[comp.music] Transcription programs for IBM...

knid%midiline.uucp@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Vermicious Knid) (03/20/91)

There is a pretty good scoring program called Laser Music Printer, which
lists for $99. or so that is dedicated to laser printers (I believe it
also supports the standard dot matrix printer configs, like Epson, IBM,
etc.)  The program I use is MusicPrinter Plus, from Temporal Acuity
Products, and I can't recommend it highly enough.  Superb quality output,
even from dot matrix, complete score flexibility (OK, so you can't do the
circular Crumb-type scores, like Score can!), unlimited parts, part
extraction, etc.  Give it a look if you can....it's in the same price
range as Escort, but I think it has far better features and much better
output.  The new 4.0 version, which is shipping now, supports standard
MIDI file format and PostScript, I believe.  As for sequencers, Cakewalk
is by far the best buy FOR THE MONEY.  If you want a much more
professional level sequencer and a better user interface, check out
Master Tracks Pro or Pro 4 (for Macs.)  It is, however, at least twice as
much as Cakewalk, and if the extra features aren't that crucial, you
should get Cakewalk.

dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Dave Hayes) (03/21/91)

knid%midiline.uucp@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Vermicious Knid) writes:

>etc.)  The program I use is MusicPrinter Plus, from Temporal Acuity
>Products, and I can't recommend it highly enough.  Superb quality output,
>even from dot matrix, complete score flexibility (OK, so you can't do the
>circular Crumb-type scores, like Score can!), unlimited parts, part
>extraction, etc.  Give it a look if you can....it's in the same price

Readers take note...this program has (last time I talked to these guys
at NAMM) DISK BASED COPY PROTECTION.

That means, in essence, that they don't trust you as a responsible
consumer.

It also means that they can (and probably will) write bad sectors to your
hard disk. I have personally seen this screw up a couple of systems
real good.

Just the facts....if you like it that much BUY it.

--
------
Dave Hayes -  dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov - ames!elroy!dxh

mic@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Marc Clarke) (03/23/91)

Music Printer Plus does not support Postscript output.  They support 9
and 24-pin dot matrix printers and Laserjet compatible printers.