[comp.music] A question about 'Keynote' - Please read

melis@.cs.utwente.nl (Angelo Melis) (03/04/91)

I read an article in the november '90 issue of the paper 'keyboard'.
The article was about a program 'Keynote'. It was written by someone at
AT&T and the sources where avialable. The sources are put an the BBS of AT&T
called 'ToolChest'. Because I am very interested in music & computers, I want
to know if the BBS is accesseble by ftp, or that the sources are avialable by
ftp. If not, is there an other way to get the sources.

I hope someone can help me. ( Maybe the author is reading this and is willing
to replay ).

Thanks,
Angelo.
email : melis@cs.utwente.nl

tjt@cbnewsh.att.com (timothy.j.thompson) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar4.112229.962@cs.utwente.nl>, melis@.cs.utwente.nl (Angelo Melis) writes:
> I read an article in the november '90 issue of the paper 'keyboard'.
> The article was about a program 'Keynote'. It was written by someone at
> AT&T and the sources where avialable. The sources are put an the BBS of AT&T
> called 'ToolChest'.

For those who don't know what Keynote is, it's an awk-like language
designed for MIDI work, with a graphical (piano-roll with pop-up menus and
mouse-based editing) interface that is completely written in Keynote itself,
and hence user-customizable and extensible.  It runs best on 386 machines
(under UNIX with X Windows), also runs on Amigas and Macs.

Although the Keyboard Magazine review was generally accurate, it botched
the distribution details.  The AT&T Toolchest is not a BBS that allows you to
download programs, although they do have a system that you can dial into
and get information about the software available in the Toolchest.
The Toolchest is used to distribute source code for UNIX applications
like the Korn shell and the new version of awk.  You pay $100 to register
with the Toolchest, and the Keynote source code costs another $100.
If you want a hardcopy package with a Keynote reference manual and more
details on obtaining it, send me your postal address.  This offer is
extended to anyone.

    ...Tim Thompson...AT&T Bell Labs/Holmdel/NJ/USA...tjt@twitch.att.com...