[comp.music] Finale experience ?

dixon@twisto.compaq.com (Dixon Dick) (03/21/91)

I wonder if someone can tell me a couple of things about Finale:

	- Is it copy-protected ?
	- Can I use the Adobe Sonata font ?
	- What kind of memory limitations during MIDI recording
	  might I run into ?

I ask these questions after having done a "try before you buy" on
Music Printer Plus, Personal Composer and some other cheaper stuff.

I'm discovering that the state of the art is not as far along as I'd
like it to be, and before I buy one of these things, I wonder if someone
who has a copy of Finale could let me know how well it works.

dcd

%  Dixon Chan Dick  (dixon@twisto.compaq.com)   Compaq Computer Corp.	 %
%									 %
% "All dumb opinions expressed here are mine and not Compaq's etc. etc." %

mic@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Marc Clarke) (03/23/91)

> / hpfcso:comp.music / dixon@twisto.compaq.com (Dixon Dick) /  8:38 am  Mar 21, 1991 /
> I wonder if someone can tell me a couple of things about Finale:
>
> 	- Is it copy-protected ?

No.

> 	- Can I use the Adobe Sonata font ?

Yes.  It is supplied as part of the Finale package.

> 	- What kind of memory limitations during MIDI recording
> 	  might I run into ?

According to the Coda Music support staff, none.  The program writes
its data to disk on the fly (unlike Music Printer Plus, which has a
64Kbyte data limitation in RAM).  The Macintosh version of Finale does
have a limit to the maximum size of a MIDI file you can convert into a
Finale data base.  The PC version of Finale does not have this
limitation.

> I ask these questions after having done a "try before you buy" on
> Music Printer Plus, Personal Composer and some other cheaper stuff.

A very sound policy.  So have I.  Somehow the marketing literature
forgets to discuss essential limitations in data space and file size,
and also forgets to talk about copy protection.

> %  Dixon Chan Dick  (dixon@twisto.compaq.com)   Compaq Computer Corp.	 %
> %									 %
> % "All dumb opinions expressed here are mine and not Compaq's etc. etc." %
> ----------

I urge everyone to boycott copy-protected products.

dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Dave Hayes) (03/25/91)

mic@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Marc Clarke) writes:

>I urge everyone to boycott copy-protected products.

Hear, Hear!

ESPECIALLY when  they cost more than 200 dollars...
--
------
Dave Hayes -  dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov - ames!elroy!dxh

With a jar on his back, a blind man walked at night, holding a lamp. A