[comp.music] Looking for a music typesetting processor

duong@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (ROBOCOP) (12/12/90)

  HI...

  I am looking for a music typesetting program in Troff format, or LaTex or
TeX format...etc...which could print out the music scores..Does such
program exist..?? if yes, please show me where can I get one..
  Thanks in advance to whom who responses..
						duc

fingerhu@ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) (12/12/90)

Da capo:

1. "music: a troff preprocessor for printing music scores" --
   send email to ef@cs.nott.ac.uk.  That's the person who sends
   it.

2. "MusicTeX : Using TeX to write polyphonic or instrumental music"
   ftp from qed.rice.edu.

elkies@ramanujan.harvard.edu (Noam Elkies) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec12.141603.7773@ircam.fr> fingerhu@ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) writes:
>Da capo:
>
>1. "music: a troff preprocessor for printing music scores" --
>   send email to ef@cs.nott.ac.uk.  That's the person who sends it.

Has anybody done this successfully?  It looked interesting,
so I e-mailed to ef@cs.nott.ac.uk a few weeks ago, and
I have yet to get a reply.  This *could* indicate that
ef@cs.nott.ac.uk is swamped with such requests as a result
of the previous annoucement to comp.music, but in that case
there would usually be a "no more requests please, we're swamped"
message posted to this newsgroup...

>2. "MusicTeX : Using TeX to write polyphonic or instrumental music"
>   ftp from qed.rice.edu.

This I did manage to get, and set up with the help of the local gurus.
Unfortunately it only confirmed my guess that, while TeX is an excellent
paradigm for a music notator, you don't want to actually build your
notator on top of TeX as a set of macros.  (That is, for practical use
in printing music; for a master's thesis, which the original MuTeX was,
it's a fine CS project.)  Now if the visual quality of the output
had been as high as we're used to with TeX, I might not
mind having to learn how to translate a score into a convoluted
sequence of arcane MusicTeX macros.  But, after examining the
printouts from a few of the demos, I don't believe it's worth
the effort.  Not only is the spacing amateurish (and the bizarre
notion of shrinking the accidentals when the spacing gets too narrow
doesn't help either), but the fonts themselves seem half-baked.
While it's true that a convincing treble or C clef takes some
work to design, surely making a quarter-note centered on the correct
staff line or space, and with the stem tangent to the notehead,
is a trivial METAFONT exercise; yet neither the noteheads nor the
stems are properly aligned (all the noteheads are noticeably too high
on the staff, and all the stems cut through their noteheads).
I can only hope that the troff preprocessor does a significantly
better job...

--Noam D. Elkies (elkies@zariski.harvard.edu)
  Department of Mathematics, Harvard University

tgaucha@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Terry Gauchat) (12/16/90)

In article <34547@netnews.upenn.edu> duong@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (ROBOCOP) writes:
}  I am looking for a music typesetting program in Troff format, or LaTex or
}TeX format...etc...which could print out the music scores..Does such
}program exist..?? if yes, please show me where can I get one..

And I'd like one to run on IBM DOS.  With Postscipt or HP output?

mjs@hpfcso.HP.COM (Marc Sabatella) (12/18/90)

>>1. "music: a troff preprocessor for printing music scores" --
>>   send email to ef@cs.nott.ac.uk.  That's the person who sends it.
>
>Has anybody done this successfully?  It looked interesting,
>so I e-mailed to ef@cs.nott.ac.uk a few weeks ago, and
>I have yet to get a reply.

I eventually got a reply, and even sources.  There is the generic pic version
and a version that requires the Sonata font.  The former is what I wanted, but
I gave up on it after a week or two of hacking.  The output quality wasn't the
problem (although it is not nearly as nice as the Sonata output), at least not
after I hacked up the font descriptors to center the noteheads better, etc.  It
simply failed basic formatting tasks like lining up left hand and right hand
parts rhythmically.  I have hard copy of the "manual" from the Sonata version,
and it appears to line things up properly.

If you have Sonata, and can get hold of the sources from Eric (keep trying),
it is an excellent package.

>>2. "MusicTeX : Using TeX to write polyphonic or instrumental music"
>>   ftp from qed.rice.edu.
>
>This I did manage to get, and set up with the help of the local gurus.
>Unfortunately it only confirmed my guess that, while TeX is an excellent
>paradigm for a music notator, you don't want to actually build your
>notator on top of TeX as a set of macros.  (That is, for practical use
>in printing music; for a master's thesis, which the original MuTeX was,
>it's a fine CS project.)  Now if the visual quality of the output
>had been as high as we're used to with TeX, I might not
>mind having to learn how to translate a score into a convoluted
>sequence of arcane MusicTeX macros.  But, after examining the
>printouts from a few of the demos, I don't believe it's worth
>the effort.  Not only is the spacing amateurish (and the bizarre
>notion of shrinking the accidentals when the spacing gets too narrow
>doesn't help either), but the fonts themselves seem half-baked.

We have MuTeX running here and it doesn't suffer the font problems you mention.
I think our "local guru" here designed the fonts himself.  If you take the time
to do that, it should be acceptable.  I haven't seen enough output to know
anything about problems with spacing.  It didn't do multiple staves, so I gave
up on it.  I would look into MusicTex, but I've got Notator for the Atari ST
now, and I'm very happy with it.

For the person who asked about PC packages, there is Dr. T's Copyist,
Encore, Score, and a few I've seen advertised but know nothing about (Laser
Music Processor looks intersting - and relatively inexpensive).  There was a
comparative review in Keyboard magazine last summer (July?) - although it is
somewhat dated, it should serve to get you started.

Marc