[comp.music] DX7 internals

cs@mat500.materna.de (Christian Strzyz) (04/05/91)

First thanks to John G., Christophe D., Darren A., Mitch S. & Paul D.D.

DX7 patches may be found:
(1) ucsd.edu         midi/patches/DX7
(2) louie.udel.edu   pub/midi/patches/DX7     (seem to contain the same as 1)

So my next question comes in line because I want to reduce these over 9000
presets: What format does these 4096 (32*128) bytes have, what's their
correspondance to certain voice parameters. Or more global:

         Is there any documentation of the internals of the DX7 ???
                 (Does Yamaha provides such a service ?)

Any help appreciated.

Christian Strzyz
cs@mat500.Materna.DE

scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) (04/05/91)

In article <cs.670790989@mat500> cs@mat500.materna.de (Christian Strzyz) writes:
>DX7 patches may be found:
>(1) ucsd.edu         midi/patches/DX7
>(2) louie.udel.edu   pub/midi/patches/DX7     (seem to contain the same as 1)

Interesting coincidence.  I just downloaded about 10,000 DX7 patches off
of CompuServe.  I started to go through some of them last night.  I'd
forgotten just how rude the DX7 could sound.  (No wonder some people
don't like the DX7).  After listening to about 1000 of the patches I'd
actually set aside about 20 of them as "usable".  However, when a good
patch comes up it really *is* good.  The most pathetic attempts on the
DX7 were the string ensemble patches (solo strings were pretty decent).
I gave up when there appeared to be a lot of duplicated patches.  I'm
going to hack out a quick and dirty program to remove the duplicates
before I continue.

>So my next question comes in line because I want to reduce these over 9000
>presets: What format does these 4096 (32*128) bytes have, what's their
>correspondance to certain voice parameters.

The TX216/TX816 manual has a comprehensive layout of the various
dumps.  You might also find what you want in a third-party DX7
text found in a music store (or book store).  If you have a FAX
I might be willing to shoot it over.  In any case, if you are
using a computer with a midi port to work with this stuff (and
you program), I suggest you do what I'm doing.  Combine the
individual patches into one *large* database and remove duplicate
patches.  After that you can either re-construct 32-patch banks
or send the patches one at a time to your DX7 for auditioning.  You
can then save the patches you like.

--
Scott Amspoker                       | Touch the peripheral convex of every
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM | kind, then various kinds of blaming