[comp.music] Roland Sound for IBM PS/2

jeb33880@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (What re you looking at?) (04/16/91)

During an IBM fair, a Roland sound system was connected to a PS/2.  Included
was the Roland MPU-IMC (the MIDI interface), the CM-32L (the sound module),
the Roland PC-100 MIDID Keyboard Controller, 2 Roland MA-12C Micro-Monitors,
and Ballade MIDI Software (by Dynaware).  For those of you who have any or all
of the above items, how are they?  How much exactly does just the MPU-IMC cost?
Was everything you have worth the money?  I currently only have an Adlib Music
card, and I'm pretty disappointed in it.  Does anyone have any other suggestions
on music hardware for IBMs or IBM PS/2s?  Any comments would be greatly
appreciated.

                                            - Jeff Beckham

_____ _ __________________________ ____________________________________________
     | |          _____           \
     | |  _____  |  ___|  _____   /             J     e     f     f
  _  | | |  ___| | |__   |  ___|  \    B     e     c     k     h     a     m
 |_____| |  __|  | |     |  __|   \          jeb33880@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
_________|_____|_________|_|______\____________________________________________
--
_____ _ __________________________ ____________________________________________
     | |          _____           \
     | |  _____  |  ___|  _____   /             J     e     f     f
  _  | | |  ___| | |__   |  ___|  \    B     e     c     k     h     a     m

geo@george.austin.ibm.com (George Noren) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr16.005715.21232@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
jeb33880@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> During an IBM fair, a Roland sound system was connected to a PS/2.  Included
> was the Roland MPU-IMC (the MIDI interface), the CM-32L (the sound module),
> the Roland PC-100 MIDID Keyboard Controller, 2 Roland MA-12C Micro-Monitors,
> and Ballade MIDI Software (by Dynaware).  For those of you who have
any or all
> of the above items, how are they?  How much exactly does just the
MPU-IMC cost?

>                                             - Jeff Beckham

I am trying to find a midi setup for my IBM PS/2 55SX (a microchannel machine).
The MPU-IMC lists for about $345, which my local music shop will
discount to about $285.
This is the MicroChannel version of the card.  The AT-bus version lists
for about $175.

Can someone out there tell me if the price difference between the two
cards is worth it?
Is the IMC version a real "busmaster" card (takes the load off the CPU),
in which case it
should cost more, or is it just a matter of the smaller market of
microchannel people getting
to pay the R/D costs of moving the existing card to microchannel layout?

As far as I can tell, the Roland card is the ONLY microchannel midi card
on the market.
Does anyone know of any others?

Sincerely,
George Noren

My opinions, of course...
+-------------------------+--------------------------------+----------------+
|AWD Early Systems Support| AIX : geo@george.austin.ibm.com|PH: 512/838-4930|
|IBM Austin - Zip 2830    | VNET: GEORGE at AUSVMQ         |TL: 678-4930    |
+-------------------------+--------------------------------+----------------+

MDW1@NS.CC.LEHIGH.EDU (Michael D. Westlein) (04/17/91)

Jeff,

    I have the MPU-IMC and an MT-32 hooked up into my PS/2 55SX.  I had
a problem with the MPU standard IRQ (2), but after changing it to IRQ5
(a simple process) it has given me no problems.  The MT-32 works fine,
as does the Ballade software.  Ballade's problem is that it is
MT-32-dependant, meaning it is limited in terms of system expansion.  I
find Cakewalk 3.0 and Trax 2.0 to be good entry-level stuff, if that is
what you're looking for.
  \

    Hope I was of some help.  Any questions, email
                 mdw1@ns.cc.lehigh.edu

                                           Mike Westlein