[comp.music] Finale

ccastmg@prism.gatech.EDU (Michael G. Goldsman) (09/09/90)

Does anyone know of a third party who publishes the manual for Finale??
or.... will Coda sell the manual alone??
or.... Can i buy the manual from someone out there??
or.... Must I forever walk upon the cruel face of the earth alone
       and manualless???

-Mike

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (09/09/90)

> ccastmg@prism.gatech.EDU writes:
>
> Person: Michael G. Goldsman
>
> Does anyone know of a third party who publishes the manual for Finale??
> or.... will Coda sell the manual alone??
> or.... Can i buy the manual from someone out there??
> or.... Must I forever walk upon the cruel face of the earth alone
>        and manualless???

Well, Mike, you should just be able to call Coda, give them your serial number,
and ask for a replacement for the manual you lost.

If you have a pirated copy of Finale, tough luck.  I suspect that many other
people out there share my dislike of people who steal software.  It's probably
not a good idea to advertise to thousands upon thousands of people that you've
stolen Finale.

        -cjs    ( Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP )

mshapiro@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Blind Man With A Vision) (09/12/90)

In article <13462@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastmg@prism.gatech.EDU (Michael G. Goldsman) writes:
>Does anyone know of a third party who publishes the manual for Finale??
>or.... will Coda sell the manual alone??
>or.... Can i buy the manual from someone out there??

>or.... Must I forever walk upon the cruel face of the earth alone
>       and manualless???

Only if you continue to acquire software through irregular channels...

>-Mike

|     Will the sun go out when God shuts his refridgerator door?    |
|      Mitch Shapiro   mshapiro@polyslo.calpoly.edu                 |

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (12/14/90)

I am VERY close to purchasing FINALE for the MAC.  From what I gather,
it is perhaps the best publishing program available on any platform.

My next project will require the printing of over 600 pages of music.

I'd like to know of ANY and ALL quirks and bugs and so on that
are causing people the greatest headaches.  For example, the other day,
a member of this group mentioned that his machine locked up once
the file he created reached 8 pages in length.  I tried getting word
about this from Coda but have had no luck getting "the right guy" to
answer for me.

Basically, what are FINALE's weaknesses, bugs, quirks etc...
Also, what would be a rough estimate on the time it takes to print
a page on a postscript printer? (I know there are many factors)...
Someone told me it may take as much as an hour to print one page!
Is that possible?

Since purchasing FINALE will also mean purchasing a MAC and laser printer
etc... (I will have to sell my Atari 4MB system with NOTATOR etc)...
I'd like to make sure i am not selling one headache and buying another.

Your response is very much appreciated.  Thank you.

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

BTW: any accelerators that don't get along with FINALE or midi?

briang@bari.Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Gordon) (12/14/90)

In article <12925@milton.u.washington.edu> ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:

>I am VERY close to purchasing FINALE for the MAC.  From what I gather,
>it is perhaps the best publishing program available on any platform.
>
>My next project will require the printing of over 600 pages of music.
>	[...]

Check with your sources on MusicProse (also from Coda) as an alternative.  If
the marketing hype I received is to be believed, MusicProse is the
manuscripting portions of Finale made more robust, stand-alone, and with added
enhancements -- making it BETTER than Finale for manuscripting.  There are lots
of things Finale does that MusicProse doesn't even try to do, by I have heard a
Code rep claim that it is substantially better than Finale at what it does do.
--
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
| Brian G. Gordon	briang@Sun.COM (if you trust exotic mailers)          |

mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) (12/14/90)

In article <12925@milton.u.washington.edu> ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:
>I am VERY close to purchasing FINALE for the MAC.  From what I gather,
>it is perhaps the best publishing program available on any platform.
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'd disagree strongly with that.
I would place both A-R Editions Sun/Unix-based system at the top,
followed quickly by SCORE version 3.0.

>My next project will require the printing of over 600 pages of music.

There's the start of your problems with FINALE.

> For example, the other day,
>a member of this group mentioned that his machine locked up once
>the file he created reached 8 pages in length.  I tried getting word
>about this from Coda but have had no luck getting "the right guy" to
>answer for me.

You're going to have some bug appear with any of the best
programs.  However, if you're unable to get adequate answers, that
should tell you something!  A demo of FINALE I attended in St.
Paul, I noted that although the input of simpler music had a
graceful, user-appealing feel, any level of genuine complexity
both baffled the demonstrator (musically; the "can you do this"
questions primarily coming from myself anbd Alice Parker) and
required slow, extensive editing.

>Since purchasing FINALE will also mean purchasing a MAC and laser printer
>etc... (I will have to sell my Atari 4MB system with NOTATOR etc)...

No! No! NO!  There is a new version of FINALE for IBM-clone PC/AT!
I'm having someone review it right now.
Several things to know so far: If your processor time is premium,
you should know that FINALE uses a *lot* of time on screen graphics
instead of skeleton-drawn but well-placed screen symbols.
You need a very fast machine to keep from losing patience, most
recommended is a full-blown 386, not an SX.  The SX is visibly
slower.  You will also need WINDOWS 3.0.  (We're about to try it
with WINDOWS 2.0).

By comparison, I'm currently running SCORE v. 3.0 on a Packard
Bell 286-AT at 12Mz.  SCORE does not waste screen-building time like
FINALE.  (The monitor is a Hercules monochrome, BTW)  WINDOWS is
not required.  I would quickly say that your msavings in hardware
costs (buying a 286 instead of a MAC or a full-blown 386) will
more than offset the several hundred dollars more you'll pay for
SCORE.  (And I think that the MAC FINALE costs more than the
IBM-clone FINALE.)

The results from SCORE are superior, in my book.  FINALE has never
satisfied me either with their slurs or horizontal symbol spacing.

As for LEARNING CURVE:  SCORE v.3.0 is light-years ahead of
their v.2.xx on that.  Their documentation, this time developed by
William Holab (music editor at G. Schirmer, NY) is excellent,
thoroughly reorganized, and written from the professional music
editor's perspective.  The improvements in the program (text
handling, pagination, array-handling and total capacity, vastly
extended symbol libraries, more improvements in slurring,
insertion of raw PostScript commands as items, etc.) also have
made what was almost a nightmare with v. 2.x and earlier a genuine
breeze with v.3.0.

>I'd like to make sure i am not selling one headache and buying another.

Be VERY careful.  While a program like SCORE will have an
APPARANTLY longer startup to the learning curve, you will probably
find you will save time especially in editing complex
scores and in handling large numbers of pages.

Even if you DO decide on FINALE, you will probably be better off
on the IBM-clone 386 DOS platform in the long run (especially if
you finally decide you DON'T like FINALE after all).

And last, but not least, do you have any idea how long 600 pages
is going to take you?  Sounds like a hymnbook to me!  If it IS a
hymnbook, then you will surely want to use SCORE, as I've seen to
examples of hymnbooks set with FINALE.  You will have severe
problems with spacing.  SCORE has a 'justify accounting for text'
capability which solves that nicely.  (One of the FINALE hymnbooks
betrayed some cut-and-paste markings where words were positioned
BY HAND.)

When I first used SCORE (back as far as version 1.xx) it was a
frustrating experience, though the results were still the best I'd
seen.  With v.3.0, the frustration level has disappeared down to
nearly nil.  The few bugs remaining are basically extreme
array-handling situations which cause floating point errors, or
the very rare case of absent, misaligned, or mis-valued symbols
that make justification throw up (easily fixed if you save the
file before justification).

Cheers,

--Mark

Mark Gresham  ARTSNET  Norcross, GA, USA
E-mail:       ...gatech!artsnet!mgresham
or:          artsnet!mgresham@gatech.edu

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (12/15/90)

In article <1076@artsnet.UUCP> mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) writes:
>In article <12925@milton.u.washington.edu> ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:
>>I am VERY close to purchasing FINALE for the MAC.  From what I gather,
>>it is perhaps the best publishing program available on any platform.
>                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I'd disagree strongly with that.
>I would place both A-R Editions Sun/Unix-based system at the top,
>followed quickly by SCORE version 3.0.

Please tell me more about A-R.. i think i may have called
that company about a year ago.. i got the impression that
while the final ouput of a score was truly engraving quality..
the input of the musical information was strictly ascii...
I am not personally interested in conceiving of music in a
non musical way.  After all.. i would like to use the progam
for composition as well..

>>My next project will require the printing of over 600 pages of music.
>
>There's the start of your problems with FINALE.

 WHY?  My 600+ pages will actually be a combination of score
   and text.  I am hoping that importing encapsulated Poscript Scores
     to a DTP program won't be too much of a hassle.. not all
     scores will need cutting and pasting.. but i definitely will
     need the capablility importing music into a document.  SInce
     ATARI's NOTATOR has a proprietary file format which doesn't
     allow anything greater than a screen dump (bit mapped) to a
    file, i am forced to get into a program such as FINALE..
    or perhaps SCORE.. as you intimate.

>You're going to have some bug appear with any of the best
>programs.  However, if you're unable to get adequate answers, that
>should tell you something!  A demo of FINALE I attended in St.
>Paul, I noted that although the input of simpler music had a
>graceful, user-appealing feel, any level of genuine complexity
>both baffled the demonstrator (musically; the "can you do this"
>questions primarily coming from myself anbd Alice Parker) and
>required slow, extensive editing.

I hope to be able to score contemporary music with whatever
 program i end up with.. i must have the power to design
 my own marking and symbols.. also need the flexibility in
  removal of bar lines etc...

>>Since purchasing FINALE will also mean purchasing a MAC and laser printer
>>etc... (I will have to sell my Atari 4MB system with NOTATOR etc)...
>
>No! No! NO!  There is a new version of FINALE for IBM-clone PC/AT!
>I'm having someone review it right now.
>Several things to know so far: If your processor time is premium,
>you should know that FINALE uses a *lot* of time on screen graphics
>instead of skeleton-drawn but well-placed screen symbols.
>You need a very fast machine to keep from losing patience, most
>recommended is a full-blown 386, not an SX.  The SX is visibly
>slower.  You will also need WINDOWS 3.0.  (We're about to try it
>with WINDOWS 2.0).

A Tech support person at Coda, "Kurby" ? , tells me that the
FINALE version for the 386 is a bit ahead of the update for the
Mac.. however, the mac will be updated shortly..
He did, however, suggest that running FINALE on the MAC was
a little more graceful than running it on MSDOS.

>By comparison, I'm currently running SCORE v. 3.0 on a Packard
>Bell 286-AT at 12Mz.  SCORE does not waste screen-building time like
>FINALE.  (The monitor is a Hercules monochrome, BTW)  WINDOWS is
>not required.  I would quickly say that your msavings in hardware
>costs (buying a 286 instead of a MAC or a full-blown 386) will
>more than offset the several hundred dollars more you'll pay for
>SCORE.  (And I think that the MAC FINALE costs more than the
>IBM-clone FINALE.)

I am giving serious thought to a 386 or a 486 ... i don't
care at for MSDOS.. but once i've got the program running..
it won't matter too much.. i do have to consider the
MSDOS file system.. i think it is a joke.. i much prefer
UNIX and MAC.. considering i have over 400+ files already
created that have to be converted to another format..
i want a flexiblility in filenaming etc.. MSDOS is a joke.
I do like the $99 price tag of Mark Williams' "Coherent" Unix
clone.. however!

I would never buy MAC's AUX

>The results from SCORE are superior, in my book.  FINALE has never
>satisfied me either with their slurs or horizontal symbol spacing.

Others have also told me that Score is definitely of publish
quality and that FINALE is not quite.  But i also understand
that SCORE is ascii based.. I don't think i would like
that.. though i must admit, i have never tried it..
doesn't seem like an intuitive way to deal with music.

Music scoring by nature is a very graphic oriented proceedure,
i think a program should be bent toward that emphasis.

>As for LEARNING CURVE:  SCORE v.3.0 is light-years ahead of
>their v.2.xx on that.  Their documentation, this time developed by
>William Holab (music editor at G. Schirmer, NY) is excellent,
>thoroughly reorganized, and written from the professional music
>editor's perspective.  The improvements in the program (text
>handling, pagination, array-handling and total capacity, vastly
>extended symbol libraries, more improvements in slurring,
>insertion of raw PostScript commands as items, etc.) also have
>made what was almost a nightmare with v. 2.x and earlier a genuine
>breeze with v.3.0.
>

>Be VERY careful.  While a program like SCORE will have an
>APPARANTLY longer startup to the learning curve, you will probably
>find you will save time especially in editing complex
>scores and in handling large numbers of pages.
>
>Even if you DO decide on FINALE, you will probably be better off
>on the IBM-clone 386 DOS platform in the long run (especially if
>you finally decide you DON'T like FINALE after all).

Actually, if i had my druthers, i'd be running a NeXTstation
right now.. unfortunately, no GREAT music program exists for it
yet..

>And last, but not least, do you have any idea how long 600 pages
>is going to take you?  Sounds like a hymnbook to me!  If it IS a

Not a hymn book.

It's   " YAMTM "  Yet another music teaching method etc..

>hymnbook, then you will surely want to use SCORE, as I've seen to
>examples of hymnbooks set with FINALE.  You will have severe

A student of mine printed out the score of his opera with
SCORE.. looked fantastic... he's also done a few of my
lesson handouts for me.. love the output.. again, never
have used the program... don't know how much the program
requires one to do non-musical things to get work done.

I think the philosophy behind these programs should be
to eliminate the non-musical processes.  Environments
should be easily customized.. someday, we may see some
"learning" built in to the programs...  wouldn't be
too hard to do, actually... there are all sorts of ways
a program can show the user how to be more efficient.. !

>Cheers,

. to you all too!

>--Mark

>Mark Gresham  ARTSNET  Norcross, GA, USA
>E-mail:       ...gatech!artsnet!mgresham
>or:          artsnet!mgresham@gatech.edu

-Kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

eaker@sunbelt.crd.ge.com (Charles E Eaker) (12/18/90)

In article <1076@artsnet.UUCP> mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) writes:
>I would place both A-R Editions Sun/Unix-based system at the top...
What is this system? Who distributes it? How much is it?

--
Chuck Eaker / P.O. Box 8, K-1 3C12 / Schenectady, NY 12301 USA
eaker@crd.ge.com        eaker@crdgw1.UUCP       (518) 387-5964

ted@dgbt.doc.ca (Ted Grusec DGBT/DBR) (12/19/90)

I have seen a lot of complaints about copy protection as I browse through
various music-related newsgroups.  I am somewhat surprised that few know about
a product that has been around for some time - namely the Option Board, by
Central Point Software in Washington. This is a board that goes inside the
computer. With its software, the board bypasses the normal disk controller so
that a literal copy can be made of any piece of software.  It works extremely
well, even on disks with the most vicious protection schemes.

Note that it does NOT break copy protection. What it does is let you make a
literal copy, i.e. a copy-protected copy. That is all you need for your own
protection. No more worries about protection codes being wiped off the hard
disk by accidents or crashes. Just reinstall from a "new" copied copy.  Cost
for board and software is less than $200, as I recall.

asaxon@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Allan Saxon) (01/18/91)

I've received many requests for the FINALE demo and intend to send it to all
of you who have asked. I had some problems getting the files to the
mainfraim, and was "just a little" involved with the Gulf problem, so there
might be a small delay...... I'll try sending it as one file and see if that
workes if not well try something else.
I'll make a list of all of you who are interested and try to keep the list
in mind for the Music Printer Plus demo that I have as well.... (why do I
get myself into this?....)
	talk to you all later

CONS.ELF@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE (Ake Eldberg) (04/25/91)

Hi out there. My office has been looking for a music editor
for our IBM 386SX and it looks like Finale is the thing to
buy. The price of this software here in Sweden is $1,600
which is *pretty expensive*. I have heard that you can get
software considerably cheaper in the USA. Can anyone give
me a current price quotation?
I would also appreciate it if you know of a retail place
to buy it, preferably in the Los Angeles/Orange County
area, since I'll probably be going there in august.

Someone mentioned CUbase and said that it is better than
Finale in some respects. I haven't seen this, and would
appreciate a comparative evaluation. What we want is a
programme that allows easy editing of music, mostly for
4-voice choirs but also for orchestra. Writing music by
playing it on a MIDI sythesizer is a nice feature. But
most important is an easy and fast editing system.
And it must be laser printer compatible.

Myself, I use a Macintosh and recently tried out Encore,
which is a similar application. But Finale looks better.

Ake Eldberg
cons.elf@aida.csd.uu.se

brownd@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu (David H. Brown) (04/25/91)

In article <12680156095017@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE> CONS.ELF@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE (Ake Eldberg) writes:
>Hi out there. My office has been looking for a music editor
>for our IBM 386SX and it looks like Finale is the thing to
>buy. The price of this software here in Sweden is $1,600
>which is *pretty expensive*. I have heard that you can get
>software considerably cheaper in the USA. Can anyone give
>me a current price quotation?

Sure. I've heard $1000. That's pretty expensive for us, too.

>I would also appreciate it if you know of a retail place
>to buy it, preferably in the Los Angeles/Orange County
>area, since I'll probably be going there in august.

Well, I'm in Minnesota, but so is Coda. Their telephone number
is (612) 854-1288 for customer support.

>Myself, I use a Macintosh and recently tried out Encore,
>which is a similar application. But Finale looks better.

I'd be inclined to agree, having seen only ads for Encore.
There's not much you can't do with Finale. And it includes
two type-1 PostScript fonts.

By the way, if you don't need to do almost anything, you might
consider MusicProse from Coda. It's a younger sibling of Finale.
It will handle 32 staves, and includes most of the features of
Finale-- including the fonts. It's current price is $399 (ac-
cording to Coda's newsletter).

>Ake Eldberg
>cons.elf@aida.csd.uu.se

St. Olaf may or may not have nothing    | M M | M M M | M M | M M M | M M |
to do with the things I talk about.     | M M | M M M | M M | M M M | M M |
                                        | M M | M M M | M M | M M M | M M |
Dave Brown: brownd@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
"I _like_ programming the DX-7!"        |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

spm2d@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Steven P. Miale) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.154524.1447@news.stolaf.edu> brownd@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu () writes:
>In article <12680156095017@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE> CONS.ELF@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE (Ake Eldberg) writes:
>>Hi out there. My office has been looking for a music editor
>>for our IBM 386SX and it looks like Finale is the thing to
>>buy. The price of this software here in Sweden is $1,600
>>which is *pretty expensive*. I have heard that you can get
>>software considerably cheaper in the USA. Can anyone give
>>me a current price quotation?
>
>Sure. I've heard $1000. That's pretty expensive for us, too.

Carlisle Computer (1-800-333-2566 sales, 1-505-526-7770 for info and tech
support) serlls Finale 2.0 for $599. They are located in New Mexico, USA.

tmiller@twisto.compaq.com (Thad Miller) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.184025.5750@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, spm2d@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Steven P. Miale) writes:
> In article <1991Apr25.154524.1447@news.stolaf.edu> brownd@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu () writes:
> >In article <12680156095017@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE> CONS.ELF@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE (Ake Eldberg) writes:
> >>Hi out there. My office has been looking for a music editor
> >>for our IBM 386SX and it looks like Finale is the thing to
> >>buy. The price of this software here in Sweden is $1,600
> >>which is *pretty expensive*. I have heard that you can get
> >>software considerably cheaper in the USA. Can anyone give
> >>me a current price quotation?
> >
> >Sure. I've heard $1000. That's pretty expensive for us, too.
>
> Carlisle Computer (1-800-333-2566 sales, 1-505-526-7770 for info and tech
> support) serlls Finale 2.0 for $599. They are located in New Mexico, USA.

Computers & Music  (800) 767-6161 is selling Finale 2.0 for IBM PC for $549.
This is the best price we have found, as we are preparing to buy.  If anyone
knows of an even lower prices, please let me know.

thanks,

CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC
CCC Thad Miller      (tmiller@twisto.compaq.com)      COMPAQ Computer Corp. CCC
CCC The opinions.....BLAH..BLAH....Employer....BLAH....BLAHG....Get Real!!! CCC
CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC CCC