[comp.music] Johann's Dead. It was some other guy....

gtaylor@vme.heurikon.com (Gregory Taylor) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.135211.22785@cbnewsl.att.com> wjh@cbnewsl.att.com (william.j.hery) writes:
>But none of what I have heard rates the accolades you heaped upon it.
>Can you describe the music for us? Even better, can you compare it to
>the famous Bremen-Lausanne and Koln concert recordings? Is there
>really some new breakthrough since then (as opposed to the 10 lp/6 cd
>"Sun Bear" recordings which just have a week's worth of his ruminations)?

The most recent look at what Jarrett's been doing lately is the ECM
disc "The Paris Concert.", from a couple of years ago. While I'm sure
not likely to wax as ah....rapturously about KJ's recent solo performances,
I do think that the time he's spent messing about with the clavichord
["Book of Ways" on ECM] and playing Bach [WTC Book I is out, Book II
is on the ECM spring release list] has rewired his playing in ways
that I find preferable to the recordings you're using as standards. I
actually bought a copy of the Paris Concert, and enjoy it.

--
I am so lonely for the twentieth century,/for the deeply felt, obscene
graffiti/of armed men and the beautiful bridges/that make them so small and