[comp.music] Transposing early music

tpermutt@eng.umd.edu (Thomas Permutt) (03/20/91)

In article <3722@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> carroll@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:
>In article <1991Mar19.082948.10987@athena.mit.edu> jsc@riddler.MIT.EDU (Jin S Choi) writes:
>
>>the difference. A slightly more relevant case: many classical tapes are
>>recorded to play back at a slightly higher pitch than recorded. This is
>
>	I believe that this does serious violence to the composer's music.

What do you advocate doing about early music?  There is evidence that A
in, say, Handel's time was lower than today (I can't remember how much,
but more than a semitone).  Aside from the psychoacoustic subtleties
you mention, there are real differences:  the sound of a tenor singing
his highest note is quite a bit different from that of a note a semitone
or two lower, and sensitive composers used these differences to good effect.
Tenors today may be physically different to some extent, but probably not
precisely in such a way that A-440 now has the quality of A-420 or whatever
then.

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.154120.24561@eng.umd.edu> tpermutt@eng.umd.edu (Thomas Permutt) writes:

>What do you advocate doing about early music?  There is evidence that A
>in, say, Handel's time was lower than today (I can't remember how much,
>but more than a semitone).  Aside from the psychoacoustic subtleties
>you mention, there are real differences:  the sound of a tenor singing
>his highest note is quite a bit different from that of a note a semitone
>or two lower, and sensitive composers used these differences to good effect.
>Tenors today may be physically different to some extent, but probably not
>precisely in such a way that A-440 now has the quality of A-420 or whatever
>then.

	I'm an engineer, not a musicologist, but I think that the difference
is something on the order of a minor third (my memory may be failing me here).

	I advocate singing the piece at the pitch at which the composer
heard it; if that involves transposing the score, so be it.

	As a baritone often pressed into service in tenor sections, I'll
withhold commentary on the possible physical differences in modern tenors :^)

--
Jeff Carroll
carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

alves@calvin.usc.edu (William Alves) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.154120.24561@eng.umd.edu> tpermutt@eng.umd.edu (Thomas Permutt) writes:
>In article <3722@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> carroll@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar19.082948.10987@athena.mit.edu> jsc@riddler.MIT.EDU (Jin S Choi) writes:
>>
>>>the difference. A slightly more relevant case: many classical tapes are
>>>recorded to play back at a slightly higher pitch than recorded. This is

Deliberately? I've never heard of this. Do you know of any examples?

>>	I believe that this does serious violence to the composer's music.
>
>What do you advocate doing about early music?  There is evidence that A
>in, say, Handel's time was lower than today (I can't remember how much,
>but more than a semitone).

The theory that standard pitch has shifted slowly upward over the years is
an oft-repeated myth. There was no standard pitch in Handel's time, nor
really until the twentieth century. Studies of pitch references from 17th,
18th, and 19th centuries have revealed that A could be as much as a minor
third sharp OR flat of 440. If you did take an average, it would probably
come out to about 440.

However, the point is well taken that how can you know if a transposition
does "violence" to a composer's work if it may originally have been per-
formed at a pitch level completely different from today's standard?

>Aside from the psychoacoustic subtleties
>you mention, there are real differences:  the sound of a tenor singing
>his highest note is quite a bit different from that of a note a semitone
>or two lower, and sensitive composers used these differences to good effect.

This is why I would not advocate transposing recordings. As anyone who has
sampled a voice will tell you, timbre, as well as pitch, changes signifi-
cantly as you transpose because of the corresponding transposition of the
formants of the voice. While this effect is less noticeable on instruments,
it can still change the quality of the sound quite a bit.

This is the same phenonmenon, in a much more subtle form of course, that
gave us the Chipmunks.

Bill Alves

allyn@milton.u.washington.edu (Allyn Weaks) (03/21/91)

tpermutt@eng.umd.edu (Thomas Permutt) asks:

> What do you advocate doing about early music?  There is evidence that A
> in, say, Handel's time was lower than today (I can't remember how much,
> but more than a semitone).  Aside from the psychoacoustic subtleties
> you mention, there are real differences:  the sound of a tenor singing
> his highest note is quite a bit different from that of a note a semitone
> or two lower, and sensitive composers used these differences to good effect.
> Tenors today may be physically different to some extent, but probably not
> precisely in such a way that A-440 now has the quality of A-420 or whatever
> then.

The pitch difference doesn't only affect the tessitura of voices, but the tone
qualities of instruments.  David Ohannesian, a maker of wonderful recorders,
once gave me a demonstration of three of his baroque altos, all made as near
as possible just the same, but at three different pitches - 440, 415, and 390.
They were completely different in character, well outside of the normal
variation you'd expect between different instruments.  The 440 was rather
harsh and windy, the 415 was very nice, and the 390 was marvelous.  415 is the
modern standard for playing at baroque pitch, but there seems to be a movement
afoot to lower that to at least 410, and some people want to push it down more
towards 390.  415 was chosen mostly for the convenience of being almost
exactly a semitone down from 440 (making it possible to build harpsichords
switchable between 415 and 440), but measurements on old woodwinds show that
405 - 410 is more common, and lower isn't rare.

And renaissance pitch was nearly a whole tone higher than today.  Most
instrument copies are made at 440 (even professional instruments), again for
convenience, but they sound a lot more mellow than perhaps they should.

Also, artificially raising the pitch by speeding up the recording will have a
different effect than building, tuning, or playing an instrument at a higher
pitch.  The speed up changes all frequencies equally, but when you do it on an
instrument, the harmonics change relationship - some will get stronger, some
will detune, etc. so you change the tone quality along with the pitch.

As far as I'm concerned, recording engineers have no business making things
'sound good'.  They have a responsibility to make things sound as much like
the live performance as possible, and not muck it up with their own personal
taste, or lack thereof.  Many (fortunately not all) engineers spend so much
time listening through headphones to the warped stuff coming in through their
electronics that they no longer know or care what naked instruments sound
like, and prefer abominations like close miking, boosted bass, and a
'brighter' tone. Which is one reason that I spend nearly as much money on live
concerts these days as on recordings...

On the subject of perfect pitch:  I don't have either flavor (absolute or
relative).  I knew a long time ago that I didn't want perfect absolute pitch,
because of early music and the transposition problems that have been
mentioned.  But now I'm discovering, as my relative (interval) pitch
discrimination becomes better, that even that can be a liability.  All of my
ear training computer programs are based on equal temperment.  Then when I go
to play woodwinds with strings in meantone or just intonation, it's hard to
tell when I'm really in tune, because the correct tuning sounds strange to
equal tempered ears.  It's not enough to minimize the beats, because sometimes
that's exactly the wrong thing to do.  I think the only solution is to keep
playing with other people (hopefully better than me) as much as possible, and
learn to stay as flexible as possible.

Sigh, when I got into all this music stuff, no one warned me that I'd have to
_think_ so much :-)

Allyn Weaks

alves@calvin.usc.edu (William Alves) writes:
>The theory that standard pitch has shifted slowly upward over the years is
>an oft-repeated myth. There was no standard pitch in Handel's time, nor
>really until the twentieth century. Studies of pitch references from 17th,
>18th, and 19th centuries have revealed that A could be as much as a minor
>third sharp OR flat of 440. If you did take an average, it would probably
>come out to about 440.

I'll disagree with this - the myth is really that the olden days were far less
standardized than our modern measured perfection.  Even back to the
renaissance, pitch was nearly as standardized as it is today.  Everyone says,
'oh yes, 440 is standard modern pitch', but in reality, orchestras will play
anywhere from 435 to 445.  Some orchestras like a darker sound, some a
brighter.  Or maybe the oboist is having trouble with hir reed, so everyone
else has to compensate :-)

One of the confusing factors is that during the baroque, there were several
'standards' - organ pitch, which was very high (about a whole tone higher than
today), concert pitch, which was a little lower than we have now, and chamber
pitch which was about a semitone lower.  If you average all that out, you
might get anything, but it isn't a valid average.  The renaissance also had a
very high organ pitch, and a slightly lower concert pitch at roughly 470 based
on existing woodwinds.  Then just to confuse things further, the ultra high
organ pitch was so high (as high as 550 for one organ) that no one could sing
it, so organists were often trained to play down a major second... (see Grove
- pitch).

According to Anthony Baines in _Woodwind Instruments and their History_ (which
I just returned to the library, so I can't quote directly), even in the
renaissance, pitch was much more standard than you might think, because
musicians did a _lot_ of travelling.  Also, the Germans tended to make the
best brass instruments, the French were into woodwinds, and the Italians had a
nice line of strings. I know, gross generalization, but it does indicate that
instruments moved around even more than musicians did.

As a further bit of evidence from the baroque, Quantz in his _On Playing the
Flute_ describes how many middle joints you need to be able to play just about
anywhere, and he advocates the use of 9 joints, covering a semitone.  And
Quantz was no stay-at-home - he spent a couple of years travelling in Italy
and France before he settled down.  Since most existing flutes and recorders
range from about 390 up to 410, that works out to pretty good evidence that
baroque chamber music at least was played a good bit lower than today.

Allyn Weaks
allyn@milton.u.washington.edu

dc@presto.ruhr.de (David Channing) (03/22/91)

In article <18799@milton.u.washington.edu> allyn@milton.u.washington.edu
(Allyn Weaks) writes:

> alves@calvin.usc.edu (William Alves) writes:
> >The theory that standard pitch has shifted slowly upward over the years is
> >an oft-repeated myth. There was no standard pitch in Handel's time, nor
> renaissance, pitch was nearly as standardized as it is today.  Everyone says,
> 'oh yes, 440 is standard modern pitch', but in reality, orchestras will play
> anywhere from 435 to 445.  Some orchestras like a darker sound, some a

Here in Europe even 440 is considered to be very low. Almost all classical
orchestras in Germany nominally play at 443 or 444. European-made woodwind
instruments (I don't know about non-woodwinds) are generally designed for 442
or 443, so the intonation is still tolerable when they are tuned to 440 or 445.

> brighter.  Or maybe the oboist is having trouble with hir reed, so everyone
> else has to compensate :-)

Most of the oboe players I know check their pitch with a tuning meter before
passing it on to the rest of the orchestra.
--
dc@presto.ruhr.sub.org
dc@presto.ruhr.de

kent@anduin.ocf.llnl.gov (Kent Crispin) (03/23/91)

In article <31234@usc> alves@calvin.usc.edu (William Alves) writes:

>The theory that standard pitch has shifted slowly upward over the years is
>an oft-repeated myth. There was no standard pitch in Handel's time, nor
>really until the twentieth century. Studies of pitch references from 17th,
>18th, and 19th centuries have revealed that A could be as much as a minor
>third sharp OR flat of 440. If you did take an average, it would probably
>come out to about 440.

I don't know about the studies that you mention, but literature that I
got from a harpsichord manufacturer (Hubbard) states that tuning an old
harpsichord to A440, using the wire they used then, is impossible,
because the wire DOES break.  They (and other manufacturers) recommend
that the instument be tuned to A415.  Many present day instruments are
built with a "transposing keyboard" -- the keyboard shifts right a half
step.  This is so you can play at concert pitch if you desire to.  Since
early instrument makers could have easily have shifted their keyboards
if they wanted to, I think there is some truth to the myth.  Early
keyboard instruments were clearly manufactured within limits that
make our current standard pitch impossible.

weigel@DPW.COM (William Weigel) (03/24/91)

     A previous comment indicated that classical music recordings are
sometimes adjusted by the recording engineers to be slightly high in pitch.
I don't know whether this practice is common, but I do know that many
turntables used to be manufactured to play slightly faster than 33-1/3 rpm
for the same reason.  As a college freshman
I became so irritated about this phenomenon that I finally opened up my KLH
"suitcase stereo," removed the appropriate piece and ground it down in the
machine shop so that the damn thing would play the Haydn trumpet concerto
in Eb instead of E!

alves@calvin.usc.edu (William Alves) (03/27/91)

In article <18799@milton.u.washington.edu> allyn@milton.u.washington.edu (Allyn Weaks) writes:
>alves@calvin.usc.edu (William Alves) writes:
>>The theory that standard pitch has shifted slowly upward over the years is
>>an oft-repeated myth. There was no standard pitch in Handel's time, nor
>>really until the twentieth century. Studies of pitch references from 17th,
>>18th, and 19th centuries have revealed that A could be as much as a minor
>>third sharp OR flat of 440. If you did take an average, it would probably
>>come out to about 440.
>
>I'll disagree with this - the myth is really that the olden days were far less
>standardized than our modern measured perfection.  Even back to the
>renaissance, pitch was nearly as standardized as it is today.  Everyone says,
>'oh yes, 440 is standard modern pitch', but in reality, orchestras will play
>anywhere from 435 to 445.  Some orchestras like a darker sound, some a
>brighter.  Or maybe the oboist is having trouble with hir reed, so everyone
>else has to compensate :-)
>
>One of the confusing factors is that during the baroque, there were several
>'standards' - organ pitch, which was very high (about a whole tone higher than
>today), concert pitch, which was a little lower than we have now, and chamber
>pitch which was about a semitone lower.

It is well known that there were several "relative standards," of which the
most famous were "Chor-ton" (or organ pitch, as you call it), and "Kammer-
ton" -- the pitch of the woodwind instruments. Usually kammer-ton was a whole
step lower in the late baroque, but sometimes as much as a minor third lower
(which Bach called tief-kammer-ton).

However, none of these was really a "standard" in terms of frequency. Of
course they didn't seem to vary as much as a tritone, which one would expect
if the pitch selection was totally random, but neither do I think it could
be called "nearly as standardized as it is today."

Arthur Mendel's exhaustive study (Acta Musicologica 50/1 1978 pp. 1-93) finds
the A on 16th to 18th century organs to vary from 393 to 495. While it is
difficult to know what fingering represented what written pitch in woodwinds,
he found a similar variety there.

You mention the Grove's article, which, like Praetorius, attempts to
"classify" this extremely wide range into seven transposition levels based
on Praetorius' standard (given as c. 430). But Praetorius was trying to show
how local standards in other times and places compared. I don't believe that
absolute pitch was in any way based on a kind of semitonal transposition
system.

For example, while Bach in Leipzig worked with the Chor-ton/kammer-ton sys-
tem mentioned earlier, his woodwinds at Weimar seem to have been about a
semitone lower than those in Leipzig (hence tief-kammer-ton). Agricola says
that the "harpsichords and other instruments" in Lombardy and Venice are
about a semitone lower than the North German Chor-ton. Old French "ton de
chapelle" was apparently about a major third lower than North German Chor-
ton, and their "ton de chambre" probably a semitone higher than that.

>If you average all that out, you might get anything, but it isn't a valid
>average.

I will agree that averaging the small available sampling of pitches from
widely divergent places and times is not a way of finding a pitch "standard."
My only reason for suggesting this mean was to show that the hypothesis that
415 was some sort of standard in early music, or at least that most pitches
in kammer-ton centered around it, is not necessarily a valid conclusion.

>The renaissance also had a
>very high organ pitch, and a slightly lower concert pitch at roughly 470 based
>on existing woodwinds.  Then just to confuse things further, the ultra high
>organ pitch was so high (as high as 550 for one organ) that no one could sing
>it, so organists were often trained to play down a major second... (see Grove
>- pitch).

There is so little extant physical evidence from the renaissance, I don't
think such a firm statement can be made. Mendel examined existing woodwinds
and found a wide variety. As I said above, the real problem is knowing
which fingering indicated which written note.

>According to Anthony Baines in _Woodwind Instruments and their History_ (which
>I just returned to the library, so I can't quote directly), even in the
>renaissance, pitch was much more standard than you might think, because
>musicians did a _lot_ of travelling.  Also, the Germans tended to make the
>best brass instruments, the French were into woodwinds, and the Italians had a
>nice line of strings. I know, gross generalization, but it does indicate that
>instruments moved around even more than musicians did.

>As a further bit of evidence from the baroque, Quantz in his _On Playing the
>Flute_ describes how many middle joints you need to be able to play just about
>anywhere, and he advocates the use of 9 joints, covering a semitone.  And
>Quantz was no stay-at-home - he spent a couple of years travelling in Italy
>and France before he settled down.  Since most existing flutes and recorders
>range from about 390 up to 410, that works out to pretty good evidence that
>baroque chamber music at least was played a good bit lower than today.

Mendel gives examples of several flutes that Quantz owned. Of the first, only
one of an unknown number of joints survive, the second to flattest one, and
it plays about 440. Another has a third-to-sharpest joint survive, measured
at 441. One might not need joints to change the pitch more than a semitone
either way, because one could also transpose.

Mendel concluded:

"Notions that the tendency of pitch-standards has been continuously upward
or that over long periods and throughout European musical culture one pitch
prevailed (with minor variations)...are false."

Bill Alves

In article <803@llnl.LLNL.GOV> kent@ocfmail.ocf.llnl.gov writes:
>In article <31234@usc> alves@calvin.usc.edu (William Alves) writes:
>>
>>The theory that standard pitch has shifted slowly upward over the years is
>>an oft-repeated myth. There was no standard pitch in Handel's time, nor
>>really until the twentieth century. Studies of pitch references from 17th,
>>18th, and 19th centuries have revealed that A could be as much as a minor
>>third sharp OR flat of 440. If you did take an average, it would probably
>>come out to about 440.
>
>I don't know about the studies that you mention, but literature that I
>got from a harpsichord manufacturer (Hubbard) states that tuning an old
>harpsichord to A440, using the wire they used then, is impossible,
>because the wire DOES break.  They (and other manufacturers) recommend
>that the instument be tuned to A415.  Many present day instruments are
>built with a "transposing keyboard" -- the keyboard shifts right a half
>step.  This is so you can play at concert pitch if you desire to.  Since
>early instrument makers could have easily have shifted their keyboards
>if they wanted to, I think there is some truth to the myth.  Early
>keyboard instruments were clearly manufactured within limits that
>make our current standard pitch impossible.

The main reference, as I said in another post, is Arthur Mendel's "Pitch
in Western Music since 1500" (Acta Musicologica 50/1 1978 pp. 1-93). In
reference to harpsichords in particular, he makes several points:

1) Many existing historical instruments have been reconstructed. These
reconstructions are often based on conflicting assumptions.

2) Knowledge about the material used for the strings is sketchy at best,
and varied from place to place. The tension and pitch for different ma-
terials varied widely. Iron required a great deal more tension than brass
or copper, for example. If inharmonicity is not desirable, then both steel
and iron must have a much greater tension than copper or brass.

A study by J. Barnes of Italian harpsichords in the 17th century found
variations from a perfect fourth below modern pitch up to modern pitch.

My own experience tuning modern harpsichords with steel strings is that
tuning can easily be varied a minor third or more either way without any
danger of breaking the wire. I cannot say that this was true in the
baroque, but my inclination is to believe that the manufacturers are
conservative in their estimate.

Bill Alves