[comp.music] Exact colours

quayster@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Tony Chung) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr6.004426.24266@dgbt.doc.ca>
  ted@dgbt.doc.ca (Ted Grusec) writes:

 >Some people seem to think that way that we normally deal with
 >visual color is analogous to perfect pitch. I don't think this is
 >so.

I've heard that when people say they hear "colours", they are referring
to a pitch colour, not a visual nor timbral colour.  I've also heard that
pitches are addressed naturally, without any conscious thought.  That
would definitely be a skill worth having.

 >If I show you a "red", and then a slightly different shade of
 >"red" at some time later, then you are not likely to be able to
 >detect the difference between these two different "reds" without
 >having both to compare.

That all depends on how much colour training you've had.  Being an
artist, I have to be able to tell that Ferrari red is a shade oranger
than Porsche's "candy-apple" red, and both are brighter than Fire
Engine red.  (FE red is usually duller because the truck is covered
with dirt, see.)

-Tony

--
        "If you drive, don't drink."                    -- Tony Chung