[comp.music] MIDI software recommendations wanted

keenan@solar.card.inpu.oz.au (Keenan Teylouni) (03/27/91)

I am looking to get into MIDI without spending a fortune.

I already own an IBM compatible PC, so I would like to use it (with
appropriate software) to store the tracks played into it from a
keyboard.  I am hoping that I can buy a basic keyboard and play
stored music on a MIDI sound generator using my sterio as an amp.

The problem is that most electric piano keyboards that
would be suitable have sound generators, amplifiers, speakers, disk
drives, sequencers - all very costly and not in my mind necessary.
The level of computer expertise in most of the music shops is sadly
lacking - they'd obviously rather sell you a lot of costly hardware
than help design a basic and efficient system.

In addition it seems that to be able to play back say 16 tracks
with each track having a different sound (multi-timbral), only a
synthesizer will do the job ? !  Most (affordable) synthesizers
unforunately have a rather small keyboard.

The level of computer expertise in most of the music shops is sadly
lacking - they'd obviously rather sell you a lot of costly hardware
than help design a basic and efficient system.

Has anybody out there tried this approach ?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer

Keenan Teylouni           keenan@solar.card.inpu.oz.au

dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Dave Hayes) (03/28/91)

keenan@solar.card.inpu.oz.au (Keenan Teylouni) writes:

>I am looking to get into MIDI without spending a fortune.

Aren't we all? 8)

>I already own an IBM compatible PC, so I would like to use it (with
>appropriate software) to store the tracks played into it from a
>keyboard.  I am hoping that I can buy a basic keyboard and play
>stored music on a MIDI sound generator using my sterio as an amp.

What you want is "sequencer software" that will allow you to use
the PC as a multi-trak MIDI recorder. The most inexpensive software
I know of is Cakewalk 4.0 (make sure you get 4.0A) from Twelve-Tone
systems.

>The problem is that most electric piano keyboards that
>would be suitable have sound generators, amplifiers, speakers, disk
>drives, sequencers - all very costly and not in my mind necessary.

Well...not necessary in the beginning anyway. 8)

There are some low cost things out there that will let you do multi-timbral
sequencing.

Most of those cheapo Casio/Yamaha keyboards that you see in Sears have MIDI
out ports, and you can pick one up for around $200 these days. There are
classic sound modules like the Roland MT-32 or the Yamaha FB-01 that are
certainly available used...these shouldn't run you any more than $250 for
either.

You can also get a MIDI port for PC's for around $50 (Midiman Co.
sells these real cheap nowdays...I got one for that price...you can call
them at (818)449-8838 for more info)

There are multi-timbral synths with keyboards (and some even have sequencers)
like the Korg M1 that would be an all in one unit. Not sure what the used
price is on them, but this is generally a good starter synth as it is multi-
timbral and it has a keyboard in it.

Hope this helps!

--
Dave Hayes -  dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov - ames!elroy!dxh

One day, a Fool was in the village mill, filling his bag with a little
bit of every other person's wheat. "Why are you doing that?" someone
asked.  "Because I am a Fool" "Why don't you then fill other people's
bags with your own wheat?"
   "Then," the Fool answered, "I would be more of a fool."