[comp.music] MUSIC SOFTWARE FOR AT 386

kobetitsch@picker.com (harry kobetitsch) (03/07/91)

Is there anyone out there that uses a 386 based computer
for sequencing, arranging, editing, .....

Right now ,I have a 386 running Cakewalk V3.0 and DR.Ts XOR.

I would like to know if there are any sequencers you feel are
better than Cakewalk. What kind of scoring software is worth
looking at? Finally, what kind of music notation software is
worth looking at?

Voice: 216-473-2624
FAX: 216-473-7032
internet: kobetitsch@picker.com
uucp: ...!uunet!picker!kobetitsch

smortaz@handel.Eng.Sun.COM (Shahrokh Mortazavi) (03/08/91)

In article <201@picker.Picker.COM> kobetitsch@picker.com (harry kobetitsch) writes:
>Is there anyone out there that uses a 386 based computer
>for sequencing, arranging, editing, .....
>
>Right now ,I have a 386 running Cakewalk V3.0 and DR.Ts XOR.
>
>I would like to know if there are any sequencers you feel are
>better than Cakewalk. What kind of scoring software is worth

yes, voyetra's sequencer-plus.  i have both cw and seq+ and use each
for its particular strengths.  for hardcore editing, etc seq+ is better
suited.  but there are definately better sequencers than both of these
on non-ibm platform.  vision, performer, cubase...  good news is that
some of these are being ported to windows 3.0.  yipeee.

uge@athena.mit.edu (Eugene A Beidl) (03/09/91)

In article <201@picker.Picker.COM>, kobetitsch@picker.com (harry kobetitsch) writes:
|> Is there anyone out there that uses a 386 based computer
|> for sequencing, arranging, editing, .....
|>
|> Right now ,I have a 386 running Cakewalk V3.0 and DR.Ts XOR.
|>
|> I would like to know if there are any sequencers you feel are
|> better than Cakewalk. What kind of scoring software is worth
|> looking at? Finally, what kind of music notation software is
|> worth looking at?

Cakewalk pro is probably the most powerful IBM sequencer on the market, and
Sequencer Plus Gold is right there with it.  Neither has notation built into
it, although Twelve Tone Systems (Cakewalk people) are releasing a mini notation
($99 list) package to perhaps run simultaneously.  Personal Composer, though
it has both notation and sequencing, was highly disrecommended to me because
of its poor support and other difficulties.

Finale is the best Notation/Scoring program available, and Copyist DTP from
Dr. T's is good too.  They both support PostScript, but Finale allows real-time
input/output (wimpy sequencing) as well.

--Eugene A. Beidl
--uge@athena.mit.edu

remde@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Kevin Remde) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar8.212649.16104@athena.mit.edu> uge@athena.mit.edu (Eugene A Beidl) writes:

>Cakewalk pro is probably the most powerful IBM sequencer on the market, and
>Sequencer Plus Gold is right there with it.  Neither has notation built into
>it, although Twelve Tone Systems (Cakewalk people) are releasing a mini notation
>($99 list) package to perhaps run simultaneously.

What?  That's the first I've heard of this notation package from Twelve-Tone.
Could you (or somebody) expand on this?  What are it's capabilities?  When
will it be available?  What sort of link to Cakewalk are we talking about?
Will I need Cakewalk 4.0, or is 3.0 good enough?  Will it run adequately
on my lowly 8088?  (heh.. this might just be the excuse I need to finally
update my hardware... as if Windows 3.0 isn't enough.  :) )

Kevin A. Remde			                  remde@c10sd6.StPaul.NCR.COM
NCR Network Products Division

uge@athena.mit.edu (Eugene A Beidl) (03/19/91)

In article <925@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM>, remde@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Kevin Remde) writes:
|> In article <1991Mar8.212649.16104@athena.mit.edu> uge@athena.mit.edu (Eugene A Beidl) writes:
|> >
|> >Cakewalk pro is probably the most powerful IBM sequencer on the market, and
|> >Sequencer Plus Gold is right there with it.  Neither has notation built into
|> >it, although Twelve Tone Systems (Cakewalk people) are releasing a mini notation
|> >($99 list) package to perhaps run simultaneously.
|>
|> What?  That's the first I've heard of this notation package from Twelve-Tone.
|> Could you (or somebody) expand on this?  What are it's capabilities?  When
|> will it be available?  What sort of link to Cakewalk are we talking about?
|> Will I need Cakewalk 4.0, or is 3.0 good enough?  Will it run adequately
|> on my lowly 8088?  (heh.. this might just be the excuse I need to finally
|> update my hardware... as if Windows 3.0 isn't enough.  :) )

|> Kevin A. Remde			                  remde@c10sd6.StPaul.NCR.COM
|> NCR Network Products Division

The only way I heard of the notation stuff from Twelve Tone was by the literature
they sent me for Cakewalk.  It had a blurb in the back advertising it and said
it would be available by the middle of the summer.

--Eugene A. Beidl
--uge@athena.mit.edu