[comp.music] Books on Music Notation

EDWARD.STAUFF@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Edward L. Stauff) (04/25/91)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for recommendations for
books on music notation.  Here is a summary of the responses I have
received to date.

Total number of responses: 6

Read, Gardner "Music Notation : A Manual of Modern Practice", 2nd ed.
London : Gollancz, 1974; 3rd ed. 1971; ISBN 0-8008-5453-5.  $15 (paper)
from Taplinger.
     4 recommendations.
     "This is absolutely THE standard text book on the subject."
     "One of the best books available."

Stone, Kurt "Music Notation in the 20th Century : A Practical Guidebook",
1st ed. New York : W.W. Norton, 1980; ISBN 0-393-95053.
     3 recommendations.
     "This is THE book, as far as I'm concerned."

Heussenstamm, George "The Norton Manual of Music Notation", W.W. Norton &
Co.
     2 recommendations
     "A good introduction, but not on the level of Stone."

Ross, Ted "The Art of Music Engraving and Printing", Hansen Books 1970;
out of print.
     1 recommendation
     "The only known book on music typography as opposed to notation."

dtate@unix.cis.pitt.edu (David M Tate) (04/26/91)

In article <b4g20n.ew5@wang.com> EDWARD.STAUFF@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Edward L. Stauff) writes:

>Read, Gardner "Music Notation : A Manual of Modern Practice", 2nd ed.
>London : Gollancz, 1974; 3rd ed. 1971; ISBN 0-8008-5453-5.  $15 (paper)
>from Taplinger.

Is anyone out there familiar with Mr. Read's compositions?  I had the
opportunity to sing in the World Premiere of his setting of the famous "love"
passage from Corinthians ("Though I speak with the tongues of men and angels,
and have not love, I am become as sounding brass..."), for chorus and organ.
After some initial antipathy, I found it to be an exciting and intricate work,
with marvelous subtlety and use of choral technique.  Unfortunately, this is
the only work of his I know.

(While I'm at it, another Cornell connection: any comments about the works
of Steven Stuckey, Cornell composer-in-residence?  I *loved* his "Drop, Drop
Slow Tear" setting/reinterpretation of the old Orlando Gibbons song... he's
also written some excellent anthems for church choir.)

--
       David M. Tate        | "Your telegram has been sent, sir.  You should be
  dtate@unix.cis.pitt.edu   |  receiving it in about an hour.  We've sent your