[comp.music] Perfect Pitch

elkies@brauer.harvard.edu (Noam Elkies) (11/30/89)

In article <365@bbxsda.UUCP> scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) writes:
>I remember music theory class back in college.  We would have to do musical
>dictation.  The professor would play something on the piano and we would
>write it down.  The professor would start by playing a note and saying
>something like, "this is G#".  It was never the note he was actually playing.
>This was to annoy the "perfect pitch" students so they would be forced to
>hear the intervals rather than the absolute pitches.

So what's to stop them from writing down the notes they hear and then
transposing them after the fact?

Perhaps the only solution is to segregate ear-training classes by perfect
pitch---but that's usually impractical.

--Noam D. Elkies (elkies@zariski.harvard.edu)
  Department of Mathematics, Harvard Univ.

harlan@bbn.com (Harlan Feinstein) (11/30/89)

In article <3289@husc6.harvard.edu> elkies@brauer.harvard.edu (Noam Elkies) writes:
>So what's to stop them from writing down the notes they hear and then
>transposing them after the fact?

Nothing stops them from doing that, but the point of the exercise (or one of
them) is to develop your relative pitch, to be able to hear intervals, and
eventually chords.  To do the exercise your way gets around this, but you'd
never learn the concept that's being taught.  It's like touch typing in that
sometimes the person learning can go quicker using hunt-and-peck typing, but
eventually by using the "correct" methods of typing (which are slower for the
time being) you can achieve more benefits (higher speed).

>Perhaps the only solution is to segregate ear-training classes by perfect
>pitch---but that's usually impractical.

At Eastman School of Music they tested people for it in the preliminary test
that places you in the proper music theory class.  I don't know if there was
a special class for those with perfect pitch, but there was one person in our
class with perfect pitch.  I don't think it necessarily would be impractical
to separate people like you suggest, as more music students than you would
expect have it...

>--Noam D. Elkies (elkies@zariski.harvard.edu)
>  Department of Mathematics, Harvard Univ.

Harlan Feinstein
hfeinstein@wash-vax.bbn.com
h_feinstein@guvax.georgetown.edu

scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) (12/01/89)

In article <3289@husc6.harvard.edu> elkies@brauer.harvard.edu (Noam Elkies) writes:
>In article <365@bbxsda.UUCP> scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) writes:
>>I remember music theory class back in college.  We would have to do musical
>>dictation.  The professor would play something on the piano and we would
>>write it down.  The professor would start by playing a note and saying
>>something like, "this is G#".  It was never the note he was actually playing.
>>This was to annoy the "perfect pitch" students so they would be forced to
>>hear the intervals rather than the absolute pitches.
>
>So what's to stop them from writing down the notes they hear and then
>transposing them after the fact?

Actually, nothing.  This was a course where students spent hours in the
music lab listening to lesson tapes training their ears to recognize
intervals.  Presumably, by the time the dictation sessions came around
it would be easier just to hear the intervals rather than mentally
transpose.

--
Scott Amspoker
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM

alves@aludra.usc.edu (William Alves) (12/02/89)

About the drawbacks of perfect pitch: I definitely consider perfect pitch to
be a liability if it sets up such strong expectations that changes of key or
tuning systems are "painful." And like other posters, I could offer such sto-
ries, like the musician who was couldn't enjoy an original instrument perfor-
mance of the Eroica because they had tuned down to A 415 (making it sound like
D major). I have already written of the professor who winced at my 7/4 ratios.
I tried learning perfect pitch, and had it to within a semitone for a long
time. But I listen to the intervals, the ratios in harmony and did not see
the value in learning perfect pitch, apart from having a way of checking my
answers on ear training exams and having a keen party trick.

In article <365@bbxsda.UUCP> scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) writes:
>I remember music theory class back in college.  We would have to do musical
>dictation.  The professor would play something on the piano and we would
>write it down.  The professor would start by playing a note and saying
>something like, "this is G#". It was never the note he was actually playing.
>This was to annoy the "perfect pitch" students so they would be forced to
>hear the intervals rather than the absolute pitches.

This is standard practice in our ear training classes.
I had a friend who taught ear training, and for a preliminary exam he gave an
interval identification in which the student was to write down the name of
the played interval and, optionally, the absolute pitches on an adjacent staff.
One student got every one of the absolute notated pitches correct, and every
one of the named intervals wrong. (i.e. the student would write C and G on the
staff, but call it a minor third or something).

Bill Alves
USC School of Music / Center for Scholarly Technology

elkies@osgood.harvard.edu (Noam Elkies) (12/04/89)

:
:Nothing stops them from doing that, but the point of the exercise (or one of
:them) is to develop your relative pitch, to be able to hear intervals, and
:eventually chords.  To do the exercise your way gets around this, but you'd
:never learn the concept that's being taught.

I realize that what I was suggesting amounts to "cheating" in this sense, but
I submit that confusing the perfect-pitch students in this way won't teach
them much about intervals anyway (though some may learn something about
transposing).  One of the other points of such exercises is to develop not
only a local sense of interval recognition, but a global sense of where notes
are relative to the initial pitch; this is accomplished better by perfect pitch
than any amount of relative training, so it's counterproductive to frustrate
the former (where it exists) in order to stimulate the latter.  Yes, musicians
with perfect pitch need to know about intervals and chords, but they best learn
this via a different process than other students---why force their square peg
into a round hole?

:>Perhaps the only solution is to segregate ear-training classes by perfect
:>pitch---but that's usually impractical.
:>
:At Eastman School of Music they tested people for it in the preliminary test
:that places you in the proper music theory class.  I don't know if there was
:a special class for those with perfect pitch, but there was one person in our
:class with perfect pitch.  I don't think it necessarily would be impractical
:to separate people like you suggest, as more music students than you would
:expect have it...

At a school with a large music program I'd expect this to be possible.
Smaller programs might have a harder time fitting into the same class the
handful of perfect-pitch students if (as one would generally expect) their
ears are at very different stages of development.

dts@quad.uucp (David T. Sandberg) (12/04/89)

In article <3327@husc6.harvard.edu> elkies@osgood.harvard.edu (Noam Elkies) writes:
>Smaller programs might have a harder time fitting into the same class the
>handful of perfect-pitch students if (as one would generally expect) their
>ears are at very different stages of development.

Question - by "different stages of development", do you mean they'd
be more advanced in some areas and less in others?  Some of the
comments made here about individuals possessing perfect pitch being
unable to identify a C and a G as a perfect fifth, for example, have
led me to suspect that at least some perfect pitch students may be
sorely lacking in other areas (chord and interval recognition, for
example).

I wonder if having perfect pitch can prove a liability if one
realizes too early that one has it, as one could come to rely on
it rather than train the ear to hear all facets of music.  Rather
like a fictional child with magical ability who never learns the
things they would need to survive without their magic...

--
David Sandberg             dts@quad.uucp or ..uunet!rosevax!sialis!quad!dts

camilleg@microsoft.UUCP (Camille Goudeseune) (12/05/89)

Here's my two bits' worth.  From age 6 to about 16 I had quite accurate
perfect pitch, then lost it (as in I'd be right in guessing a random note
played by someone on the piano 1 time in 3) until about a year ago, and
now still have it (age 23).  My main instrument is piano, if that makes
a difference.

But my "resolution" is only a bit tighter than a quarter tone.  On the
other hand, a cellist friend of mine at U of Waterloo (Canada) can tune
his pride and joy darn near perfectly without aid of an external pitch
reference;  but his sight-singing ability is almost nonexistent!
My theory is that either ten years of tuning a 220 Hz A string has ingrained
that pitch permanently in his head, or that he can hear the slightly
different harmonics produced by its body (same cello for quite a few
years) at slightly different frequencies.

Any similar experiences out there?

	Camille Goudeseune
	uunet!microsoft!camilleg

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broadrick Douglas) (12/05/89)

In article <9320@microsoft.UUCP> camilleg@microsoft.UUCP (Camille Goudeseune) writes:
>Here's my two bits' worth.  From age 6 to about 16 I had quite accurate
>perfect pitch, then lost it (as in I'd be right in guessing a random note
>played by someone on the piano 1 time in 3) until about a year ago, and
>now still have it (age 23).  My main instrument is piano, if that makes
>a difference.
>
>But my "resolution" is only a bit tighter than a quarter tone.  On the
>other hand, a cellist friend of mine at U of Waterloo (Canada) can tune
>his pride and joy darn near perfectly without aid of an external pitch
>reference;  but his sight-singing ability is almost nonexistent!
>My theory is that either ten years of tuning a 220 Hz A string has ingrained
>that pitch permanently in his head, or that he can hear the slightly
>different harmonics produced by its body (same cello for quite a few
>years) at slightly different frequencies.
>
>Any similar experiences out there?
>
>	Camille Goudeseune
>	uunet!microsoft!camilleg

   I think it is the ten years of tuning at 220 hz string.  I know that I can
    come pretty close to accurate tuning on my viola (which, although tuned
    higher than a cello, is close to the cello in that both have the strings:
    C, G, D, and A).

    Once you tune the A string it is easy to get the other strings tuned with
    exceptional accuracy.

    It would be nice to have perfect pitch.  I say that I can accurately tune
    a viola but I can only occasionally tune it COMPLETELY accurately.  Usually
    it's a few half steps off.

    Collin Douglas

    cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (12/07/89)

In article <9320@microsoft.UUCP> camilleg@microsoft.UUCP (Camille Goudeseune) writes:
>Here's my two bits' worth.  From age 6 to about 16 I had quite accurate
>perfect pitch, then lost it (as in I'd be right in guessing a random note
>played by someone on the piano 1 time in 3) until about a year ago, and
>now still have it (age 23).  My main instrument is piano, if that makes
>a difference.

>But my "resolution" is only a bit tighter than a quarter tone.  On the
>other hand, a cellist friend of mine at U of Waterloo (Canada) can tune
>his pride and joy darn near perfectly without aid of an external pitch
>reference;  but his sight-singing ability is almost nonexistent!
>My theory is that either ten years of tuning a 220 Hz A string has ingrained
>that pitch permanently in his head, or that he can hear the slightly
>different harmonics produced by its body (same cello for quite a few
>years) at slightly different frequencies.

>Any similar experiences out there?

I wasn't that bad, but I think it gets a little confusing during puberty.
Maybe more so for males, when their voices change.

Me, I don't consider myself to have perfect pitch.  I can tune a
guitar almost exactly without a pitch pipe, I always remember songs in
the key they were in.  It annoys me when I play a tape I know well in
my parent's car, becuase it is a little slow and lowers the pitch by
about an eighth tone (is there such a word?).  But if I've never heard
it before, it doesn't bother me the way it would some people with
perfect pitch.  Get this.  Imagining an E is easier for me than other
notes because the first note of "Greensleeves" is usually an E, and we
used to sing that song in music class when I was five.  Usually, the
only way I can name a note which is played to me (even an E) is to
imagine a C or an E on a piano, and use relative pitch.  Does this
count as perfect pitch?  Does this not count?  Who cares.  Oh, another
good one.  What is an A?  The first sound an orchestra pit makes
during tuning.

-Sho
--
sho@physics.purdue.edu

hawks@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Harvey H. Hawks Jr.) (12/08/89)

In article <372@quad.uucp> dts@quad.uucp (David T. Sandberg) writes:

>I wonder if having perfect pitch can prove a liability if one
>realizes too early that one has it, as one could come to rely on
>it rather than train the ear to hear all facets of music.  Rather
>like a fictional child with magical ability who never learns the
>things they would need to survive without their magic...

My 2 cents:
I have perfect pitch, and have had it for as long as I can remember, but up
until age 13 or so, I didn't identify this ability as anything special.  I
thought everyone, or at least all musicians (I had 5 years of piano including
theory and a couple years of trumpet), could identify pitches if they heard
them.  Since I didn't realize I had a gift, I didn't use it to avoid learning
about harmony, identifying intervals, etc.  Eventually, I gained relative
pitch.  For me, relative pitch (identifying harmonic relations) and absolute
pitch are not separable.

What is interesting, and something I haven't seen mentioned by anyone else,
is that	I have perfect pitch in two keys.  Since I play both trumpet (in Bb)
and guitar (in C), I have two ideas of, say, what an F is.  This makes
transposition into other keys a bit easier, although if I know a song in
one key, I can't immediately transpose it while playing (if that makes
sense).

As you were.
Harvey H. Hawks Jr.					hawks@cory.berkeley.edu
University o' Cal				          "Coyotes and time as
Berkeley					               an abstract."

mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) (07/12/90)

In article <1990Jun22.171537.1596@ultra.com> jimh@ultra.com (Jim Hurley) writes:
>In <137559@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> morning@mountains.Eng.Sun.COM (Cristina Ungstad) writes:
>

>>A couple days ago there was a big discussion on perfect or absolute
>>pitch. Can someone explain to me the benefit of having perfect pitch?
>
>>Cristina
>
>Not to answer, but to ask another -
>
>If someone has perfect pitch, just how perfect is it? That is, if I
>have an instrument tuned, say, in pythagorean scales, does this present
>a problem for that person? I would imagine that anything within about
>20 cents of equal temperament would be unnoticeably different.

Most estimations of noticability are within 2 cents, not 20, even
with people who don't have 'perfect' pitch.  Example from
experience:  when I was in the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Chorus,
we would occasionally do an excercise where over 16 *very* slow
beats (about 40/min.) we would do a smooth, evenly paced glissando
over the total interval of 1/2 step; yes that's 1/16 of a
half-step per beat or 6.25 cents per beat; oh, yes, this is with
half of the chorus starting on the lower note and going up, and
the other half starting on the upper note and going down.
Needless to say, it is not an easy thing to do (especially with
180 voices) but is quite possible.

To answer the first part of the question, about 'perfect pitch'
posing problems for different tuning systems, my experience is
that it depends on the person, not the skill itself.  I met one
person with perfect pitch who simply could not enjoy music (like
classical music of India) which was not structured
harmonically like most 19th century western music.

This brings us back to the subject found elsewhere in this
newsgroup, the 'intellectual enjoyment' or, more accurately,
'intellectual appreciation' of music.
  It seems that those instances where perfect pitch becomes a
hinderance is not because of the skills of perfect pitch (which is
really, I think, primarily a function of memory, not intellect)
but because of the intellectual sieve which is imposed on what is
heard (rightness/wrongness in relation to a believed 'correct'
model of tuning or harmony).
  More on this, of couse, later.

Cheers,

--Mark

Mark Gresham  ARTSNET  Norcross, GA, USA
E-mail:       ...gatech!artsnet!mgresham
or:          artsnet!mgresham@gatech.edu

paul@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/18/91)

> the advertisements would have the reader believe.  The good news, however,
> is that I have developed at least a modest degree of perfect pitch.  By
> "modest degree" I mean that, although
> I cannot sing 12-tone music reliably at sight,
> when I hear unfamiliar tonal music, I usually can identify what key
> it is in.  If I hear a single tone on the piano, I cannot identify it
> instantly (the way Mozart could have), but I almost always can identify it
> correctly after thinking about it for ten seconds or so.

There is a shortwave station that broadcasts standard time and
frequency (both radio and audio) called WWV (and another called WWVH),
run by the National Institute of Standards and Technology. In the late
60's and early 70's there would be 45 seconds of 440 Hz during one
minute, and 600 Hz the next minute, alternating through most of the
hour.

I managed to "burn in" 440 Hz into my neurons. Yes, I have to "think
about it" to "recalibrate", but it gives me perfect pitch.

tanith@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Michael D Kretzer) (03/19/91)

>     Last year I responded to a
>somewhat silly looking advertisement for a cassette tape course based upon
>the notion that anyone can learn perfect pitch.  This course was created by
>a man named David Burge, who claims that his methods have been successfully
>used by many musicians.

I saw this advertisement too, but due to the $80.00 or so
they charge for the cassettes, I didn't try it...
Is it worth buying?  Or can one learn just as easily in
theory classes as school.  I've had a semester of theory/
ear training myself, and I must admit that my "ear" is not
well-developed yet.
Would you please give more info about Burge's system?
Or someone else?

gints@prophet.esd.sgi.com (Gints Klimanis) (03/19/91)

Hi !!

I too purchased David Burge's Course on the basis that I believed that
we could learn to identify frequency bands of sound.

The driving force was that I could always sing a D.  And yes, the F#
below middle C sounds TWANGY on every piano, even samplers that
transpose samples all over the place.  Some of the characteristic is
prevalent on sawtooth string sounds.  I believe that there is some other
quality to really listen to.

After two months of about a half an hour a day with my younger sister, I
could reliably recognize the note and octave number of any note on an
88-note keyboard almost as soon as it was played.  I could also somewhat
reliably pick out the note and octave number of all notes of a four note
chord within thirty seconds.  My sister did the same in about three
months.  The learning stopped when I returned from summer college break.

In any case, it is not a perfect ability.  You can handle pitches with
about the same accuracy as distinguishing flavors of vanilla ice cream.
Sure, they're vanilla but HOW vanilla.  I doubt anyone was able to
recognize pitches in units of Hertz.  There is too much other evidence
that would discredit this type of account.

I do believe that my ability was learned, but I may have always had it.
Perfect pitch is not a characteristic of genius, because I am far from it.

In college, I tried the training with a roomate for about a month.  He
didn't get past four notes (C, Eflat, F# and A).  However, I attribute
this to lack of patience (I think he had a personality crisis).  Perhaps
it was improper to mix recognition levels.  Cruel but true.

Word of warning:  don't fess up to your abilities on demand, especially
while drunk.  Few people understand what you're talking about, even when
you tell the guitarist that he's a full half step off.

ttl@aura.cs.wisc.edu (Tony Laundrie) (03/19/91)

"Ask Cecil," a syndicated trivia newspaper column, recently stated that
perfect pitch may be inherited, but who cares?  Cecil acknowledged that it
is a nifty trick to be able to whistle an arbitrary key, but most musicians
don't have it and still play fine.  Do you people with "perfect pitch" really
find it useful?

jsc@athena.mit.edu (Jin S Choi) (03/19/91)

I've also managed to 'burn in', as someone said, perfect pitch. In my case, it comes from having played the violin for fifteen years and tuning it to a 440 A just about every day. You kind of get to know what an A sounds like, and not only that, playing an instrument, you also start to remember what pitch sounds when you play certain notes. I used to have to think about what note I would play in order to produce a given pitch in order to identify notes. Now, I can identify pitches in a second or so, a litt

le longer if a pitch is between semitones and I have to make up my mind which one it's closer to.

I've found that a lot of my musician friends have the same ability, and I really do think perfect pitch can be learned. It's more a matter of remembering sounds than any mystic inborn ability. I think the reason a lot of non-musicians and singers don't develop it is that they don't have to deal very often in absolute pitches. If you really want to develop it, try holding a tuning fork to your ear for a few hours a day. After a few months, you're probably going to remember what it sounds like.

--
Jin Choi
jsc@athena.mit.edu

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar18.214745.6496@spool.cs.wisc.edu> ttl@aura.cs.wisc.edu (Tony Laundrie) writes:
>"Ask Cecil," a syndicated trivia newspaper column, recently stated that
>perfect pitch may be inherited, but who cares?  Cecil acknowledged that it
>is a nifty trick to be able to whistle an arbitrary key, but most musicians
>don't have it and still play fine.  Do you people with "perfect pitch" really
>find it useful?

	Yes and no. sometimes it gets in the way.

	It's handy to be able to tune my guitar without a pitchpipe.

	I have had choir directors who used me as a human pitchpipe, which is
not always a pleasant experience. If I'm singing a capella in a choral group,
I tend to revert to inner pitch sense if the group is badly out of tune, which
only exacerbates the problem.

	In the church choir, I'm usually expected to be the one who sits next
to the completely tone-deaf chorister (there's one in every choir) who
couldn't sing the right note if you stood on both sides of him at once and
sang it into both of his ears.

	And if the director decides to transpose the piece, I'm in trouble.

--
Jeff Carroll
carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

In article <1991Mar18.195507.25639@odin.corp.sgi.com> gints@prophet.esd.sgi.com (Gints Klimanis) writes:

>After two months of about a half an hour a day with my younger sister, I
>could reliably recognize the note and octave number of any note on an
>88-note keyboard almost as soon as it was played.  I could also somewhat
>reliably pick out the note and octave number of all notes of a four note
>chord within thirty seconds.  My sister did the same in about three
>months.  The learning stopped when I returned from summer college break.

	I have had perfect pitch since I was a child. Neither of my parents
have it, and I doubt that any of my grandparents did. I do not believe that
it is genetically transmitted, any more than "tone deafness". I believe that
it can be learned by most people through ear training, or just by "osmosis"
through extended exposure to a source of variable-pitch tones.

>In any case, it is not a perfect ability.  You can handle pitches with
>about the same accuracy as distinguishing flavors of vanilla ice cream.
>Sure, they're vanilla but HOW vanilla.  I doubt anyone was able to
>recognize pitches in units of Hertz.  There is too much other evidence
>that would discredit this type of account.

	With the aid of my pocket calculator (for taking logarithms to
the base 2^(1/12)), I can get within about 3-5 Hz. I'm sure that I could
get down to 1 Hz with a little practice.

>I do believe that my ability was learned, but I may have always had it.
>Perfect pitch is not a characteristic of genius, because I am far from it.

	I can't comment on the correlation with IQ - my scores qualify me
for Mensa. However I had a friend in high school who had perfect pitch with
a substantially lower IQ.

>Word of warning:  don't fess up to your abilities on demand, especially
>while drunk.  Few people understand what you're talking about, even when
>you tell the guitarist that he's a full half step off.

	Until you show him, that is...

--
Jeff Carroll
carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

In article <3123@esquire.dpw.com> weigel@DPW.COM (William Weigel) writes:

>     Not long ago the New York Times reported on several studies which were
>supposed to have confirmed that perfect pitch (or absolute pitch) cannot be
>learned but must be inherited.  I am curious as to the reactions of other
>musicians to this statement.  For the sake of starting a discussion, I will
>briefly summarize my own experiences.

	I would like a reference to this article. As a person with perfect
pitch, I believe any such studies to be utter nonsense.

>     I tried Burge's techniques for a period of several months.  (The
>process requires about fifteen minutes each day.)  The bad news is that I'm
>only about half way through the process, and that it is less magical than
>the advertisements would have the reader believe.  The good news, however,
>is that I have developed at least a modest degree of perfect pitch.  By
>"modest degree" I mean that, although
>I cannot sing 12-tone music reliably at sight,
>when I hear unfamiliar tonal music, I usually can identify what key
>it is in.  If I hear a single tone on the piano, I cannot identify it
>instantly (the way Mozart could have), but I almost always can identify it
>correctly after thinking about it for ten seconds or so.

	At fifteen minutes a day, it'll probably take you several years to
acquire a Mozartian pitch sense, but you are IMHO making good progress.
(Mozart and I share the same birthday. Any net.astrologers who want to touch
that?)

>     Has anyone out there tried these techniques or anything like them?
>Does anyone have any scientific evidence as to whether or not perfect pitch
>can be learned?

	Neither of my parents have perfect pitch, though my mother played
several instruments. I have had mine since I was old enough to know what it
was; nonetheless, I am convinced it is a learned skill.

--
Jeff Carroll
carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

jsc@riddler.MIT.EDU (Jin S Choi) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar18.214745.6496@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, ttl@aura.cs.wisc.edu (Tony Laundrie) writes:
|> "Ask Cecil," a syndicated trivia newspaper column, recently stated that
|> perfect pitch may be inherited, but who cares?  Cecil acknowledged that it
|> is a nifty trick to be able to whistle an arbitrary key, but most musicians
|> don't have it and still play fine.  Do you people with "perfect pitch" really
|> find it useful?

I've found it occasionally useful in identifying keys of pieces and tuning instruments. Other than that, it can actually be quite an annoying ability to have. For one thing, it is much easier to transpose while taking dictation if you have relative pitch, it's just like taking dictation without transposing; you can't really tell the difference. A slightly more relevant case: many classical tapes are recorded to play back at a slightly higher pitch than recorded. This is supposed to give the music a 'bright

er' tone. I think this is really ridiculous because a) if you don't have perfect pitch, how can you tell? and b) if you do have perfect pitch and you know the piece, it's annoying to listen to something being played a semitone higher than it's supposed to be.
--
Jin Choi
jsc@athena.mit.edu

wuketich@bernina.ethz.ch (Johann Wuketich) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar18.215252.21611@athena.mit.edu> jsc@athena.mit.edu (Jin S Choi) writes:
>I've also managed to 'burn in', as someone said, perfect pitch. In my case, it
>comes from having played the violin for fifteen years and tuning it to a 440 A
>just about every day. You kind of get to know what an A sounds like, and not
>only that, playing an instrument, you also start to remember what pitch sounds
>when you play certain notes. I used to have to think about what note I would
>play in order to produce a given pitch in order to identify notes.
>Now, I can identify pitches in a second or so, a little longer if a pitch
>is between semitones and I have to make up my mind which one it's closer to.
>
>I've found that a lot of my musician friends have the same ability,
>and I really do think perfect pitch can be learned. It's more a matter of
>remembering sounds than any mystic inborn ability. I think the reason a lot of
>non-musicians and singers don't develop it is that they don't have to deal
>very often in absolute pitches. If you really want to develop it,
>try holding a tuning fork to your ear for a few hours a day.
>After a few months, you're probably going to remember what it sounds like.
>
>--
>Jin Choi
>jsc@athena.mit.edu
>617-232-3257

I agree fully with you.

I have had similar experiences like you, when I played guitar some time
ago (I did it for over 10 years very intensive but now I don`t have the
time for practicing every day).
I could tune my instrument to an accuracy within one halftone or so without
*hearing* any reference tone (but *remembering* one).
I could NOT recognize every halftone an an 88 key piano, because i never
did play (or tune) pianos at all. But I`m very sure that I (and all of
us) *could* do, if training long enough (like Mozart did, for example).

But as you can learn something (or `burn in`) you can forget it in
a much shorter time if don`t continue practicing.

So, my abilities are maybe far away from `perfect pitch`, in the sense
other people use this term, but close enough to think about.
Maybe we need a better definition or we are talking about different things.

I don`t know, if this has been proved by anyone in a scientific
experiment, but imagine the following:
You pick up the phone and and the frequency you hear is
some Hertz apart from the one you heard for so many times before. I can
imagine that *everyone* (not only musicians) would at least recognize
(maybe not realize) some difference.

Simple self-experiment:
Try to remember the tone first - then pick up the phone. Got it ?

My opinion is, that `perfect pitch` is `inherited` the in the same way like
most of us inherit the ability to see, hear, walk etc.
The point is that to do it, you have to learn it.
Everyone can ride a bike, some can earn money by doing it better.

Since our ability to remember or recognize *things* (patterns) is supposed
to base on some kind of (frequency) resonance in our neurons (this is only
*one* theory I heard), `perfect pitch` seems to be a
very natural ability to me and in no way mystic or exclusive to a few of
us.

	Hans.

|   Hans Wuketich           wuketich@bs.id.ethz.ch        |
|   Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zuerich         |
|	"if you can't beat 'em - boot 'em!"               |

verin@ircam.fr (Nicolas Verin) (03/19/91)

Could you please give the exact reference of the book and method to acquire
perfect pitch?

Thanks.

weigel@DPW.COM (William Weigel) (03/19/91)

     Someone recently asked whether perfect pitch is really useful to a
musician.  I think that it is enormously valuable to a composer, because
the notes take on different "personalities" which can be recalled while
planning a composition in one's head.  Mozart apparently had an
extremely refined level of this skill,
and it may help explain how he was able to create entire
compositions in his head before writing anything down.

     By the way, I understand that Wagner did not have perfect pitch.  I
wonder if he wouldn't have written more authentic cadences in his operas if
he had had a better ear.  I don't suggest this as a criticism of Wagner.  In
fact, I respect the opinion of him expressed by Mark Twain ("My musician
friends tell me that his music is really much better than it sounds!")

mrn@eplunix.UUCP (Mark R. Nilsen) (03/20/91)

> difference. A slightly more relevant case: many classical tapes are
> recorded to play back at a slightly higher pitch than recorded. This
> is supposed to give the music a 'brighter' tone. I think this is really
> ridiculous because a) if you don't have perfect pitch, how can you tell?
> and b) if you do have perfect pitch and you know the piece, it's
> annoying to listen to something being played a semitone higher than
> it's supposed to be.

I have been using that technique for several years. Whenever I
record a piece of music on my 4 track I use the pitch control on
mix-down to take things up about 1/4 step. The first time I used it it
was an accident, but I liked the result so much I kept doing it.

On another related note,  I have found that tunning an accoustic
guitar to a resonance is better than tunning to A 440 (IMHO).  I get
a referance pitch to tune my classical guitar by hitting the top of it.
I'm sure I wouldn't be doing that if I had perfect pitch.

--Mark.
--
"To skilled assembly language	      |	Mark Nilsen.
programmers, the 8088 is perhaps the  |

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.082948.10987@athena.mit.edu> jsc@riddler.MIT.EDU (Jin S Choi) writes:

>I've found it occasionally useful in identifying keys of pieces and tuning
>instruments. Other than that, it can actually be quite an annoying ability
>to have. For one thing, it is much easier to transpose while taking dictation
> if you have relative pitch,
>it's just like taking dictation without transposing; you can't really tell

	Transposing is very difficult. I used to have a miserable time playing
B-flat trumpet in high school, and embarrassed myself on a number of
occasions by misidentifying the pitch of a tone that sounded "brassy".
(Once people find out that you have perfect pitch, you become something of
a sideshow, whether you want to or not.)

>the difference. A slightly more relevant case: many classical tapes are
>recorded to play back at a slightly higher pitch than recorded. This is
>supposed to give the music a '

(I assume he typed 'brighter' here, and his text editor chopped the line.)

>er' tone. I think this is really ridiculous because a) if you don't have
>perfect pitch, how can you tell? and b) if you do have perfect pitch and
>you know the piece, it's annoying to listen to something being played a
>semitone higher than it's supposed to be.

	I believe that this does serious violence to the composer's music.
Though I have no training in psychoacoustics, I do have strong emotional
reactions to as little as a half-step shift in key, and I believe that
people who haven't developed perfect pitch do as well (in varying degrees).
There's a *lot* of difference between, for example, the key of E-flat and
the key of E, and to arbitrarily transpose a piece without compelling
technical reasons is extremely insensitive.

	Although I haven't heard this in broadcasts of classical music, I
*have* heard it on both classical and popular recordings. I have also heard
cases in which popular songs with which I was familiar were played by local
radio stations at a *lower* pitch than the recording released to the public
 - clearly a case of a slow turntable or tape deck. On one occasion I called
a station to complain, and the engineer dismissed me as a crackpot.

	I lead a group of folk musicians with limited instrumental skills.
I have not yet succeeded in convincing most of them that there is any value
to the use of a guitar capo as opposed to simply transposing the music into
a key more accessible to beginning guitarists. This may turn into meaningful
research into ear trainability before I'm done...
--
Jeff Carroll
carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

boy6@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Justin Boyan) (03/20/91)

I've had perfect pitch since I was small.

Introspecting, it seems that I do it by somehow having memorized what each
letter sounds like.  I feel as though my musical ability is very linguistic,
as if notes were letters, chords were words, and phrases were, well, phrases
in a language which is quite as natural for a child to pick up as a spoken
language is.  An article I read a couple of years ago in a psychology journal
(I forget which, sorry) asserted that this was how all perfect pitchies did
it, and that it had to do with having lots of musical exposure at a young age
and *not* with genetics.

I find that it makes transcribing very easy, that it's a very good party trick,
and that it makes it difficult to transpose.  When I'm playing a piece in a key
other than the key I learned it in, I have to make a conscious effort to "shut
out" my perfect pitch; *or* I try to mentally transpose it in my head as I go,
as in "let's see, I'm supposed to be playing an A here, but since I'm transpos-
ing I'd better play a C..."

As a side note, my father used to have perfect pitch but is now consistenly a
half-step flat; e.g., when I test him, he'll say, "It sounds like an A to me,
so I'll say B-flat."  And he's right.

Justin

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Justin Boyan				boy6@cs.uchicago.edu
5480 S. Ellis Ave. #2			home: (312)-955-5834

mjs@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Marc Sabatella) (03/21/91)

On another tangent, I've been thinking about the way some of these courses
describe perfect pitch - hearing "colors in a note" - or the comment here that
the F# below middle C always sounds TWANGY.  This also ties in with the feeling
that some keys are "richer" or than others, or the claim that D minor is the
saddest of all possible keys.

Some speculations: there is probably basis to these type of claims, given one
particular instrument other than an equal tempered, purely synthesized one.
After all, on, say, a clarinet, C will always sound different than Bb because
the leading tone in the former is a full fingered tone, usually slightly flat,
will the leading tone in Bb is open and a little sharp (assuming standard
fingerings, of course).  On a piano, different keys will use different strings,
so they could indeed sound different.  But note the "color" of a key would
vary from instrument to instrument, so as a means of achieving perfect pitch,
I wouldn't bet on it.

Is there any reason to think that, say, a pure sine wave "A" should sound
"different" than a "Bb", other than the obvious fact that the pitch is
different?  One possible explanation - perhaps some bones in the ear (or
elsewhere) have certain frequencies at which they produce sympathetic
vibrations.  Different pitches might trigger different resonances in the body.
If this is the case, then the "colors" would be the same from instrument to
instrument, but might vary from person to person.

fredrp@tdw206.ed.ray.com (Fred Ross-Perry) (03/21/91)

Allow me a question.  Perfect pitch as I understand it, is the ability
to identify the pitch of a tone by hearing it.  Can someone tell me why this
is a desirable skill?

 Fred Ross-Perry         Raytheon Company
 fredrp@mar.ed.ray.com   Equipment Division
 (508) 440-4481          528 Boston Post Road
                         Sudbury, MA 01776

fritz@urz.unibas.ch (03/21/91)

In article <3126@esquire.dpw.com>, weigel@DPW.COM (William Weigel) writes:

>      Someone recently asked whether perfect pitch is really useful to a
> musician.  I think that it is enormously valuable to a composer, because
> the notes take on different "personalities" which can be recalled while
> planning a composition in one's head.  Mozart apparently had an
> extremely refined level of this skill,
> and it may help explain how he was able to create entire
> compositions in his head before writing anything down.
>
>      By the way, I understand that Wagner did not have perfect pitch.  I
> wonder if he wouldn't have written more authentic cadences in his operas if
> he had had a better ear.  I don't suggest this as a criticism of Wagner.  In
> fact, I respect the opinion of him expressed by Mark Twain ("My musician
> friends tell me that his music is really much better than it sounds!")
--

I won't say anything about Wagner's "better ear" (although I would like to)
because it would cause an endless list of answers, flames etc.

Nevertheless I think that perfect pitch is the more useful for a
composer the more "modern" his music is. I think that Schoenberg
and his friends "used" their perfect pitch much more often while
composing. I guess that Bach didn't need one -- his music was much
more independent of the sound of a single note. One could say the
same about Wagner and Mozart.

BTW I'm a pianist and I never had any problems without a perfect pitch.

	Oliver Fritz
	University of Basel, Switzerland

graemem@cs.hw.ac.uk (Graeme McLean) (03/21/91)

I discovered about 10 years ago that I have perfect pitch. Since I made no
effort to learn it, it must have been inherited in some way. I had been
playing piano, recorder and bassoon previous to that so maybe it developed
sub-conciously.
Although I can tell to the nearest semitone what pitch a note is, I cannot
tell whether a note is perfectly in tune.
Obviously, playing in orchestra's lets you know whether you are playing in tune
but not whether the whole band is in perfect tune (if you see what I mean).

Some people seem to have perfect pitch on some notes but not others.
eg. I know a flautist who could tell whether an A 440 was in tune but not
any other note. I suppose that came from tuning up.

So, all I know is that perfect pitch can certainly be inherited and then
developed through practice. I don't know whether it can be learned - I'll
leave you people to decide that one ;-)

Graeme.

|  Graeme McLean 	     		        JANET: graemem@uk.ac.hw.cs  |
|  Comp Sci, Heriot-Watt Uni, EDINBURGH                                     |
------------------"You kind of like Chuck, don't you Sir?"-------------------

yj05@mrcu (Steve Collier) (03/22/91)

Being a psychologist by training, I naturally leapt to my nearest reference
work on this subject:

Sloboda JA (1985) The Musical Mind: The Cognitive Psychology of Music.
Oxford: Clarendon Press. ISBN 0-19-852128-6.

If anyone can recommend any books on this subject, that would be nice.

I quote from the book:

"People with the ability to name individual heard pitches
, or accurately sing named pitches, are said to possess `absolute' or `perfect'
 pitch [refs given]. This ability appears to be learnable by anyone prepared to
 undergo lengthy and systematic training [refs given].
"However, by no means all musicians have absolute pitch....among a sample of
1156 professional musicians, there was a high inverse correlation between age of
commencement of musical training and the possession of AP. Almost all musicians who began training before the age of six had AP, but almost none of those who
begun after 11 did.

"[AP gives a memory advantage, ref given:]..subjects were presented with two noteseparated by either one-tenth of a tone or three-quarters of a tone. ..AP
subjects did much better...on three-quarter tone intervals, but there was no
difference on the tenth-tone. The AP subjects were able to assign different
verbal labels (note names) to the two [more separated] notes...

"Verbal coding aids retention over longer time spans...[with up to a 15 sec gap
filled with random notes , both AP and non-AP Ss' performance dropped with time
for tenth-tones, but the APs did not worsen at all with a semitone]

"These results not only exhibit the superior memory performance exhibited by
those subjects with AP. They also demonstrate the categorical nature of AP.. It is not the case that those with AP have finer pitch discrimination than anyone
else...what they can do is assign the pitch to a class or range of pitches which
are given the same name.

"...those musicians particularly singers, who need to work with such
[contemporary `atonal'] music, have their task made much easier if they possess AP. There are situations where AP can be a nuisance. Listening to, or performing
key-transposed music can be very difficult...

Goes on to say that relative pitch is much more important and highly prized. It
also improves with training.

Please could we have some more details on the training tapes, including where
they can be bought from, or what they comprise if that would help to make a
home-brew. Presumably some of the references cited in the above text would
help. If anyone wants them in full, let me know.

Steve Collier                    | Tel: +44 245 73331 x 3233
GEC-Marconi Research Centre      | Fax: +44 245 75244 Telex: 995016 GECRES G
GEC-Marconi Ltd, Great Baddow    | uucp: <world>!mcvax!ukc!gec-mrc!collier
Chelmsford,Essex. UK CM2 8HN     | Other: collier@uk.co.gec-mrc
--
Steve Collier                    | Tel: +44 245 73331 x 3233
GEC-Marconi Research Centre      | Fax: +44 245 75244 Telex: 995016 GECRES G
GEC-Marconi Ltd, Great Baddow    | uucp: <world>!mcvax!ukc!gec-mrc!collier
Chelmsford,Essex. UK CM2 8HN     | Other: collier@uk.co.gec-mrc

weigel@DPW.COM (William Weigel) (03/24/91)

     The previous post asked whether a pure sine wave Bb sounds different
from a pure sine wave A.  David Burge, the perfect pitch teacher, claims
that the tone "colors" are apparent even with pure sine waves, and that
perfect pitch is completely independent of timbre.  My own ear has not
progressed to the stage of being able to express an opinion as to whether
this is true or not.

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (03/24/91)

In an article carroll@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) wrote:
>In article <1991Mar19.082948.10987@athena.mit.edu> jsc@riddler.MIT.EDU (Jin S Choi) writes:
>>the difference. A slightly more relevant case: many classical tapes are
>>recorded to play back at a slightly higher pitch than recorded. This is
>>supposed to give the music a '
>(I assume he typed 'brighter' here, and his text editor chopped the line.)
>>
>Although I haven't heard this in broadcasts of classical music, I
>*have* heard it on both classical and popular recordings. I have also heard
>cases in which popular songs with which I was familiar were played by local
>radio stations at a *lower* pitch than the recording released to the public
> - clearly a case of a slow turntable or tape deck. On one occasion I called
>a station to complain, and the engineer dismissed me as a crackpot.

From the technical standpoint, it is VERY difficult to maintain the correct
pitch of recordings that are made using tape, and especially cassettes.
I doubt that any of these alleged pitch changes were intentional.  Now if
the music was recorded all-digitally using Digital Audio Tape and CD's,
then one could complain, since there is sufficient control.  But tape
recorders just aren't that precise, unless every machine along the line
from the original recording through the radio station has been carefully
calibrated.

I do believe that pop stations speed thing up for commercial reasons--to
get more songs per hour.  But I doubt that classical music stations do this.

I once worked in a radio station where we had the programming pre-recorded
at another studio in 3-hour segments on big reels.  At the end of 3 hours
the tapes could easily be +/- 5 minutes off.  Cassettes are much worse.

--
John Dudeck                                        "Communication systems are
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                              inherently complex".

sandell@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) (03/24/91)

weigel@DPW.COM (William Weigel) writes:

> David Burge, the perfect pitch teacher, claims
> that the tone "colors" are apparent even with pure sine waves, and that
> perfect pitch is completely independent of timbre.  My own ear has not
> progressed to the stage of being able to express an opinion as to whether
> this is true or not.

Yes, I heard from someone who bought the Burge kit who said that the
method had alot to do with associating specific pitches with certain
colors.

If you play an A-flat in four octaves on an acoustic piano
there is alot of complex information in there that defines its
timbre.  Now I could tell myself that what I'm hearing is the
color "green" or whatever.  But if I hear a sine wave at the
same frequency I won't be getting that information I used to
make the association to green.

I won't get on a psychoacoustics high horse on this thing, but I
will say that to my intuitive mind, the idea of particular pitches on
the piano (let *alone* sine waves) having some sort of universal
color is pure hogwash and snake oil.  I suspect that when Burge's
customer's actually learned perfect pitch, it's because they
taught themselves to attach the timbre of each of the 12 piano-produced
pitches to SOME other sensory modality possessing an ordering
system they were better familiar with.  Instead of colors,
it could have been smells (lime, orange, lilac, whatever) or
textures (sandy, smooth, etc.).  Although it was probably important
to try to correlate changes in the dimensions of pitch (i.e. height)
to some similarly changing value in color (hue or luminosity) in
order to foster the best possible comparison between the two
modalities, you could accomplish the same thing with odor or
texture.  And moreover, it would be fairly unimportant what pitch
you chose as the starting point for your succession of colors, or
odors, just as long as you stuck to the succession.

These are just opinions, of course; I neither have perfect pitch
myself, nor have I purchased Burge's course.  Can you tell me,
does Burge's 'color scale' ascend in normal ordering of hues
(red, orange, green, etc.) along with ascent in pitch?

Greg Sandell

--
Greg Sandell
sandell@ils.nwu.edu

allyn@milton.u.washington.edu (Allyn Weaks) (03/24/91)

weigel@DPW.COM (William Weigel) writes:
>     The previous post asked whether a pure sine wave Bb sounds different
>from a pure sine wave A.  David Burge, the perfect pitch teacher, claims
>that the tone "colors" are apparent even with pure sine waves, and that
>perfect pitch is completely independent of timbre.  My own ear has not
>progressed to the stage of being able to express an opinion as to whether
>this is true or not.

It might be useful to remember that it's not possible to hear a pure sine wave
- you can _produce_ a pure sine wave, but by the time it gets to the nerves
that carry it to the brain, non-linearities in the ear have already added
overtones and combination tones.  Faint, but a trained ear can hear them
explicitly if the tone is loud enough.  Since the overtone structure of the
non-linearities will vary with pitch sensitivity of the ear, it could well be
that people either specially trained or born with better than average acuity
will hear a different tone color at different pitches.  I'd also expect that
the accuracy of pitch recognition would depend on volume of the signal -
certainly relative pitch perception of a sine wave does [Benade].

Of course, that still doesn't imply that perfect absolute or even relative
pitch is actually a useful or even desirable trait...

A question: long ago back in high school when I was singing regularly, I could
always very precisely sing a D, since so many of our pieces happened to start
there.  But it wasn't so much the pitch I was remembering, as the kinesthetic
memory of the throat muscles knowing what to do.  When doing your pitch
exercises, do you tend to sing or hum along, even subvocally?  And could that
be an aid?  Is your pitch recognition as good for notes well outside of your
singing range as for notes within it?

I will once again recommend the best musical acoustics book I've come across
so far:  Arthur Benade, _Fundamentals of Musical Acoustics_, Dover, ISBN
0-486-26484-X, $16.  It uses virtually no math (nothing more complicated that
a square root), but in spite of that, does far more than scratch the surface.
Included are extensive references to the literature.  For those not quite up
to a 550 page book no matter how good, Benade has a smaller introduction,
_Horns, Strings, and Harmony_ that I think is still in print.

Allyn Weaks
allyn@milton.u.washington.edu

curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt J. Sampson) (03/24/91)

In article <27ec3160.9d3@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>
jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:

> From the technical standpoint, it is VERY difficult to maintain the correct
> pitch of recordings that are made using tape, and especially cassettes.
> I doubt that any of these alleged pitch changes were intentional.  Now if
> the music was recorded all-digitally using Digital Audio Tape and CD's,
> then one could complain, since there is sufficient control.  But tape
> recorders just aren't that precise, unless every machine along the line
> from the original recording through the radio station has been carefully
> calibrated.

Sorry, but professional tape decks of any recent vintage *are* that
precise.  It would be completely unacceptable for a multitrack to
change speed: it would make overdubs impossible since nothing could
be kept in tune.  I have yet to see a reel-to-reel tape deck that
doesn't use a microcontroller-driven PLL or FM capstan (thus making
the speed absolutely constant) in a studio.  Digital tape machines, of
course, cannot have speed problems.

> I once worked in a radio station where we had the programming pre-recorded
> at another studio in 3-hour segments on big reels.  At the end of 3 hours
> the tapes could easily be +/- 5 minutes off.  Cassettes are much worse.

Cassette decks are a royal pain, and many radio stations have
positively antique gear.  But how many stations get music on cassette
or even reel-to-reel tapes?  Virtually everything comes in on LP and
CD.  CDs don't change speed, and most radio stations use the Technics
SL-1200/SL-1500 turntables, which are quartz locked.

cjs
--
curt@cynic.uucp	        | all systems in the network is not known anywhere."
curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca |    --Berkeley Mail Reference Manual (Kurt Schoens)

davisonj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (John M Davison) (03/25/91)

In article <3137@esquire.dpw.com> weigel@DPW.COM (William Weigel) writes:

>     The previous post asked whether a pure sine wave Bb sounds different
>from a pure sine wave A.  David Burge, the perfect pitch teacher, claims
>that the tone "colors" are apparent even with pure sine waves, and that
>perfect pitch is completely independent of timbre.  My own ear has not
>progressed to the stage of being able to express an opinion as to whether
>this is true or not.

	I am afflicted with perfect pitch, and I can say that it is
true that one needs no timbral cues to determine frequency (as long as
the sound is pitched to begin with).  Identifying pitches of sine
waves is no problem.

	I don't know if this entirely applies to David Burge, but
anyone who claims that there is a fundamental correlation between
colors and pitch classes is full of shit, and that's all there is to
it.

please direct replies to /dev/null

-davisonj@ecn.purdue.edu

ted@dgbt.doc.ca (Ted Grusec) (03/25/91)

Generally, everyone seems to assume that perfect pitch and musical
ability are highly related - in other words, that someone with perfect
pitch is also high in other aspects of musical talent (although, of
course, the absence of perfect pitch is not related to low talent).
Consider, however, that the question of perfect pitch would rarely
come up in a non-musical context, so that most people who are
discovered to have perfect pitch are involved in music.

I am a psychologist doing music and audio research and one of the
tools I have been using are the Seashore tests of musical talent. I
use heterogenous groups of people in my research and one of the things
that has come up is that there are people who have perfect pitch but
who are not at all musically talented or inclined. Such people would
not normally be revealed except in the kind of research I am doing.

The point is that perfect pitch is not coincident with high musical
ability at all. Its presence is, arguably, useful to musicians, but,
in my present view, and in the light of individuals that I have
studied, it is not at all to be equated with musical ability.

The Sloboda reference is a good one. The conclusion of that author, as
I recall, is that musical ability can best be considered a matter of a
number of different aptitudes coming together in a single mind. Thus,
pitch, time, timbre, loudness, rhythm, musical memory etc., when they
all come together as perceptual/cognitive strengths, constitute a
highly musical mind. But any one or several of these may exist in high
strength without the others, and in those cases, musical inclination
may be weaker.

I will end with an anecdote. As a graduate student I was doing some
research in which I was exposing subjects to sine wave tones of the
same pitch. Day after day, week after week, I, as experimenter, heard
these tones over and over and over. After a week or so of this, I
could walk into the lab and see how close I was to humming the tones
in question before turning the apparatus on. I became quite perfect at
this and was able to impress visitors to the lab with my "perfect
pitch". I do not have perfect pitch but had clearly acquired something
analogous without conscious effort. How restricted this was to the lab
situation I don't know. Nor did I then pursue this in other contexts
for its generality. But, clearly, learning effects can be quite
striking.

jfjr@mbunix.mitre.org (Freedman) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar25.140024.14520@en.ecn.purdue.edu> davisonj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (John M Davison) writes:
>In article <3137@esquire.dpw.com> weigel@DPW.COM (William Weigel) writes:
>>
>>     The previous post asked whether a pure sine wave Bb sounds different
>>from a pure sine wave A.  David Burge, the perfect pitch teacher, claims
>>that the tone "colors" are apparent even with pure sine waves, and that

>	I don't know if this entirely applies to David Burge, but
>anyone who claims that there is a fundamental correlation between
>colors and pitch classes is full of shit, and that's all there is to
>it.
>
>please direct replies to /dev/null
>
>-davisonj@ecn.purdue.edu

   This is a rather strong statement. There is a "type"
of pitch recognition that many instrumentalists develop,
particularly those who do a lot of "transcription" on
their instruments(jazz improvisors for instance).
In this case tone color/timbre is used - although
probably not consciously. For examples guitarist
can recognize what string perhaps even what fret
and deduce from there the pitch being played. I
have known players who, upon hearing a pitch,
imagine that pitch on their instrument and then
deduce that pitch.

                            Jerry Freedman,Jr

davisonj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (John M Davison) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar25.171913.2997@linus.mitre.org> jfjr@mbunix.mitre.org (Freedman) writes:
>In article <1991Mar25.140024.14520@en.ecn.purdue.edu> davisonj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (John M Davison) writes:
> [quoting myself]
>>	I don't know if this entirely applies to David Burge, but
>>anyone who claims that there is a fundamental correlation between
>>colors and pitch classes is full of shit, and that's all there is to
>>it.

>   This is a rather strong statement. There is a "type"
>of pitch recognition that many instrumentalists develop,
>particularly those who do a lot of "transcription" on
>their instruments(jazz improvisors for instance).
>In this case tone color/timbre is used - although
>probably not consciously. For examples guitarist
>can recognize what string perhaps even what fret
>and deduce from there the pitch being played. I
>have known players who, upon hearing a pitch,
>imagine that pitch on their instrument and then
>deduce that pitch.

	I am not talking about tone color here; otherwise I would
have said timbre.  Obviously someone can use timbral cues to
determine the note being played on a particular instrument.  I was
talking about visual color.

OK, this is _really_ my last followup.

-davisonj@en.purdue.edu

jsc@kingtut.MIT.EDU (Jin S Choi) (03/26/91)

In article <18972@milton.u.washington.edu>, allyn@milton.u.washington.edu (Allyn Weaks) writes:

|> A question: long ago back in high school when I was singing regularly, I could
|> always very precisely sing a D, since so many of our pieces happened to start
|> there.  But it wasn't so much the pitch I was remembering, as the kinesthetic
|> memory of the throat muscles knowing what to do.  When doing your pitch
|> exercises, do you tend to sing or hum along, even subvocally?  And could that
|> be an aid?  Is your pitch recognition as good for notes well outside of your
|> singing range as for notes within it?

I think kinesthetic memory definitely helps a lot with pitch memory. As I've said,
for me perfect pitch started with my having to think about where on the
fingerboard I would play a note that I heard. The same would be true for singers,
except that I imagine they have a much rougher time of it since they don't have
such an absolute frame of reference. I find that I have a much harder time
recognizing notes much below G below middle C, the lowest note on the violin. I
have no such problem with the upper ranges, so experience with notes in a certain
range would seem to help pitch recognition. For low notes, I usually mentally
transpose up as many octaves as I need to to get into my range. I also can't
mentally 'hear' the bass clef on sight as I can the treble, a real handicap for
my theory class.

--
Jin Choi
jsc@athena.mit.edu

jsc@kingtut.MIT.EDU (Jin S Choi) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar25.171913.2997@linus.mitre.org>, jfjr@mbunix.mitre.org (Freedman) writes:

|> >	I don't know if this entirely applies to David Burge, but
|> >anyone who claims that there is a fundamental correlation between
|> >colors and pitch classes is full of shit, and that's all there is to
|> >it.
|> >
|> >please direct replies to /dev/null
|> >
|> >-davisonj@ecn.purdue.edu
|>

|>    This is a rather strong statement. There is a "type"
|> of pitch recognition that many instrumentalists develop,
|> particularly those who do a lot of "transcription" on
|> their instruments(jazz improvisors for instance).
|> In this case tone color/timbre is used - although
|> probably not consciously. For examples guitarist
|> can recognize what string perhaps even what fret
|> and deduce from there the pitch being played. I
|> have known players who, upon hearing a pitch,
|> imagine that pitch on their instrument and then
|> deduce that pitch.
|>

|>                             Jerry Freedman,Jr

I don't think that's quite what Davison was talking about. I read 'colors'
as in red, orange, yellow, green, blue, that kind of thing, and to that I
agree. I certainly don't think of D minor as a brown key or anything like
that. You're talking more about color as in timbre, to which I also agree.
The string a note's played on makes a real difference. I'm not sure if there's
an analogue to this in the world of winds.

--
Jin Choi
jsc@athena.mit.edu

wikla@cs.Helsinki.FI (Arto Wikla) (03/26/91)

In <1991Mar25.190633.11351@en.ecn.purdue.edu>
davisonj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (John M Davison) writes:

>	I am not talking about tone color here; otherwise I would
>have said timbre.  Obviously someone can use timbral cues to
>determine the note being played on a particular instrument.  I was
>talking about visual color.

One friend of mine, who has perfect pitch, has very clear connection
between a key and visual colour. If I remember right, F-major was green,
and E-major blue. But what was most interesting was that when she
plyed F-major piece in baroque tuning (so. half tone lower, a'=415), the
key was still green, not blue according to the absolute pitch!
She was playing violin, so I suppose the intonation of notes would
have been different if she would think of playing in (modern) E-major.

Arto Wikla, Helsinki, Finland

icking@gmdzi.gmd.de (Werner Icking) (03/27/91)

wikla@cs.Helsinki.FI (Arto Wikla) writes:

>One friend of mine, who has perfect pitch, has very clear connection
>between a key and visual colour. If I remember right, F-major was green,
>and E-major blue. But what was most interesting was that when she
>plyed F-major piece in baroque tuning (so. half tone lower, a'=415), the
>key was still green, not blue according to the absolute pitch!
>She was playing violin, so I suppose the intonation of notes would
>have been different if she would think of playing in (modern) E-major.

Not depending of the absolute tuning of a violin  it is a big difference
if you play something in different keys. If you play a piece in E-major
open strings like the A-string "add" to the sound. Especially for G-, D-,
A- and E-major the open strings are subdominat (sp?) or dominant. This
is not true for other keys like e.g. F-major or Es-major.

May be that this is a small explanation for the phenomeon.

Werner
--
Werner Icking          icking@gmdzi.gmd.de          (+49 2241) 14-2443
Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung mbH (GMD)

kathy@Think.COM (Kathy Viksne) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.111429.27568@athena.mit.edu>, jsc@kingtut.MIT.EDU
(Jin S Choi) writes:

|> I think kinesthetic memory definitely helps a lot with pitch memory.
As I've said,
|> for me perfect pitch started with my having to think about where on
the
|> fingerboard I would play a note that I heard. The same would be true
for singers,
|> except that I imagine they have a much rougher time of it since they
don't have
|> such an absolute frame of reference...

I have found that these "references" have little to do with my perfect
pitch.
I sing regularly, as well as play violin, piano and other instruments,
but I
have known that I have perfect pitch since I was at least three years
old, before
I knew how to play these instruments.

I know of several people who use these references, and thus claim that
they
have "learned" perfect pitch.  I personally don't consider this perfect
pitch,
but rather a memory device.  But then comes the arguement, what is
perfect
pitch in the first place?

The times I do use "subvocal" humming are generally when I'm trying to
single out a note from a cluster of notes or a phrase, to bring it out
in front of the rest of the notes.  I don't use my voice as a
reference,
but rather as a pointer in my mind, when the note is obscured by other
notes.

		==>>Kathy

ogata@leviathan.cs.umd.edu (Jefferson Ogata) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar24.122605.8262@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca> curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt J. Sampson) writes:
|> In article <27ec3160.9d3@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>
|> jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:
|>
|> > From the technical standpoint, it is VERY difficult to maintain the correct
|> > pitch of recordings that are made using tape, and especially cassettes.
|> > I doubt that any of these alleged pitch changes were intentional.  Now if
|> > the music was recorded all-digitally using Digital Audio Tape and CD's,
|> > then one could complain, since there is sufficient control.  But tape
|> > recorders just aren't that precise, unless every machine along the line
|> > from the original recording through the radio station has been carefully
|> > calibrated.
|>
|> Sorry, but professional tape decks of any recent vintage *are* that
|> precise.  It would be completely unacceptable for a multitrack to
|> change speed: it would make overdubs impossible since nothing could
|> be kept in tune.  I have yet to see a reel-to-reel tape deck that
|> doesn't use a microcontroller-driven PLL or FM capstan (thus making
|> the speed absolutely constant) in a studio.  Digital tape machines, of
|> course, cannot have speed problems.

The problem is not always the consistency of each individual tape deck.
If the deck always plays at the same speed, it doesn't matter when you
record and play back on that deck, since the playback speed is the
same as the recording speed. If you move over to another deck, though,
the playback speed may now be slightly different. As far as I know,
quality reel decks are well calibrated so this should never be a
problem. Many (most?) decks also have a pitch control that can be used
to adjust for inaccuracies in other decks' recording speeds. I use a
Tascam 1/4" 8-track reel deck all the time, and the tape speed is
extremely consistent. I've never heard any drift in the pitch on this
deck.
--
Jefferson Ogata        	        ogata@cs.umd.edu
University Of Maryland          Department of Computer Science

kathy@Think.COM (Kathy Viksne) (03/28/91)

quayster@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Tony Chung) writes:

|> >I would like to know what instruments those with perfect pitch
learned
|> >on.  The people I know who have developed this skill so far have
been
|> >piano players, violinists, and trumpeters.  I have yet to see a
drummer
|> >with perfect pitch; which indicates that some sense of pitch
training
|> >early on is important -- one does not emerge from the womb saying,
"that
|> >doctor's scissors cut at an Eb!"

My parents discovered I had perfect pitch when I was three, before I
knew anything about music.  I had sat down at a piano and plunked out
the melody (with a great amount of trial and error...) to "Puff the
Magic Dragon" in the key that it had been in on the radio.  No, at the
time I did not say,"This is in B-flat," as I had no clue about key
signatures.  My only concern was that what I was playing was the correct
melody the way I heard it, which happened to be in B-flat, as opposed to
any other key.  Any other key, to me, would have been wrong.

From this, I conclude that, at least in my case, I did not "develop"
perfect pitch.  I have had it all along.  People who claim that they
have "developed" the "skill" of perfect pitch generally have one or two
notes that they can reference everything else off of.  This happens with
instrumentalists in bands and orchestras who constantly are given the
tuning note, and they become conditioned to hear that note.  I
personally do not consider that perfect pitch, but I don't know what it
*would* be called, since I don't know what "causes" perfect pitch to
begin with, nor how it works.  I just know I have it.

I have encountered non-musicians whom I suspect have perfect pitch.
When discussing popular songs with them and they sing little exerpts
from the songs, they actually sing them in the key that they are in on
the radio, even when they haven't heard the song for a long time.

|> 	My pitch sense is mental pitch memory. I can remember the F I sang
|> this morning, and I can remember the A-flat I sang every morning when
I was
|> in high school. No humming, or thinking of colors, or any of that
garbage.

Here, here!!

		==>>Kathy

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar26.121135@Think.COM> kathy@Think.COM (Kathy Viksne) writes:

>I have found that these "references" have little to do with my perfect
>pitch.  I sing regularly, as well as play violin, piano and other
>instruments, but I have known that I have perfect pitch since I was at
>least three years old, before I knew how to play these instruments.

>I know of several people who use these references, and thus claim that
>they have "learned" perfect pitch.  I personally don't consider this
>perfect pitch, but rather a memory device.  But then comes the
>arguement, what is perfect pitch in the first place?

	Exactly. What's the difference between those of us who acquired the
skill back when our brains were still young, and those who acquire pitch
memory at a later age? I think it's merely a matter of degree, and that the
same phenomenon is operative. Those of us who have had perfect pitch all our
lives generally have better-developed pitch sense because we've had a lot
more practice at it, and because we learned it before there was a lot of
other stuff cluttering up our minds. Kind of like acquiring languages.

	I have trouble with the concept of using physiological cues in
aiding pitch sense, though. It seems that, except maybe for highly trained
voices, this would be a very crude indicator, although I have to admit
that as I sit here imagining the difference between singing g and singing
a flat, there is a perceptible difference in the feeling in my throat.

	Minor nitpick - now that I've been participating in this thread for
a week or so, what does it have to do with *computer* music?

--
Jeff Carroll
carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

"If it sucks, it sucks because *I* wrote it." - Whoopi Goldberg

curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt J. Sampson) (03/28/91)

In article <32083@mimsy.umd.edu>
ogata@leviathan.cs.umd.edu (Jefferson Ogata) writes:

> The problem is not always the consistency of each individual tape deck.
> If the deck always plays at the same speed, it doesn't matter when you
> record and play back on that deck, since the playback speed is the
> same as the recording speed. If you move over to another deck, though,
> the playback speed may now be slightly different.

It depends on the vintage of your deck.  All modern studio decks
use a crystal locked capstan.  My Tascam 48, which is a typical
low-end studio deck, is within +/-0.2% of 15 ips when in proper
working order.  That means that an A 440 can vary (worst case) from
439.12 Hz to 440.88 Hz between machines.  Not a terribly large
difference.

Machines that were consistent with themselves but not others would
not be acceptable because many people do the drum tracks in a studio
with an appropriate room and then do overdubs in a smaller, cheaper
studio.

cjs
--

galetti@uservx.afwl.af.mil (03/28/91)

In article <32083@mimsy.umd.edu>, ogata@leviathan.cs.umd.edu (Jefferson Ogata) writes:
> In article <1991Mar24.122605.8262@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca> curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt J. Sampson) writes:

> |> Sorry, but professional tape decks of any recent vintage *are* that
> |> precise.  It would be completely unacceptable for a multitrack to
> |> change speed: it would make overdubs impossible since nothing could
> |> be kept in tune.  I have yet to see a reel-to-reel tape deck that
> |> doesn't use a microcontroller-driven PLL or FM capstan (thus making
> |> the speed absolutely constant) in a studio.  Digital tape machines, of
> |> course, cannot have speed problems.
>
> The problem is not always the consistency of each individual tape deck.
> If the deck always plays at the same speed, it doesn't matter when you
> record and play back on that deck, since the playback speed is the
> same as the recording speed. If you move over to another deck, though,
> the playback speed may now be slightly different. As far as I know,
> quality reel decks are well calibrated so this should never be a
> problem. Many (most?) decks also have a pitch control that can be used
> to adjust for inaccuracies in other decks' recording speeds. I use a
> Tascam 1/4" 8-track reel deck all the time, and the tape speed is
> extremely consistent. I've never heard any drift in the pitch on this
> deck.

I think we're missing the point here.  For the most part, tape players are
pretty good as far as speed goes.  It's the TAPE that gets stretched and
consequently plays slower.

> --
> Jefferson Ogata        	        ogata@cs.umd.edu
> University Of Maryland          Department of Computer Science
 /   Ralph Galetti                  Internet:   galetti@uservx.afwl.af.mil   \
|    PL/LITT                        Interests:  computers, music, computers   |
|    Kirtland AFB, NM 87117-6008                and music, golf, sleep.       |
 \______________"I hate cliches--I avoid them like the plague"_______________/

In article <1991Mar27.122408@Think.COM>, kathy@Think.COM (Kathy Viksne) writes:

> |> 	My pitch sense is mental pitch memory. I can remember the F I sang
> |> this morning, and I can remember the A-flat I sang every morning when
> I was
> |> in high school. No humming, or thinking of colors, or any of that
> garbage.
>
> Here, here!!

Are you just trying to avoid a pun here, Kathy, or do you really mean
"Hear hear!!" :-)

In article <3756@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP>, carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) writes:

> 	Minor nitpick - now that I've been participating in this thread for
> a week or so, what does it have to do with *computer* music?

Minor augmented nitpick - A lot of us on the net don't have access to any
other music-related newsgroup.  For example, here where I work we have access
to almost anything associated with computers, but "rec.music" or whatever it's
called isn't available.

> --
> Jeff Carroll
> carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com
>
> "If it sucks, it sucks because *I* wrote it." - Whoopi Goldberg
 /   Ralph Galetti                  Internet:   galetti@uservx.afwl.af.mil   \
|    PL/LITT                        Interests:  computers, music, computers   |
|    Kirtland AFB, NM 87117-6008                and music, golf, sleep.       |
 \______________"I hate cliches--I avoid them like the plague"_______________/

Gord_Wait@mindlink.UUCP (Gord Wait) (04/01/91)

I don't beleive humans have absolute color sense.
try this at home: Put on some heavily colored orange sunglasses, and notice
how the world is more orange. Keep them on for an hour, and now notice how the
world looks normal. Now take off the sunglasses, and notice how the world looks
too blue. In a short while, everything looks normal again. It seems to me that
the color sense is relational, just like intervals between different notes.
Hmmm.....
gord wait

--
Gord Wait
Member of Technical Staff

rapo@cs.cornell.edu (Andy Rapo) (04/02/91)

Alright,

	I agree that plenty has been said on this subject so far, and that it has little to do with Computer Music, but its a pretty interesting subject.  I've enjoyed thinking about this in the past especially in the context of trying to understand how the brain works.

	It seems clear - from our experience with visual color - that recognizing frequencies according to an absolute scale is something the brain can do.  When we see green, we see it regardless of the "relative green" of surrounding colors.  It is interesting, therefore, that many (if not most) people don't have an appreciation for the absolute frequency of sound waves.  There are a lot of reasons that could be suggested to explain this.  I like these two:

	(1) We humans have a built-in musical instrument - our voices - which serves as the basis for our understanding of sound.  Unlike our eyes, our voices are greatly affected by physical changes that occur throughout our development.  I could sing very high notes when I was a boy, and now I'm limited to the very low-end.  Consequently my basis for understanding sound has not been 'absolute' itself.
	Naturally I wasn't going to stop singing Puff the Magic Dragon just because I couldn't hit the high notes anymore - I just transposed the song.  In my experience, musical notes don't have the same kind of constancy as visual colors because it has been more advantageous to deal with them in a realtive manner - relative to my changing voice.

	(2) My piano teacher once related to me a story about a particular concert to which she was invited to play the piano.  She was well rehearsed, but when she sat down to try out the concert grand intended for the performace she discovered that it was tuned down a half step.  Unbelievably, she was unable to play her concerto because it just didn't 'sound' like it was supposed to.  The notes were mapped incorrectly to the keyboard.  I guess this would be like trying to type on a DVORAK keyboard when you're u

sed to using a QWERTY.  Fortunately she was a skilled enough musician to transpose the piece in time for the concert (I assume she did this in her head).
	The point here would be that perfect pitch may be useful in a lot of cases, but it certainly imposes some restrictions on one's ability to work within an inherently variant spectrum of sound.

	Light is not affected much by things like the doplar effect and teperature changes.  Sound is.  I would suggest that the advantages of being oblivious to absolute sound frequencies (assuming one has good relative pitch) are at least as rewarding as having the ability to pull a C# out of a hat.  Though I'd love to be wearing that hat sometimes.

Andy Rapo
Cornell University
Computer Science

ogata@leviathan.cs.umd.edu (Jefferson Ogata) (04/02/91)

I'd include the previous article, but it is horribly formatted.

As to why humans should have absolute color sense but not absolute
pitch sense, first of all, the methods of detection are wildly
different, so there's really no reason to expect them to be
comparable.

But also the range of the senses is very different. Color is
detected over a frequency range of less than an octave, and
people only identify a small number of colors. Pitch extends
over 8-10 octaves, and there are twelve pitches per octave
to identify, for people who are tuned to 12-tone scales. If
we could only hear one octave, perhaps we'd be able to
identify notes very accurately.
--

jerry@synopsys.com (Jerry Huth) (04/02/91)

>        It seems clear - from our experience with visual color - that
>recognizing frequencies according to an absolute scale is something
>the brain can do.  When we see green, we see it regardless of the
>"relative green" of surrounding colors.  It is interesting, therefore,

Unfortunately, you're wrong on this point.

Try this experiment:

Get a really good pair of Blue Blocking sunglasses.  Put them on.
At first, everything appears reddish.  After a minute, things look
normal again.  Then take the glasses off, and at first everything
appears blue.  After a minute, things look normal again.

This shows that our brains do not detect light waves
on an absolute basis.

rapo@cs.cornell.edu (Andy Rapo) (04/02/91)

The sunglasses arguments - for relative visual color detection are pretty good.  They make it clear that the eyes are susceptible to relative color levels.  But they also reveal something important about how we 'understand' color.

It is pretty amazing that our eyes can 'normalize' after having a certain band of light frequencies cut out.  It makes sense that screwing up th input would also srew up the interpretation.  However, in order for things to look 'normal' again, we have to have an unchanging idea of what normal is.

Our understanding of what 'green' is doesn't change when we put on sunglasses.  Our eyes depend on color relationships but our understanding of color doesn't change.

This does not seem to be true of sound - for most people.  My understanding of what a C# is is completely dependent on what I'm given to be a C.

Andy Rapo

P.S. - Hopefully this reply isn't formatted as 'horribly' as my first one.

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.145836.16301@cs.cornell.edu> rapo@cs.cornell.edu (Andy Rapo) writes:

>Our understanding of what 'green' is doesn't change when we put on
>sunglasses.  Our eyes depend on color relationships but our
>understanding of color doesn't change. This does not seem to be
>true of sound - for most people.  My understanding of what a C# is is
>completely dependent on what I'm given to be a C.

	This color/pitch analogy thing has been reduced to absurdity. The
reason why your "understanding of what a c# is is completely dependent on
what I'm given to be a C" is that your ear has not been sufficiently trained
to give you reliable pitch memory.

	IMHO there is no physiological difference here; the difference is
purely in social convention and environment. If we had installed horns of
different pitches rather than lights of different colors at traffic
intersections, everybody in our society would develop absolute pitch.

	And, BTW, your editor mucked up the format of that posting too.

--
Jeff Carroll
carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

"If it sucks, it sucks because *I wrote it*." - Whoopi Goldberg

yj05@mrcu (Steve Collier) (04/03/91)

kathy@Think.COM (Kathy Viksne) writes (and others have recently talked in
a similar vein):

>                                            People who claim that they
>have "developed" the "skill" of perfect pitch generally have one or two
>notes that they can reference everything else off of.  This happens with
>instrumentalists in bands and orchestras who constantly are given the
>tuning note, and they become conditioned to hear that note.  I
>personally do not consider that perfect pitch, but I don't know what it
>*would* be called, since I don't know what "causes" perfect pitch to
>begin with, nor how it works.  I just know I have it.

A recent textbook (Boff, Kaufman, Thomas (1986) Handbook of Perception and
Human Performance) refers to a number of old studies. I quote:

 "Some of the more comprehensive among the older studies were done by Bachem
 (1937, 1940, 1954). He examined a large number of people who claimed to have
 absolute pitch. ..he established three categories of people: (1) those with
 genuine absolute pitch, [presumably intends to mean hereditary] (2) those with
 acquired absolute pitch, and (3) those with imagined absolute pitch. People
 in the first category can make absolute pitch judgements quickly (within two
 seconds) and accurately..Those in the second category are slower.. and seem to
 use some learned reference such as a concert 'A'..or vocal chord position.
 Those in the third category show average errors of five to nine semitones,
 which  is close to random performance...

 "Prolonged training to recognize a certain tone proved not only to help
 subsequent recognition of that tone when presented in a larger context, but
 improved pitch identification across the board (Cuddy, 1968)...

 "Absolute pitch may not be exceptional, but rather may represent an extreme on
 a scale of musical ability. *It is not known whether all these phenomenological
 differences represent differences in physiology** [my emphasis], although there
 is some indication (Bachem, 1937) that absolute pitch requires an innate
 ability combined with proper exposure and training during a critical
 development period at an early age."

This last is hardly an up-to-date reference. Can anyone help? This is beginning
to sound like the interminable wrangle over nature vs. nurture in intelligence.

--
Steve Collier                    | Tel: +44 245 73331 x 3233
GEC-Marconi Research Centre      | Fax: +44 245 75244 Telex: 995016 GECRES G
GEC-Marconi Ltd, Great Baddow    | uucp: <world>!mcvax!ukc!gec-mrc!collier
Chelmsford,Essex. UK CM2 8HN     | Other: collier@uk.co.gec-mrc

mark@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (Mark R. Rubin 4-7794) (04/04/91)

Another $.02 Increment About Absolute vs. Relative Color Sense

o Back in the early '80s I attended a public talk at Caltech given by
  Dr. Edwin Land (sp?), inventor of the Polaroid camera. All of what
  follows is filtered through 10 years of a memory clouded by too
  many late night debugging sessions, but ...

o Most of the lecture was about color theory. A lot of it was work in
  progress, and he didn't have a tidy, all-encompassing conclusion to
  summarize with.

o The most striking demonstration he gave, however, concerned
  relative vs. absolute color sense. He had some slides that he had
  dubbed "Mondrians", after the painter. More like the early abstract
  Mondrain paintings (before the thin stripes with little color
  squares in them), they were overlapping rectangles of solid colors.
  Anybody who's written the following code to test out a graphic
  system:

	LOOP:
	x = random() ;
	y = random() ;
	width = random() ;
	height = random() ;
	color = random() ;
	rectangle(x, y, width, height, color) ;
	goto  LOOP ;

  knows what they looked like, but Land emphasized that the colors
  had _not_ been chosen randomly.

o To demonstrate, he pointed to a particular color rectangle in one
  of the slides, and asked the audience what color it was. Everyone
  said the obvious: "Green" (or some color -- the point is there was
  no uncertainty). Land then took a piece of cardboard with a small
  round hole, held it in the beam from the slide projector, and
  manipulated it until all that shone through was a small portion of
  the "green" rectangle.

o A gasp arose from the audience. The round spot of light on the
  screen was bright orange. (Again, the particular colors,
  green->orange, aren't clear in my memory, but they were that
  radically different. Not red->orange or the like.) It was as
  astonishing as any of the classical optical illusions (necker
  cubes, equal length line segments overlaid on perspective
  converging railroad tracks, etc.) Land removed and re-inserted the
  cardboard, and each time the color changed.

o He then aimed a sensor at the spot which displayed the red, green,
  and blue components of the light. (Three photocells with different
  colored filters on them.) Once again, he put the cardboard in and
  out, and the color changed back and forth. The red, green, blue
  readings didn't move.

o I don't know what all this proves, but I've been convinced ever
  since that color perception is based on visual environment. Note
  that this is different from the "take off your orange sunglasses
  and the world looks blue" phenomenon -- there was no adjustment
  period.

o BTW, all of these comments come from an amateur musician who's
  still trying to develop reliable _relative_ pitch, much less
  absolute. Any tips welcome.

Mark R. Rubin		mark@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov

roger@grenada.island.COM (Roger Corman) (04/06/91)

>As to why humans should have absolute color sense but not absolute
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>pitch sense, first of all, the methods of detection are wildly
>different, so there's really no reason to expect them to be
>comparable.

Absolute color sense would, in fact, be much less common to have--
because it doesn't exist!  Color perception varies from individual
to individual and two people often will not even agree that two
colors are the same.  Our perception of color is very dependent on
surrounding colors and viewing conditions (there are easy demonstrations
of this if you check the literature on color science). The root of
the problem is that many different frequency spectrums appear as a single
color to our limited visual system.

By contrast, pitch is *very* straight forward and it is pretty easy to
get two musicians to agree that two pitches are the same (independent
of background noise, room acoustics, etc.)

I know that this isn't exactly the subject of this newsgroup, but I wanted
to set the record straight....

------------------------------
Roger Corman
Island Graphics
149 Stony Circle, Suite 200
Santa Rosa, CA 95401
(707)523-4465
{uunet,sun,ucbcad!island!roger}

class Disclaimer
{
private:
    ObscureStuff employerOpinions;
public:
    UsefulAdvice myOpinions[MAXINT];
};

ads@aber-cs.UUCP (Adrian Shaw) (04/08/91)

In article <886@mrcu> yj05@uk.co.gec-mrc (Steve Collier) writes:

>A recent textbook (Boff, Kaufman, Thomas (1986) Handbook of Perception and
>Human Performance) refers to a number of old studies. I quote:
>
> "Some of the more comprehensive among the older studies were done by Bachem
> (1937, 1940, 1954). He examined a large number of people who claimed to have
> absolute pitch. ..he established three categories of people: (1) those with
> genuine absolute pitch, [presumably intends to mean hereditary] (2) those with
> acquired absolute pitch, and (3) those with imagined absolute pitch. People
> in the first category can make absolute pitch judgements quickly (within two
> seconds) and accurately..Those in the second category are slower.. and seem to
> use some learned reference such as a concert 'A'..or vocal chord position.
> Those in the third category show average errors of five to nine semitones,
> which  is close to random performance...

This is interesting. I definitely come under category (1) (I instantly
know what the note is) _provided the instrument it is played on is a piano_.
Sometimes I will immediately know the note on other instruments, but if
I don't recognise it immediately, I can only guess and will not be confident
about being right. When I recognise a note immediately, I have no doubt about
it.

Needless to say, my main instrument is the piano, which I started playing
at the age of six. I think I have always had this ability. I can remember
thinking in my early days of playing the piano what a strange sound the note
G was!

In recent years I have done a lot of singing, and can now pitch some notes
with my voice. On a good day I can do it with confidence, but more often
I find myself trying to hear the note on the piano in my head and humming
that - which usually works!

I too have difficulty in playing a piece on a piano which is tuned down
a semitone. It is very offputting.

What kind of perfect pitch does this count as? How common is this
instrument-specific kind of perfect pitch?

Adrian--
Adrian Shaw          | Grwp Ymchwil DA a Roboteg | AI & Robotics Research Group
ads@cs.aber.ac.uk    | Adran Cyfrifiadureg       | Computer Science Department
UK:ads@uk.ac.aber.cs | Coleg Prifysgol Cymru     | University College of Wales
Ffon: +44 970 622450 | Aberystwyth, Dyfed, Cymru | Aberystwyth, Dyfed, Wales

bgw@genrad.com (Bruce G. Wilhelm) (04/10/91)

	I used "rn" for the first time in my life today and I can't believe
all of the talk about Perfect Pitch.  I don't feel so alone anymore.  I am
mostly a keyboardist and have had very acute PP since I can remember.  My
father has PP as well, but my musically-inclined sister does not.  I was
surprised to hear the story about one guy whose father's PP has slipped flat
because my dad's has too!

	When I was a boy chorister, I had severe problems transposing a hymn
in real time, more extremely when I was singing Alto than Soprano.  I hate
seeing one note and having to sing another.

	I could never play a tranposing instrument (clarinet, trumpet, F-horn,
sax, ...) that had to play one note and sound another.  That would drive me
crazy!

	One of my old dorm-mates used to have a tape deck that would play a
half-tone high.  It was so painful for me to listen to familiar songs, I often
requested he turn it off.  It is often better for me to listen to something
a half-tone off rather than a quarter-tone, though, because I get confused as
where to round each note to.  I translate every note in every piece of music I
hear to its absolute pitch, so when things are a half-tone off, at least they
translate to a pitch with a familiar name (Ex: C#) even though it's the wrong
one.

	My walkman at work also plays slightly fast.  I have to listen to the
radio a lot so the batteries can wear down enough that I can listen to a tape
at "correct" speed.  I found this out because I didn't believe that Deep Purple
really played all of their songs in F and Bb minors.  Even so, as I listen, I
have developed fingerings in my head to all bass lines and keyboards a
half-step up for every note on the album.  Heaven help me when I buy the CD.

	I had a lot of problems reading Alto clef when I took up viola.  I'm
not sure if that is related to PP.

	One way I can test my PP sometimes is with my DX7.  I have somebody
adjust the tuning on the instrument while I'm not looking.  Then I use the
arrow keys with my eyes closed to see how close I can come to 0.

	My ex-aunt claimed she developed PP by memorizing the lowest note in
her vocal range and translating from there.  She passed my test.

	My old violin teacher could not name a piano-struck key if his life
depended on it, but he could tune the orchestra day in and day out by singing
a perfect A out of the clear blue.

	It's nice to be able to get some of these things off my chest.  Nobody
ever understands what it's like.  However, I wouldn't trade my PP in for
anything.

fredg@marob.uucp (Fred Goldrich) (04/10/91)

In article <2398@aber-cs.UUCP> ads@cs.aber.ac.uk (Adrian Shaw) writes:

>This is interesting. I definitely come under category (1) (I instantly
>know what the note is) _provided the instrument it is played on is a piano_.
>Sometimes I will immediately know the note on other instruments, but if
>I don't recognise it immediately, I can only guess and will not be confident
>about being right. When I recognise a note immediately, I have no doubt about
>it.

	Interesting indeed.  I do _not_ have absolute pitch; but, very occa-
sionally, I will hear an unfamiliar piece of music and will feel confident
that I know what key it's in; fewerwhen I check, I am always right.  However,
I would say this has happened less than a dozen times in my life.

	You know, Maurice Abravanel is fond of talking about how one of the
obstacles to musical interpretation is overintellectualization, and how this
fault is practically unavoidable because the evolutionary development of
the brain has favored rational thought over the preservation of instinct.  I
bring this up because my experience with perfect pitch leaves me wondering
whether it is an ability that lies buried "in there" (pointing inward), to
which I only occasionally have access.

	Any thoughts?
--
	Fred Goldrich
	{att,philabs,rutgers,cmcl2}!phri!marob!maestro!fred

em@dce.ie (Eamonn McManus) (04/12/91)

In "Am I Too Loud?", the accompanist Gerald Moore describes how he had
perfect pitch, then lost it more or less as an act of will, because it
got in the way when he had to play in a different key and the like.

bgw@genrad.com (Bruce G. Wilhelm) writes:
>	My ex-aunt claimed she developed PP by memorizing the lowest note in
>her vocal range and translating from there.  She passed my test.

I don't have PP (though I can sometimes come up with a reference note),
so I tend to use external standards when I need to be able to identify
pitches.  For years I carried a bicycle clip in my coat pocket that
could be used both for keeping my trousers out of the bicycle chain and
for giving me a reliable B-natural.  Nowadays I use my digital watch
which produces a little beep when you push one of its buttons.
Coincidentally that is B-natural too.

I wouldn't like to try using the vocal range method, because my lowest
note varies by about a fourth depending on all sorts of factors,
including how long I have been singing and how much I had to drink the
night before.

,
Eamonn

arra@inmet.inmet.com (04/13/91)

> 	My ex-aunt claimed she developed PP by memorizing the lowest note in
> her vocal range and translating from there.  She passed my test.

Several decades (!) ago, when I was a kid, I tried this to see if I could
get a "cheap" PP. (What can I say, I was lazy!)

I wouldn't have passed some of the strict tests. My "lowest pitch" varied daily
by at least 1/2 note. I never tried any "drill" method to learn PP, since
I couldn't see any real benefit, other than to impress myself or others.

I still think its a facinating subject which evokes alot of interesting
theories and experiences!