[comp.music] Kinesthetic Memory &Pitch

gints@prophet.esd.sgi.com (Gints Klimanis) (03/27/91)

HI !!

I question the accuracy of remembering pitches by throat muscle tension.
 Has anyone (at least any male, since I am a male human) noticed that
low notes are easy to sing in the morning ?  Later.

acosta@locus.com (Joseph Acosta) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.163620.8399@odin.corp.sgi.com> gints@prophet.esd.sgi.com (Gints Klimanis) writes:
>HI !!
>
>I question the accuracy of remembering pitches by throat muscle tension.
> Has anyone (at least any male, since I am a male human) noticed that
>low notes are easy to sing in the morning ?  Later.

This can be flawed when signing in different temperatures, which creates
different air densities, thus the same muscullar throat setting will produce
different pitches.   As an extreme example consider what happens when one
breaths helium and then talks or then breaths a very dense gass then talks.
Each produces a different tone with the same muscle tension.

			-Joe Acosta

melby@daffy.yk.Fujitsu.CO.JP (John B. Melby) (03/28/91)

I have certainly noticed that low notes are easier to sing in the morning
when the air is clean, although in places where the air is rather polluted,
it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.  Then again, some people
(it seems) have trouble singing low notes in the morning...

-----
John B. Melby
Fujitsu Limited, Machida, Japan
melby%yk.fujitsu.co.jp@uunet

galetti@uservx.afwl.af.mil (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar26.163620.8399@odin.corp.sgi.com>, gints@prophet.esd.sgi.com (Gints Klimanis) writes:
> HI !!
>
> I question the accuracy of remembering pitches by throat muscle tension.
>  Has anyone (at least any male, since I am a male human) noticed that
> low notes are easy to sing in the morning ?  Later.

Yes, and I've also noticed that higher notes are easier to sing at night, for
me anyway.  This could be a result of the exercise that the voice normally gets
throughout the day, or it could just be different for different people.  Some
people (nightowls) tend to have an accelerated metabolism at night, so maybe
earlybirds could sing higher notes more easily in the morning.  Anyone else out
there have any observations?

awall@acorn.co.uk (Adrian Wall) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Mar28.141949.21382@uservx.afwl.af.mil> galetti@uservx.afwl.af.mil writes:

>In article <1991Mar26.163620.8399@odin.corp.sgi.com>, gints@prophet.esd.sgi.com (Gints Klimanis) writes:
>> HI !!
>>
>> I question the accuracy of remembering pitches by throat muscle tension.
>>  Has anyone (at least any male, since I am a male human) noticed that
>> low notes are easy to sing in the morning ?  Later.
>
>Yes, and I've also noticed that higher notes are easier to sing at night, for
>me anyway.  This could be a result of the exercise that the voice normally gets
>throughout the day, or it could just be different for different people.  Some
>people (nightowls) tend to have an accelerated metabolism at night, so maybe
>earlybirds could sing higher notes more easily in the morning.  Anyone else out
>there have any observations?

I find that in the evening, when my voice is tired, high notes become much
harder to sing. As for mornings, it all depends on what the night before was
like, but with a correct warm-up, high notes can become easier. If you don't
warm-up then it is likely that the exercise that the voice normally gets
throughout the day would make it easier to sing in the evening than it was
in the morning._____________________________________________________________________________

    /|   |                                         Hatfield College
   / |   |   _ .       _   A.M.Wall@uk.ac.durham   University of Durham
  /--|  /| |/     /| |/ |  or AWall@uk.co.acorn    DH1 3RQ
 /   | (_| |   | (_| |  |                          England.

mjf@mjm.mjm.com (Mark Fresolone) (04/11/91)

/ mjm:comp.music / awall@acorn.co.uk (Adrian Wall) /  7:35 am  Apr  9, 1991 /
In article <1991Mar28.141949.21382@uservx.afwl.af.mil> galetti@uservx.afwl.af.mil writes:

>In article <1991Mar26.163620.8399@odin.corp.sgi.com>, gints@prophet.esd.sgi.com (Gints Klimanis) writes:
>> HI !!
>>
>> I question the accuracy of remembering pitches by throat muscle tension.
>>  Has anyone (at least any male, since I am a male human) noticed that
>> low notes are easy to sing in the morning ?  Later.

The bass section at Stevens Institute always needed a beer or two before singing
 "Streams in the Desert" in order to pump out a decent low E-flat.

Mark Fresolone					mjf@mjm.com, rutgers!mjm!mjf
Melillo Consulting/MJM Software			908-873-0075/Fax 908-873-2250