolf
>
>+--------------------------+-------------------------------------+
>| Ricard Wolf              | Lund Institute of Technology        |
>| email: e85rw@efd.lth.se  | If you can't buy 'em - build 'em !! |
>+--------------------------+-------------------------------------+

I did this a looong time ago (in ABasiC) by talking to the serial port
myself - read the Hardware Manual. Alternatively, you can set SER: to 31.2K
from Preferences, although performing I/O to SER: won't give you the
asynchronous performance you want.

Why, Why didn't you post this to an Amiga newsgroup??
| Dallas J. Hodgson               |     "This here's the wattle,             |
| Metaphor Computer Systems       |      It's the emblem of our land.        |
| Mountain View, Ca.              |      You can put it in a bottle,         |
| USENET : djh@metaphor.com       |      You can hold it in your hand."      |
+============================================================================+
| "The views I express are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer" |

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec4.074947.23509@lth.se> e85rw@efd.lth.se (Ricard Wolf) writes:
|Does anybody out there know how to program the serial port from Amiga Basic
|so it runs at the correct MIDI rate (31.25 Kbaud)? I friend of mine is
|writing compositional programs from basic and has the required
|hardware for RS-232 <-> midi conversion, but has found that he can only
|set the serial port to the cannonical baud rates 1200,2400,4800, etc.
|
|Hints, anyone?

	You can't do it from Basic, the performance
	requirements are way outside of what it
	can do. Also you need to set some serial
	device parameters of which only a small
	subset can be manipulated from Basic.

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

e85rw@efd.lth.se (Ricard Wolf) (12/07/90)

In article <58485@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:

>	You can't do it from Basic, the performance
>	requirements are way outside of what it
>	can do. Also you need to set some serial
>	device parameters of which only a small
>	subset can be manipulated from Basic.

Of course Basic would be too slow to read data, but what he wanted to do was
send data only.
--
Ricard Wolf

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------+

dgold@basso.actrix.gen.nz (Dale Gold) (12/08/90)

Quoted from - e85rw@efd.lth.se (Ricard Wolf):
> In article <58485@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:
> >	You can't do it from Basic, the performance
> >	requirements are way outside of what it
> >	can do. Also you need to set some serial
> >	device parameters of which only a small
> >	subset can be manipulated from Basic.
> >
> Of course Basic would be too slow to read data, but what he wanted to
> do was send data only.
> --
I'm not sure what the original poster was trying to do, but I'm pretty
sure that Bill Barton's midi.library comes with some examples of using
AmigaBasic & MIDI. It was on a Fish disk awhile back. I wonder if using
a Basic compiler would be able to make enough improvement in the speed
to to any good.
--
  |                              |  You gotta have smelled a lot of  |