[comp.music] conversion programs to MusicTeX

gaspar@urz.unibas.ch (03/24/91)

From: gaspar@urz.unibas.ch
Newsgroups: comp.music
Subject: conversion programs to MusicTeX
Date: 24 Mar 91 14:51:02 MET

Hello!
Does anybody know, if there exists a conversion program from MIDI to
MusicTeX or CSOUND scorefile to MusicTeX?
I was very impressed by the results that MusicTeX gives but to write a
score directly is simply too complicated.
I'd be very glad to hear about these conversion programs or others to MusicTeX
thanks
      laci

jsc@kingtut.MIT.EDU (Jin S Choi) (03/26/91)

Speaking of which, has anyone written a preprocessor for MusicTeX or MuTeX?
I took one look at the format required for MusicTeX, gave out one gasp of horror
and deleted the whole thing. I don't have a few years to spend learning it....
--
Jin Choi
jsc@athena.mit.edu

prince@tusun2.mcs.utulsa.edu (Charlie Prince) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.112514.27938@athena.mit.edu> jsc@kingtut.MIT.EDU (Jin S Choi) writes:
>Speaking of which, has anyone written a preprocessor for MusicTeX or MuTeX?

Here's a silly question: Is there a difference between MusicTeX and MuTeX?
I dug up a copy of MuTeX, and it was nothing like what I wanted (it only
supported one-staff music, and I would really like full score capability).

So, in a nutshell -- Does MusicTeX (as opposed to MuTeX) let you do any more?

--
:"A census taker tried to quantify me once. : Charlie Prince              :
: I ate his liver with some fava beans and  : prince@tusun2.mcs.utulsa.edu:

gaspar@urz.unibas.ch (03/27/91)

In article <1259@tusun2.mcs.utulsa.edu>, prince@tusun2.mcs.utulsa.edu (Charlie Prince) writes:
> In article <1991Mar26.112514.27938@athena.mit.edu> jsc@kingtut.MIT.EDU (Jin S Choi) writes:
>>Speaking of which, has anyone written a preprocessor for MusicTeX or MuTeX?
>
> Here's a silly question: Is there a difference between MusicTeX and MuTeX?
> I dug up a copy of MuTeX, and it was nothing like what I wanted (it only
> supported one-staff music, and I would really like full score capability).
>
> So, in a nutshell -- Does MusicTeX (as opposed to MuTeX) let you do any more?

Yes, you can typeset music with as many (theoreticaly) staffs as you want.
The output it gives is amazing, but the language is not designed for humans.

cheers,
              laci

gaspar@urz.unibas.ch (03/27/91)

Sorry to post this again, but a nice person told me about a conversion
program from Amiga standart score files to MusicTeX and I lost the
ftp adress... shame on me!
Please send it again!
Thanks
         laci