[comp.music] Definition of "computer music"

cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penrose) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.083810.27113@ccu.umanitoba.ca> rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) writes:

>What is the definition of "computer music" ?
>Does it include "electronic music" ?
>I'd like to understand the "proper" definition ... :-)

Here is my definition proper:

Computer music is a label for audio signals that were in some way
affected by computer technology.

This definition ignores the possibility of "remapping" music's
temporal dynamics into other sense domains (i.e. visual music);
however, when communicating with other people, it is difficult to
overcome the traditional stigmas that pervasive terms (music) tend
to perpetuate.  In this case, music tends to be viewed strictly
as an auditory experience.

Christopher Penrose
jesus!penrose

eiverson@nmsu.edu (Eric Iverson) (02/27/91)

In article <17011@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penrose) writes:

   Here is my definition proper:

   Computer music is a label for audio signals that were in some way
   affected by computer technology.

Hmmm...that would mean most telephone conversations qualify as
computer music.  What about RF noise interference from a PC?
Actually, the Altair *did* use this to create music, but I hardly
think that most RF noise qualifies.  What about the sound of a PC
falling of a desk?  That's a sound that's affected by computer
technology.

I believe a more specific definition is in order.

Eric Iverson				Internet: eiverson@nmsu.edu
Computing Research Lab
Box 30001/3CRL				Life is something to do when
New Mexico State University		you can't get to sleep.
Las Cruces, NM 88003-0001			-Fran Lebowitz
VOICE: (505) 646-5711
FAX:   (505) 646-6218

ta-wvb@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Rick Bassett) (02/27/91)

In article <EIVERSON.91Feb26161016@aigyptos.nmsu.edu> eiverson@nmsu.edu (Eric Iverson) writes:
>In article <17011@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penrose) writes:
>
>   Here is my definition proper:
>
>   Computer music is a label for audio signals that were in some way
>   affected by computer technology.
>
>Hmmm...that would mean most telephone conversations qualify as
>computer music.  What about RF noise interference from a PC?
>Actually, the Altair *did* use this to create music, but I hardly
>think that most RF noise qualifies.  What about the sound of a PC
>falling of a desk?  That's a sound that's affected by computer
>technology.
>
>I believe a more specific definition is in order.

I'm happy with the above definition, since it's clear and simple.  Any
attempts to weed telephone conversations and PC's falling off
desks out of the category of "computer music" brings us back to the
age-old and unresolvable debate of "what is music?".  Music, like
beauty, is in the eyes and ears of the beholder.  After a long night of
work, the sound of a computer falling off a desk could be music
to my ears!
Rick Bassett
rick@woof.columbia.edu
ta-wvb@cunixb.columbia.edu

davisonj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (John M Davison) (02/28/91)

In article <17011@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penrose) writes:
>In article <1991Feb26.083810.27113@ccu.umanitoba.ca> rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) writes:
>>
>>What is the definition of "computer music" ?
>>Does it include "electronic music" ?
>>I'd like to understand the "proper" definition ... :-)
>
>Here is my definition proper:
>
>Computer music is a label for audio signals that were in some way
>affected by computer technology.

	  I would extend this definition to include the directions for
producing what Christopher Penrose defines as "computer music," so as
to ensure the inclusion of such things as Lejaren Hiller's piano rolls
and Samir Sayegh's AI methods for string fingering.

-davisonj@ecn.purdue.edu

cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penrose) (02/28/91)

In article <EIVERSON.91Feb26161016@aigyptos.nmsu.edu> eiverson@nmsu.edu (Eric Iverson) writes:
>In article <17011@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penrose) writes:
>
>   Computer music is a label for audio signals that were in some way
>   affected by computer technology.
>
>Hmmm...that would mean most telephone conversations qualify as
>computer music.  What about RF noise interference from a PC?
>Actually, the Altair *did* use this to create music, but I hardly
>think that most RF noise qualifies.  What about the sound of a PC
>falling of a desk?  That's a sound that's affected by computer
>technology.
>
>I believe a more specific definition is in order.

I actually considered the musicality of telephone conversations while
I was posting my first reply.  audible rf interference, the nifty whir
of a disk drive spinning up, the sound of coffee spilled onto a motherboard,
the grunge of a converted a.out core file, all these examples can be
considered "computer music".  Why must the concept of "computer music"
exclude these possibilities?   As an adjective, the word "computer" can
reference many distinct contexts:  it is a sleazy word.  As a composer
and aesthetic voyeur, I thrive upon the existence of plentiful aesthetic
contexts.  I mentioned in my first reply that I saw ways in which
this definition should be extended -- the consensual restriction of music
to the audio domain is an amputation of vast regions of potential musical
developments.

You desire a more specific definition of "computer music" -- I give
reason to extend and generalize its definition -- what concrete rationale
can you provide to justify a narrower context for this concept?
You may find it difficult to make your definition more specific without
misrepresenting the dispositions of people somehow involved with the
marriage of computer technology and music.

Christopher Penrose
jesus!penrose

ogata@leviathan.cs.umd.edu (Jefferson Ogata) (02/28/91)

In article <17051@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penrose) writes:
>In article <EIVERSON.91Feb26161016@aigyptos.nmsu.edu> eiverson@nmsu.edu (Eric Iverson) writes:
>>In article <17011@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penrose) writes:
>>   Computer music is a label for audio signals that were in some way
>>   affected by computer technology.
>>Hmmm...that would mean most telephone conversations qualify as
>>computer music.  What about RF noise interference from a PC?
>>I believe a more specific definition is in order.
>I actually considered the musicality of telephone conversations while
>I was posting my first reply.  audible rf interference, the nifty whir
>of a disk drive spinning up, the sound of coffee spilled onto a motherboard,

Why not just include the word `music'? As in:
  Computer music is a label for music that is in some way affected by
  computer technology.

I personally still don't think this quite flies; it leaves it hanging
on the definition of "computer technology". Besides, I don't think
Joe Ordinary will call a singer using a digital reverb "computer music".
And what about analog reverbs? Those are just analog computers...what
about a lot of things that behave more or less deterministically, but
are controlled by humans...like saxophones and pianos...etc.? Is all
this "computer music"?
--
Jefferson Ogata        	        ogata@cs.umd.edu
University Of Maryland          Department of Computer Science

curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson) (02/28/91)

eiverson@nmsu.edu (Eric Iverson) writes:

> In article <17011@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penro
>
> >  Computer music is a label for audio signals that were in some way
> >  affected by computer technology.
>
> Hmmm...that would mean most telephone conversations qualify as
> computer music.  What about RF noise interference from a PC?
> Actually, the Altair *did* use this to create music, but I hardly
> think that most RF noise qualifies.  What about the sound of a PC
> falling of a desk?  That's a sound that's affected by computer
> technology.

John Cage would probably agree that all of the above qualify as music.

cjs
curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca          | "Sometimes it's like a party you go to where
curt@cynic.uucp                  | there are no lights and everyone is doing
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!cynic!curt | animal impressions." -Phillip Evans on usenet

lwyse@central.bu.edu (Lonce LaMar Wyse) (03/01/91)

>   Computer music is a label for audio signals that were in some way
>   affected by computer technology.

I think a more restrictive definition is useful because it is more in
line with the (implicit) definition of other types of music. Basson
music, for instance, is music that couldn't be done without a bassoon.
If the music could just as well have been done on the cello, then to
that extent it is not essentially basson music.

Thus: Computer music is that music which can not be done without a
computer.

This definition does two things. 1) It assumes you already know what
the definition of music is and does not force you to accomodate. 2)
it throws out a load of music that uses the computer for transcription
of notes, as a random number generator, as signal source or filter
that could have been done in analogue, etc. Thus it allows a
distinction to be made between music that involved the use of a
computer and "computer music" proper.

						- lonce

   XXX     XXX         Lonce Wyse                                |
  X           X        Center for Adaptive Systems          \    |    /
  X           X        Boston University                     \       /
                       111 Cummington St.
                       Boston,MA 02215                   ----         ----
  X           X
  X           X        "The best things in life              /       \
   XXX     XXX         are emergent."                       /    |    \

garton@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Bradford Garton) (03/01/91)

In article <17051@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penrose) writes:

>the grunge of a converted a.out core file, all these examples can be
>considered "computer music".  Why must the concept of "computer music"
>exclude these possibilities?

Just for fun one night, we converted /vmunix on our Sun 3/280 (SunOS 3.2) at
20k mono, and I swear there is a human vocal sound in it!  About 2/3 of the
way through, it went "bleaugh".  Sounds a lot like LPC.  It was also
surprising how much periodicity there was.

It actually was a pretty snazzy piece of music -- we all wondered if it
might be possible to debug code by listening to it... :-)

Brad Garton
Music Dept.
brad@woof.columbia.edu

rowe@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Robert Rowe) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Mar1.142157.2548@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> garton@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Bradford Garton) writes:

>Just for fun one night, we converted /vmunix on our Sun 3/280 (SunOS 3.2) at
>20k mono, and I swear there is a human vocal sound in it!  About 2/3 of the
>way through, it went "bleaugh".  Sounds a lot like LPC.  It was also
>surprising how much periodicity there was.

Rick Banks did the same thing with the whole disk at the Institute of
Sonology one night about 13 years ago. He actually recorded the whole thing
on tape, turned into a nice piece about 10 minutes or so. I don't remember
if it ever made it onto a concert. It was called, of course, "Disco"...

robert rowe
MIT Media Lab

cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penrose) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Mar1.142157.2548@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> garton@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Bradford Garton) writes:
>In article <17051@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penrose) writes:
>
>Just for fun one night, we converted /vmunix on our Sun 3/280 (SunOS 3.2) at
>20k mono, and I swear there is a human vocal sound in it!  About 2/3 of the
>way through, it went "bleaugh".  Sounds a lot like LPC.  It was also
>surprising how much periodicity there was.

I converted /vmunix on a Sun 3/280 (SunOS 4.0) at 36k mono.  It shared
the speech characteristics and periodicity of your experience - everyone
in the room thought it was a choice sound.  When I need an arbitrary
binary file to test my signal processors, I always grab that file first -
I know where it lives.

I have always been irrationally annoyed by instrumentalists (guitarists
especially) who spend a great deal of effort (speech and prose) exalting the
mechanics of their instruments.  I have discovered that I obviously do this
too.

Christopher Penrose
jesus!penrose

niski@reed.bitnet (Joe Niski,(ext.525)) (03/02/91)

Aren't we getting to the point in this thread where we bump into our various
definitions of "music" itself.  I always liked the definition (i think from
E. Varese) of music as "organized sound".  Doesn't matter what tools you use
for organizing... heck, if you believe in Brian Eno (and Cage), most of the
"organizing" takes place between our ears.

Whether this leads to a useful definition of "computer music" depends on your
uses, i suppose.

smithj@hpsad.HP.COM (Jim Smith) (03/03/91)

The definition of Computer Music as "music that couldn't be done without a
computer" is probably also too restrictive, since it would exclude
computerized simulations of non-Computer music, such as a re-creation of
an orchestral piece, using orchestral sounds, but realized on a computer, or
that simulated vocal that was done at (I think) CCRMA and featured on the
Nova 'science and music' episode last year.  These aspects should probably
be included in the definition.  It would also exclude something like a
digitally-played acoustic piano (ala Disklavier) being 'conducted' by an

alternative controller (radio drum or airdrums or ??), since this music
could be played on the piano by the pianist, yet, again, this should
probably be included in the definition.
| Jim Smith                         | e-mail: smithj@hpsad.HP.COM             |
| Firmware/Software/Kludges         | Simulated Synclavier Music?             |
| HP Signal Analysis Division       | AT&T: (707) 794-4632                    |
| 1212 Valley House Dr.             | Real Computers use Drumsticks!          |
| Rohnert Park, CA 94928-4999       | I just diddle the bitstream...          |
|      Everybody wants a piece of Iraq to wind around their string - TMBJ     |

davisonj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (John M Davison) (03/05/91)

In article <16173@reed.UUCP> niski@reed.bitnet (Joe Niski) writes:

>Aren't we getting to the point in this thread where we bump into our various
>definitions of "music" itself.  I always liked the definition (i think from
>E. Varese) of music as "organized sound".  Doesn't matter what tools you use

	Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Varese used the
term "organized sound" in order to distinguish his work as a superset
of music...but at the same time I must agree that the "organized
sound" definition is quite applicable in our time.

of course, that means that SMPTE stripes qualify as computer
music...but we're probably going to run into exceptions no matter what
definition is used.

-davisonj@ecn.purdue.edu