[comp.music] Music-Research Digest Vol. 5, #99

music-research@HPLPM.HPL.HP.COM (12/15/90)

Music-Research Digest       Fri, 14 Dec 90       Volume 5 : Issue  99

Today's Topics:
                            FINALE on NeXT
                           FINALE on NeXT?
                               fractals
                   Music Prose vs. Encore (2 msgs)
               US archive server now working (probably)
                    Want advice on music software

*** Send contributions to Music-Research@uk.ac.oxford.prg
*** Send administrative requests to Music-Research-Request

*** Overseas users should reverse UK addresses and give gateway if necessary
***     e.g.   Music-Research@prg.oxford.ac.uk
***     or     Music-Research%prg.oxford.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

*** Back issues, index, etc.: send "help" in a message to archive-server
***   @uk.ac.oxford.prg (in the UK) or @hplpm.hpl.hp.com (elsewhere)

Date: 3 Dec 90 08:11:47 GMT
From: telfeyan%aphid.engin.umich.edu%caen%zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu%pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu@edu.ohio-state.cis.tut (Roland Telfeyan)
Subject: FINALE on NeXT
To: music-research@prg

Actually, not Finale, but MusicProse is supposed to be available next
year for the NeXT.  It's listed in the Third-Party Catalog.  (MusicProse
is the scaled-down version of Finale.)

Roland

------------------------------

Date: 1 Dec 90 21:13:49 GMT
From: "usc!cs.utexas.edu!uwm.edu!ogicse!milton!ramsiri" <(Enartloc Nhoj) ramsiri%milton%ogicse%uwm.edu%cs.utexas.edu%usc%edu.washington.u.blake@edu.ucsd>
To: music-research@prg

Is it rumoured that FINALE is being ported to the NeXT?

Are there any powerful notation/sequencing packages
running on NeXT yet?

Something with the formatting capabilities of FINALE, the
sequencing power and user interface of NOTATOR, and an
abiblity to tie into digital to disk recording/editing would
be nice.  Seems like the NeXT is a good candidate for this.

Comments?

kevin

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Dec 90 21:13:50 GMT
From: Bernard Bel <BEL@EARN.FRMOP11>
Subject: fractals
To: music-research@prg

I am looking for bibliographical references of work on fractals and music
applications...

[ I think you will find there was a group of messages about a year or so ago
  in the Digest. Try the archive index.  - S ]

------------------------------

Date: 11 Dec 90 04:04:16 GMT
From: ramsiri%blake.u.washington.edu%milton%ogicse%mintaka@edu.mit.bloom-beacon (Enartloc Nhoj)
Subject: Music Prose vs. Encore
To: music-research@prg

In article <9471@ncar.ucar.edu> hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) writes:
>I would appreciate hearing about the relative merits of Music Prose vs.
>Encore, music notation programs for the Macintosh. It would be great if
>you could address:
>
>Thanks
>
>Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
>NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
>1850 Table Mesa Dr.
>Boulder, CO  80307-3000

If Encore on the Mac is anything like it is on the ST, I'd avoid
it like the plague... very poorly written.. and slow and ugly...

If Music Prose is not a too-much-watered-down version of FINALE..
then definetly go with MP.

FINALE and MUSIC PROSE use the same Kernel.. "Enigma"..
I know at least the output of FINALE is fantastic.  I assume
MP is as refined a program while not being quite as flexible or
robust.

-kevin

------------------------------

Date: 11 Dec 90 06:16:38 GMT
From: doug%unssun%tahoe@com.apple (Douglas Staton)
To: music-research@prg

In article <12753@milton.u.washington.edu> ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:
>If Music Prose is not a too-much-watered-down version of FINALE..
>then definetly go with MP.
>
>FINALE and MUSIC PROSE use the same Kernel.. "Enigma"..
>I know at least the output of FINALE is fantastic.  I assume
>MP is as refined a program while not being quite as flexible or
>robust.
>
>-kevin

We have a copy of FINALE here on campus, however I have found that
there is a really nasty bug in it that causes it to lock up the
entire machine right in the middle of a 8 page composition.

I really like what I already know about FINALE and I like the features
that it offers, however, with this bug in it I can't seem to get
anything accomplished.

Does anyone out there have an explanation for this?  If it is something
small, please e-mail it to me.  If it is something that the whole net will
find useful, then go ahead and post it.

thanks in advance  &-]  (a tuba player smiley...)

skip staton
tuba player
that just about says it all
doug@unssun.nevada.edu
skip staton                    *   "I tied her to a chair,
tuba player,                   *    and I shaved off all
that just about says it all    *    her hair, and I left

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Dec 90 22:20:33 GMT
From: Stephen.Page@prg
Subject: US archive server now working (probably)
To: music-research

The US archive server should now be working again. The address is
   archive-server@hplpm.hpl.hp.com
and enquiries about any problems should be sent to marvit@ the same site.
A reminder: the US server should be used for ALL requests from outside
the UK (bills for real money hit Oxford for incoming requests outside
the UK).

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 16:38:41 EST
From: David Lovell <dlovell@au.oz.uq.elec.s1>
Subject: Want advice on music software
To: Music-Research@prg

Dear readers,

I am looking for advice about music software before I spend vast quantities of
$$ on a nifty, but useless notation/sequencing package.
	The story so far is as follows: a friend of mine and I are writing a
musical and we figure that the only way to get the thing off the ground would
be to prepare demo tapes of our ideas which could then be presented to
prospective sponsors. We are both guitarists and neither of us is particularly
skilled in playing keyboards so, since the musical demands a wide variety of
instruments, a notation package in conjunction with a sequencing package for my
AT would be ideal.
	The advantages of a notation/sequencing package in one would include
interactive composition (eg. "Arrrgh that sounds awful! Delete/Copy it!"),
printing of parts (eg. "Here is the contrabassoon solo"), general credibility
("You want $10,000 of our money to do a harebrained musical on the basis of
these cheesy demo tapes alone? Don't call us...") and a few other things that I
can't think of right now.
	The chief disadvantage is money.

	The "hardware platform" (cute buzzword) for the software is an IBM AT
clone, 16MHz clock, 1Meg RAM, 40Meg Miniscribe hard disk, 5.25" 360kB and 5.25"
1.2Mb floppy drives, CGA monochrome monitor.
	The options available, here in Brisbane, state capital of Queensland,
Australia may seem limited to overseas readers but c'est la vie. Here is what I
have found (all prices in $Australian):

#1 THE MIDI INTERFACE. Folks round here recommend Roland's MPU IPCT ($300)
and its big brother/sister the LAPC ($895) which contains a built in MT32 Tone
Generator. I own a humble Korg DW6000 (not multi timbral) so the LAPC would
seem to be the go. I have heard of the MusiQuest (?) card but no retailers
mentioned it. Opinions on the subject are more than welcome.

#2 ENCORE. This (apparently) well known Mac Notation/Sequencing package now
runs on souped up IBMs. It looks good but...
I would need to upgrade to 2Mb of RAM ($300), get a VGA monitor ($800) and buy
the software ($800). Total cost $1900 (excluding MIDI interface). The retailers
reckon this package is the best thing since sliced bread but all this has to be
taken with a grain of salt (excuse the food references). Any PC users of Encore
out there with comments??

#3 DYNA DUET. This hideously titled Roland package was touted by the retailer
stocking it as "a great package, lets you do anything...", a retailer who did
not stock this item had less than complementary words to describe it. I don't
know, for $595 I would hate to purchase a lemon.

That's about it. Oh yes, one chap said that a complete music setup for the
Amiga would cost ~$2150 (Amiga $995, monitor $395, Notator $1095) so there is
always that option. If there is anyone out there with a comment on the
situation at hand, I would really appreciate your thoughts on the matter. If
there is sufficient response I will post a summary of replies and send good
vibes out to the net etc. etc.

I look forward to hearing from someone....anyone...

David Lovell (dlovell@s1.elec.uq.oz.au)
Department of Electrical Engineering
University of Queensland
AUSTRALIA 4072.

Tel: (07) 371 2762
Fax: (07) 371 7027

[ This only just scrapes in to the Digest content guidelines. I let it in
  because I come from Brisbane... Please send replies to the author directly
  and not to the Digest unless you have anything NEW to offer.  - S ]

End of Music-Research Digest