[comp.music] Musical Frequencies

ccastdf@prism.gatech.EDU (Dave) (12/13/90)

I am posting this for a friend who doesn't have post access yet.  Please
reply to him.

 --------cut here-----
Will someone help me?  I've been looking for the frequencies for standard notes
for the purpose of programing sound.  I realize that it's probably in EVERY
reference manual that I own, but I'm not where I can get to my library.
I know it's a pain to type it, but I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

SarJe
gt4529b@prism.gatech.edu

jbovitz@ub.d.umn.edu (Jeffrey Bovitz) (12/13/90)

A bit ago, someone (from Georgia Tech) wanted a list of the frequencies
for musical notes.  My brother has a solution.   Chris...?

Thanx Jeff.  The formula is based upon a Middle "A" of 440 Hz.
The formula goes:

      440 * ((2)^(1/12)) ^ h

       (i.e.  440 Hz * (the twelfth root of 2) raised to the h power)
       where h is the number of half-steps above or below Middle A.

For example, Middle C is 8 half-steps below Middle A, so h=-8, and
the freq of Middle C is 261.6 Hz.  Remember that there are 12 half-
steps in an octave, and an octave is defined as doubling of the
frequency.  BTW, this formula works great on a spreasheet.

Hope this helps.

Chris Bovitz   moonunit@meteor.wisc.edu

tpermutt@eng.umd.edu (Thomas Permutt) (12/14/90)

In article <561@ub.d.umn.edu> jbovitz@ub.d.umn.edu (Jeffrey Bovitz) writes:
>A bit ago, someone (from Georgia Tech) wanted a list of the frequencies
>for musical notes.  My brother has a solution.   Chris...?
>
>Thanx Jeff.  The formula is based upon a Middle "A" of 440 Hz.
>The formula goes:
>

>      440 * ((2)^(1/12)) ^ h
>
>       (i.e.  440 Hz * (the twelfth root of 2) raised to the h power)
>       where h is the number of half-steps above or below Middle A.
>
>For example, Middle C is 8 half-steps below Middle A, so h=-8, and
>the freq of Middle C is 261.6 Hz.  Remember that there are 12 half-
>steps in an octave, and an octave is defined as doubling of the
>frequency.  BTW, this formula works great on a spreasheet.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Chris Bovitz   moonunit@meteor.wisc.edu

This is quite correct, for the "standard" equal-tempered scale.  But that
represents a compromise arising largely from the fact that pipe organs, for
example, take a long time to tune, and need to be played in lots of
different keys.  If you are going to play in, say, C major, why not
try
C = 261.6
G = C * 3/2
F = C * 4/3
E = C * 5/4
D = C * 9/8
B = G * 5/4
I think you will hear a much nicer sound.  And, since your question
suggests that the frequencies are under software control, you can always
reprogram for different keys.

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (12/20/90)

> mercuri@grad1.cis.upenn.edu writes:
>
> I'm sure that at least a half dozen people have informed you that although
> your formula is "correct", it will sound like hell. Most instruments are
> "stretch tuned" (higher in the high octaves, lower in the low octaves) to
> accommodate for the nonlinearity in the hearing process. String players do
> this "automatically" as they are playing.

Actually, from what I have heard this nonlinearity is not in the hearing
process but in the string instrument itself.  I've been told that as the string
gets shorter the harmonics get flatter, thus necessitating a "sharpening" of
the string so that it sounds in tune.  I've never heard this applied to
anything but piano, though it must apply to all other *string* instruments as
well.  I don't believe that it applies to non-string instruments, especially
synthesisers, which would always have their harmonics in tune with the
fundemental (assuming they are programmed that way).

cjs
--
Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!cynic!curt

mercuri@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Rebecca Mercuri) (12/21/90)

jbovitz ---

I'm sure that at least a half dozen people have informed you that although
your formula is "correct", it will sound like hell. Most instruments are
"stretch tuned" (higher in the high octaves, lower in the low octaves) to
accommodate for the nonlinearity in the hearing process. String players do
this "automatically" as they are playing. If you need more info (references
on this), get back to me.

R. Mercuri

sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) (12/22/90)

In article <35111@netnews.upenn.edu>, mercuri@grad1.cis.upenn.edu
(Rebecca Mercuri) writes:
> jbovitz ---
>
> I'm sure that at least a half dozen people have informed you that although
> your formula is "correct", it will sound like hell. Most instruments are
> "stretch tuned" (higher in the high octaves, lower in the low octaves) to
> accommodate for the nonlinearity in the hearing process. String players do
> this "automatically" as they are playing. If you need more info (references
> on this), get back to me.
>
> R. Mercuri

Rebecca, I think you are criticizing too quickly.  Whether the notes
will sound "like hell" or not depends on what timbre is used to
instantiate them.  If you did your best to create a piano-like timbre
while using this formula for your fundamental frequencies, yes, your
listeners will note the attempt at imitation of a piano sound but
find the pitches to sound flat in the high range...but mainly for
associational reasons (i.e. when you hear a piano timbre, expect it
to be accompanied by stretch tuning).  If the sounds involved were
merely sine tones, or an impoverished harmonic sound (like a square
wave), I would think that the formulaic tuning would sound appropriate.
Sound right to you?

- Greg
* Greg Sandell (sandell@ils.nwu.edu)          Evanston, IL USA *
* Institute for the Learning Sciences, Northwestern University *

In article <4193@mindlink.UUCP>, a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) writes:
> > mercuri@grad1.cis.upenn.edu writes:
> >
> > I'm sure that at least a half dozen people have informed you that although
> > your formula is "correct", it will sound like hell. Most instruments are
> > "stretch tuned" (higher in the high octaves, lower in the low octaves) to
> > accommodate for the nonlinearity in the hearing process. String players do
> > this "automatically" as they are playing.
>
> Actually, from what I have heard this nonlinearity is not in the hearing
> process but in the string instrument itself.  I've been told that as
the string
> gets shorter the harmonics get flatter, thus necessitating a "sharpening" of
> the string so that it sounds in tune.  I've never heard this applied to
> --
> Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP

Yes, the phenomenon of stretch-tuning is covered by Benade in his
HORNS, STRINGS & HARMONY quite nicely.  Here's what I remember:
not any old string stretched taught creates harmonic sounds (i.e.
harmonics having frequencies in integer ratios to one another);
the string has to have specific physical properties.  The most
important properties are thickness, evenness of thickness across
the length, and stiffness.  Piano strings have the problem of being
too stiff, and the result is flat harmonics in portions of the
spectrum which are important for determining the pitch of the tone
(according to Ritsma, the 3rd through fifth harmonics when the
fundamental is between 100-400Hz; yes Virginia, pitch perception is
not just a matter of the frequency of the fundamental).  As Curt says,
those flat harmonics make the pitch sound flat, so piano tuners
adjust the tuning to make those strings sharper.  They are sharp
in fundamental frequency (which is an objective phenomenon) but *not*
in pitch, which is a psychoacoustic phenomenon.

A related matter:  guitars with old, worn-out strings sound perpetually
out of tune, no matter how hard you try tuning them.  Reason:  the
thickness of the string is not even across its length anymore, so
the harmonics have gone sour.

maverick@fir.Berkeley.EDU (Vance Maverick) (12/22/90)

In article <505@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu>, sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg
Sandell) writes:
> If the sounds involved were
> merely sine tones, or an impoverished harmonic sound (like a square
> wave), I would think that the formulaic tuning would sound appropriate.

My experience with purely harmonic sounds (say a wavetable instrument in
the NeXT MusicKit) suggests that those are the signals for which we are
most sensitive to "just" intonation.  That is, equal temperament sounds
roughest when the harmonics in single tones are clean enough that the
proverbial beating between them is obtrusive; for me, then, harmonic
sounds lead away from a fixed tuning altogether.

mpogue@vis01.dg.com (Mike Pogue) (12/22/90)

	Could you say a few more words about "stretch tuning", and why it
sounds better than exact tuning?

	Do most synthesizers take this tuning into account?

--
Mike Pogue
Data General Corp.		Speaking for myself, not my company....

nsv+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ned S. VanderVen) (12/22/90)

As several recent posts have noted, the stiffness of real strings results
in inharmonicity of the series of normal mode frequencies (characteristic
frequencies of vibration), and to compensate for this the octaves must be
"stretched." But all the explanations posted so far have described the
phenomenon incorrectly.

First of all, the stiffness results in a series of normal mode frequencies
that are sharp, not flat, compared with the harmonic series, and these
departures from the harmonic series become progressively sharper for the
higher modes of the string.

Secondly, a note is not "stretched" in order that its perceived pitch
sound "correct" when played alone.  Octaves are stretch-tuned in order
that the two notes will be relatively free of beats when sounded together.

To illustrate how this works, suppose that because of inharmonicity a
string of fundamental frequency f has a second-mode frequency of 2.02 f
rather than
the harmonic value of exactly 2 f.  The string sounding an octave higher
should be tuned so that its fundamental is equal to the second mode frequency
of the lower note in order that no beats be heard when the notes are
sounded together.  In this example the octave would have to be tuned to a
fundamental frequency of 2.02 f to reduce the beat frequency to zero.
This sharpening of the octave is the phenomenon of "stretching." The
situation is actually more complicated than this because the fourth mode
of the lower string will beat with the second mode of the upper string, and
no tuning will eliminate all the beats. In practice the tuner will adjust
for the most consonant interval, and stretching inevitably results.

The inharmonicity depends on several factors: the diameter, length, tension,
and elastic modulus of the string.  It increases with increasing diameter and
elastic modulus, but decreases with increasing length and tension. In pianos
the inharmonicity is least in the middle of the keyboard, and that is
where the octaves are stretched least. On concert grands the bass strings
are long enough that the inharmonicity is not much greater than in
the middle of the keyboard, but on a small upright, whose bass strings are
too short, the inharmonicity can be severe, and the lower octaves are
widely stretched.

This, incidentally, provides a test of whether the stretching is due to
inharmonicities in the strings or to non-linearities in the hearing
mechanism.  If it were due primarily to the hearing mechanism we would
expect the stretching on all pianos to be about the same. In practice
the stretching varies with the instrument, and experiments by Backus have
shown that string inharmonicity accounts for nearly all of it.