[comp.music] The eye creates complementary colors

sandell@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) (04/04/91)

> o I don't know what all this proves, but I've been convinced ever
>   since that color perception is based on visual environment. Note
>   that this is different from the "take off your orange sunglasses
>   and the world looks blue" phenomenon -- there was no adjustment
>   period.

A number of people have been referring to this phenomenon.  I have been
reading about this sort of stuff recently in books on Color in Art.
They treat the subject with alot more precision.  Here are some extracts
from THE ELEMENTS OF COLOR by Johannes Itten.  He taught at Bauhaus
along with Klee and Kandinsky.

"If we gaze for some time at a green square and then close our eyes, we see,
as an afterimage, a red square. ... The eye posits the complementary color;
it seeks to restore equilibrium of itself." (p. 19)

In discussing the "Principle of Simultaneous Contrast," he writes:
"...we insert a gray square in an area of pure color of the same
brilliance.  On yellow the gray will look gray-violet; on orange,
bluish gray... Each color causes the gray to seem tinged with its
complementary.  Pure chromatic colors also have the tendency to shift
each other towards their complements." (p. 19)

Greg Sandell

p.s. Sorry for being a party to shifting the discussion away from music!

--
Greg Sandell
sandell@ils.nwu.edu