[comp.music] Summary of responses

bennett@galois.esd.sgi.com (Jim Bennett) (12/14/90)

I basically got two different responses to my query.  In case you
have forgotten, this is what I posted:

   I am looking for a MIDI interface box that could be attached to an
   arbitrary computer, via an RS232 interface, for example.

   Does anyone out there know of such a device?

The two suggestions were:

> From weissman@pianoforte  Fri Nov 30 14:09:29 1990
>
> You will probably get lots of people telling you about the Hinton
> MIDIC.  This is a box made by Hinton Instruments, a very small company
> in England.  It does all sorts of good things.  It also costs a lot (~335 pounds).
>
> If you want more info on the MIDIC, let me know.  I used one a fair
> amount in a previous life.
>
> - Terry

and

> From lstead@iris.bellcore.com  Sat Dec  1 15:07:19 1990
>
> I'm so glad you asked!
>
> Key Electronics 800-533-midi makes a "midiator" which does the right
> thing, rs-232 to midi. I have one hooked up to my vgx 340. Costs about
> $200 bucks, and make sure you order the power supply.
>
> It has a very nice feature - using the modem control signals, you can
> switch your single rs-232 stream to FOUR different midi outputs, which is a
> major win if you have alot of stuff. Even more important, it
> implements a simple flow control protocol so you can run the serial
> line at 38kbaud without overflowing on output, again using a modem
> control signal.

Other people also suggested Key Electronics.

I also got this interesting response, that didn't really address the
question I was asking (or at least the question I meant to ask).  I
found it very informative, however, and decided to include it here for
the hardware hacks: