[net.micro] Mac Review

KEN%jpl-vax@sri-unix.UUCP (01/26/84)

From:  Ken Adelman <KEN@jpl-vax>

	Can I get MacSyma?

						-Kenneth Adelman
						 California Institute for
						 Technologists
------

edhall%rand-unix@sri-unix.UUCP (01/26/84)

MacSyma?  That would require a Big Mac...

		-Ed Hall
		Rand Corporation, Santa Monica, CA
		edhall@rand-unix

A2DEH%mit-ml@sri-unix.UUCP (01/27/84)

From:  Donald E. Hopkins <A2DEH@mit-ml>

    Date: Thursday, 26 Jan 1984 01:23-PST
    From: edhall at rand-unix
    To:   KEN at jpl-vax
    cc:   info-micro at brl-vgr, info-apple at brl-vgr
    Re:   Mac Review

    MacSyma?  That would require a Big Mac...

    		-Ed Hall
    		Rand Corporation, Santa Monica, CA
    		edhall@rand-unix

I hear the DoD's got that for their WOPR computer... (remember, the one that
sounds like it's got a diesel engine?)
	-Don

brucec@orca.UUCP (Bruce Cohen) (01/30/84)

In regard to the Macintosh specs sent out by David.Anderson@CMU: one minor
quibble.  The mouse is mechanical, not optical.  I played with a Macintosh
for half an hour or so, and was curious about the mouse.  It uses a plastic
ball just like the Lisa mouse.  In fact, it looks and feels like the Lisa
mouse with a new housing, even to the occasional slippage.

Mac is indeed faster than Lisa, and Apple seems to have learned from some of
the mistakes they made in the Lisa operator interface.  I did succeed in
crashing the machine, by sticking it in a loop where it kept asking for a
diskette I didn't have, and wouldn't allow me to abort the operation.  The
salesperson had to power the machine down and reboot.  On the other hand, my
six-year-old couldn't kill Macpaint, though he tried.

I asked about Lisa II, and was told that the store would get some in about a
month.  Still no definite pricing, but the rumor is that a minimum system,
without a hard disk, will cost ~$3500, and a real system with a 10 meg hard
disk will cost ~$6000 with the minimal software.

				Bruce Cohen
				UUCP:	...!teklabs!tekecs!brucec
				CSNET:	tekecs!brucec@tektronix
				ARPA:	tekecs!brucec.tektronix@rand-relay

David.Anderson@CMU-CS-G.ARPA (01/31/84)

CMU announced today a super price for the MacIntosh:  $1050 for students
and employees.  I went to a dealer to check it out, and here are some
facts and some observations.

FACTS

The basic Mac has these features and sells for $2495 retail:

	o 68000 at just under 8 MHz
	o 128K ram, 64K rom
	o 9 inch 512 x 342 b/w screen
	o built-in 400K 3.5 inch floppy + port for an external drive
	o rs232 port (both serial ports have 9-pin connectors)
	o rs422 port (up to nearly 1M bps)
	o 4 voice audio, sampled at 22 kHz
	o built-in speaker + audio port in back
	o clock/calendar with battery backup
	o detached keyboard
	o optical one-button mouse
	o MacWrite and MacPaint software
	o 9.7 x 10.9 x 13.5 inches, about 18 pounds (w/ recessed handle)
	o no fan or expansion slots

The ROM has some nice features, such as a built-in alarm clock,
calculator, and other system utilities.

These options will be available in the near future (perhaps some are
available now):

	o a cute padded carrying case
	o Imagewriter Printer (uses the rs232 port)
	o 300 baud or 300/1200 baud smart modems (use the rs422 port)
	o external disk drive
	o numeric keypad
	o security kit (for locking your Mac to your desk)

OBSERVATIONS (mixed with facts)

At the discounted price, this is a fantastic machine.  I was able to
sit and play with one for about an hour and a half (amazingly enough,
there were very people there to check it out).  I was particularly
impressed by the speed -- the MacIntosh is a good bit faster than the
Lisa, and it definitely shows in some of the graphics.  The software
available seems to be very well thought out and easy to learn and to
use.  My major complaint about the hardware is that the screen is kind
of small (9 inch) and the resolution only just adequate for these
applications.  The keyboard felt nice, but seemed perhaps just a wee
bit cramped -- AND THERE IS NO CONTROL KEY.  There are 3 keys that the
hardware can use as "shift" keys, but none of them is in the right
place for a control key (they put the CAPS LOCK key there).

Another serious problem is the lack of software.  About 100 companies
have had Macs to use for some time now, and their software should be
out very soon.  At least it had better be.  The brochure acts as though
some of the following programs are already available(*), while the
others are currently being developed:

	from Apple:

		MacWrite (*)
		MacPaint (*) (these are standard)
		a font editor (*) (my dealer had this, it may be standard)
		MacDraw
		MacProject (*)
		MacTerminal (*)
		Classcal programming development system (shown in brochure)

	from MicroSoft:

		Multiplan (shown in brochure)
		Chart (shown in brochure)
		File
		Word

	others:
		Lotus 1-2-3
		PFS: filer

MacWrite is very nice, but can only be used to create documents up to
about 6 pages in length.  Serious work will demand something better.
It is easy to clip figures from MacPaint and put them into documents,
and a wide variety of fonts (about 10), sizes (9 to 72 points) and
styles (italic, bold, underline, outline, shadow) can be used.  They
are shown properly on the screen (although switching fonts incurs a
noticeable disk access), and anything you can create can be printed on
the new Imagewriter printer.  The sample printout I saw looked very
nice.  The screen can handle about 24x80 with the smallest fonts, but
when I played with some of the larger sizes I felt like I wasn't seeing
too much on the screen (perhaps 8-10 lines).

There are many other impressive features, but I'll leave it here.  This
is much more computer than the Apple ][ or the PCjr, but I am
uncomfortable comparing it to the IBM-PC and other "serious"?
micro-computers (the impossibility of adding a hard disk would seem to
eliminate a Unix clone, for instance).  Expandability to 512K with 256K
chips is apparently a possibility, but I've heard no details.  The
MacIntosh may revolutionize the industry, but at $2495 with little
software we're left waiting for more.

--david

bjroehl@wateng.UUCP (Bernie Roehl) (02/11/84)

Hmm.  Well, the Mac seems like a reasonable enough machine, except
for the following problems (some minor, some major):
	128K total ram memory.  Yes, I've heard the rumors about plugging
		in 256K chips to get 512K, but if you'll check out the
		motherboard you'll find the ram is soldered in.  Unless
		you want to take to your brand-new Mac with a soldering
		iron, you'll have to get a motherboard swap from Apple
		(which may be expensive since it involves paying a tech
		to do the work; parts+labor = $$$$)
	monochrome display.  A lot of people feel that color is not only
		useful, but necessary.  Time will tell, but it's another
		aspect of the Mac hardware that's carved in stone (there's
		no provision for another display)
	68000 processor.  It's unquestionably superior to the 8088, but
		so far there's a dearth of software for it.  If you run
		Unix and program in C, the underlying processor is almost
		unnoticeable in 80-90% of the applications; thus the
		advantages of the 68K vanish like the proverbial snows in
		summer.
	no bus.  Hence, no third-party peripherals, except for the "serial
		bus" all the literature mentions.  A serial bus cannot
		provide you with memory expansion or an alternate processor
		(i.e. put a 16032 in and use the 68K as an i/o handler).
The bottom line is that it's nice, but probably too little to late.  The
IBM PC, for better or worse, will maintain its hold on the market for a while
yet, and certainly won't be knocked out by the Mac.  What you will see is a
board that plugs into the PC and gives you a 68K, some RAM, and the ability
to run Mac software; it's easy to build one, and the demand will be there.
	Comments on the above are welcome; flames to /dev/null, please.
				--Bernie Roehl
				(bjroehl@wateng)

--
        -Bernie Roehl    (University of Waterloo)