[comp.music] Poly-800 receives everything on midi

tjt@cbnewsh.att.com (timothy.j.thompson) (05/02/91)

From article <1991May2.085901.23232@santra.uucp>, by s33996f@puukko.hut.fi (Antti 'Antti' Ketola):
> RCV CHANNEL parameter seems to affect only the transmit (OUT) channel on the
> Poly-800, not the receiving channel!
>    So, can that 'omni' mode be switched off? How? The Front Panel gives no
> signs of such feature (which,I think,is of fundamental kind) !

I never found a way on the front panel, but the Poly-800 (the original
one) *does* respond to the appropriate incoming MIDI message that will
turn off the Omni mode.  Annoying that you can't do it without an external
MIDI device to send the message, but at least it's possible.  It also (if
I recall correctly) gets reset on power-up.  ...Tim...tjt@twitch.att.com...

s33996f@puukko.hut.fi (Antti 'Antti' Ketola) (05/03/91)

    Thanks for comments & replies, William & Tim. I'll check it out.
If it works (it will) through the MIDI, it'll be easy to make to work:
I have an Amiga and the KCS sequencer program.
   / Antti L.S.Ketola,     /
  / s33996f@puukko.hut.fi /
 / Undergraduate Student /
/    of Electronics     /

buddington-paul@cs.yale.edu (Paul Buddington) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May2.133109.23693@cbnewsh.att.com> tjt@cbnewsh.att.com (timothy.j.thompson) writes:
>From article <1991May2.085901.23232@santra.uucp>, by s33996f@puukko.hut.fi (Antti 'Antti' Ketola):
>> RCV CHANNEL parameter seems to affect only the transmit (OUT) channel on the
>> Poly-800, not the receiving channel!
>>    So, can that 'omni' mode be switched off? How? The Front Panel gives no
>> signs of such feature (which,I think,is of fundamental kind) !
>
>I never found a way on the front panel, but the Poly-800 (the original
>one) *does* respond to the appropriate incoming MIDI message that will
>turn off the Omni mode.  Annoying that you can't do it without an external
>MIDI device to send the message, but at least it's possible.  It also (if
>I recall correctly) gets reset on power-up.  ...Tim...tjt@twitch.att.com...

Actually, it's pretty simple to turn off OMNI mode.  It's in the back of the
manual, I think, although it's not listed in the index.  If you hit the
"Prog/Para" button to put the display in paramater mode then select parameter
number 87 (Midi channel), OMNI mode is turned off.  It works for me - I have
the Poly-800 on channel 2, a DX7 on channel 1, and a drum machine on channel
3.  It is a pain to have to turn off OMNI mode every time I turn the synth
on, but at least it works.

Paul Buddington                                          Yale University
Buddington-Paul@CS.Yale.Edu or YaleCS.bitnet
QuickMail: Paul_Buddington.CIS@YCCATSMTP.YCC.Yale.Edu

tjt@cbnewsh.att.com (timothy.j.thompson) (05/06/91)

From article <1991May6.043515.29012@cs.yale.edu>, by buddington-paul@cs.yale.edu (Paul Buddington):
> In article <1991May2.133109.23693@cbnewsh.att.com> tjt@cbnewsh.att.com (timothy.j.thompson) writes:
>>I never found a way on the front panel, but the Poly-800 (the original
>>one) *does* respond to the appropriate incoming MIDI message that will
>>turn off the Omni mode.
>
> Actually, it's pretty simple to turn off OMNI mode.  ...  If you hit the
> "Prog/Para" button to put the display in paramater mode then select parameter
> number 87 (Midi channel), OMNI mode is turned off.  It works for me

Not for me.  Either you're talking about a Poly-800 II,
or Korg made Poly-800's with differing ROM versions.    ...Tim...