[comp.music] Computer Fan!!!!

hayesel@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Erik Hayes) (04/20/91)

I have an IBM AT clone that has a very annoying fan noise to it.  Has anyone
had problems solved such as this???

Thanks
ERik

jrusso@sandstone.wpi.edu (Jeffrey K Russo) (04/21/91)

In article <10872@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> hayesel@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Erik Hayes) writes:

>I have an IBM AT clone that has a very annoying fan noise to it.  Has anyone
>had problems solved such as this???
>
>Thanks
>ERik

  I once had the same problem. Whenever I used my IBM XT comp. for more
than a few hours it would start sounding like a motorcycle with a busted
muffler.  What I did was took out the power supply,opened it up, took out
the fan, and thoroughly cleaned the dust off it.
  I should warn you though, on the cover of the power supply (at least on
mine) there is a bright yellow sticker saying something like "Warranty (sp?)
void if openned". For me it was worth the risk and I haven't had anymore
problems since (it's been roughly 6 months).

  Also, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT UNPLUGGED BEFORE YOU DO THIS!!
                              ---------

good luck,
Jeff

	       --------------------------------------
		Jeff Russo	(jrusso@wpi.wpi.edu)
		Worcester Polytechnic Institute
		Worcester, MA  01609
	       --------------------------------------

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the
 universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -- Calvin

mjs@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Marc Sabatella) (05/01/91)

>Haven't Atari Corp. dropped the ST?

Not unless something drastic has happened in the last three days.  Quite the
contrary, they recently introduced at least 4 relatively new models: the Mega
STE, the TT, and this month, the ST Notebook and the ST Pad.

>>The Amiga does not have any very powerful sequencer programs available for it.
>
>We Amigians do have a lot of powerful midisoftware. Dr.T's Software do support
>and port most of their programs to the Amiga.

Dr. T's is also on the ST, and it is about the third or fourth best package out
there for it.  KCS and Music-X remain the only serious Amiga sequencing
packages, and neither can hold a candle to Notator or Cubase, in many people's
opinion.

This, of course, is not an inherent limitation of the Amiga - someone should
be able to write a really powerful intergated sequencing / scoring package.
Multitasking several programs is nice, but is no substitute for seamless
integration of sequencing and notation.