[comp.music] FINALE_INFO?

cosc12tf@jetson.uh.edu (01/31/91)

I heard that Finale is very good musical software for both professional
and non-profesional musician.  Can someone send a me a description of
Finale along with the price and hardware/software requirements.  I'll VERY
VERY appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Scorpio

drdave@buhub.bradley.edu (David L. Vessell) (02/01/91)

In <8384.27a6d8ec@jetson.uh.edu> cosc12tf@jetson.uh.edu writes:

>I heard that Finale is very good musical software for both professional
>and non-profesional musician.  Can someone send a me a description of
>Finale along with the price and hardware/software requirements.  I'll VERY
>VERY appreciated.
>Thanks in advance.

>Scorpio

From the February '91 issue of Keyboard:

Coda Finale 2.5

Requirements: Macintosh Plus or better, 2 Mb RAM, hard disk  OR
	      IBM AT or compatible (286 processor or better) or
	      Yamaha C1, Windows 3.0, Windows-compatible mouse, hard
	      disk.  2 Mb of RAM recommended.
Features: Many input modes including MIDI transcription.  Supports
	      non-standard time and key signatures, multiple meters and
	      clefs, nested tuplets, unusual stemming, beaming, and
	      noteheads, "intelligent" chord symbols, user-created
	      symbols, much more.
Printing: PostScript output with Finale's Petrucci font or Adobe's Sonata
	      font.  Includes Seville font for guitar fingerboards.
	      Additional PostScript fonts available for jazz symbols,
	      figured bass, MIDI expressions.  PC version supports
	      PostScript printers, HP Laserjet II & compatibles,
	      Epson-compatible dot-matrix.
Playback: Multi-channel.  Most symbols can be made to play back, including
	      tempi, repeats, staccatos, dynamics, etc.  Users can create
	      their own symbols and executable shapes.  MIDI program
	      changes, controllers, pitch-bend supported.
List price: $749.
Contact: Coda Music Software, 1401 E. 79th St., Minneapolis, MN 55425 -1126
	      (800) 843-2066, (612) 854-1288

Pros: Full set of notational tools.  Excellent live transcription
capabilities.  Excellent printed output.  Improved documentation.  New MIDI
tools.

Cons: Inconsistent, complex interface.  Makes many rigid assumptions about
music.  Hard to learn.

---------------------------------

The preceding was the review synopsis for Finale from the February issue,
the one with Ray Manzarek on the cover.  The review itself is seven or
eight pages.

**dR.Dave**            ....making the world safe for intelligent dance music.
  David L. Vessell   Bradley Univ.  Peoria, IL   drdave@buhub.bradley.edu
"I'm not a theatre major.  I'm not even a theatre minor.  I just have this
 obsession with power tools...."  --Kory Komala

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (02/02/91)

In article <8384.27a6d8ec@jetson.uh.edu>, cosc12tf@jetson.uh.edu writes:
%% I heard that Finale is very good musical software for both professional
%% and non-profesional musician.  Can someone send a me a description of
%% Finale along with the price and hardware/software requirements.  I'll VERY
%% VERY appreciated.

Finale 1.1.1  demo can be ftp-ed from ucsd.edu. It is about 950Kb.
--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX

kkothman@weber.ucsd.edu (Keith Kothman) (02/05/91)

In article <7717@chorus.fr> mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) writes:
>In article <8384.27a6d8ec@jetson.uh.edu>, cosc12tf@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>%% I heard that Finale is very good musical software for both professional
>%% and non-profesional musician.  Can someone send a me a description of
>%% Finale along with the price and hardware/software requirements.  I'll VERY
>%% VERY appreciated.
>
>Finale 1.1.1  demo can be ftp-ed from ucsd.edu. It is about 950Kb.
>--

The current version of Finale is 2.5, which offers significant
improvements over 1.x.  Find a music store that sells MIDI gear and
take a test drive on the current model.

Keith Kothman

_____________________

mir@chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (02/05/91)

In article <4576@network.ucsd.edu>, kkothman@weber.ucsd.edu (Keith Kothman) writes:
%% In article <7717@chorus.fr> mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) writes:
%% >Finale 1.1.1  demo can be ftp-ed from ucsd.edu. It is about 950Kb.
%%
%% The current version of Finale is 2.5, which offers significant
%% improvements over 1.x.  Find a music store that sells MIDI gear and
%% take a test drive on the current model.

2.5 for Mac, but 1.1 for IBM PC, according to Jan 91 Keyboard add.
--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX

asaxon@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Allan Saxon) (02/06/91)

The curent ver. for FINALE for the ibm is 2.0 new release. I don't know yet
what the changes are, but I was told it's at least at the level of the
current Mac ver.
	Allan

| Allan Saxon           |  asaxon@jarthur.claremont.edu  |  (714) 625-1948  |
| Harvey Mudd College   |  asaxon@hmcvax.claremont.edu   |                  |