[comp.music] Northwestern U. vs. Mills College?

ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chris Koenigsberg) (05/08/91)

I'm looking for some possibly helpful last-minute advice, and I thought
the subject might be interesting to the comp.music readership (more so
than the latest question about MIDI on someone's PC :-).

I have been accepted by two grad school programs, and I am trying to
decide which to enroll in. It's either the Master's degree program at
Mills College in Oakland CA (MFA in Electronic Music and the Recording
Media), or at Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill (MA in
Composition, specializing in computer music). I have to reach a decision
pretty soon and I'm sort of going nuts in the process :-) since I'm
working a professional more-than-40-hours-per-week job, without much
time for making phone calls, visiting the library, etc. that is
necessary to figure these things out.

Any information, opinions, anecdotes, etc. on either place would be
greatly appreciated. Please respond via email, to ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu. I
can summarize for the net if there are any interesting replies.

 Chris Brown is currently the acting director of Mills College's CCM,
Center for Contemporary Music (I guess David Rosenboom is gone for good,
to CalArts), and Alvin Curran will be a visiting professor there this
year. At Northwestern, Amnon Wolman, assistant professor of composition,
is now directing the computer music center, and Gary Kendall (former
director of the CMC) has returned to teach some classes.

Examples of the kind of considerations I have to sort through: Mills's
electronic music program is very small and non-traditional, while
Northwestern U. has a whole School of Music, a Composition Dept. within
that, and a separate Computer Music Center in a different academic
building, which has just been incorporated into the composition dept.
Mills has had its facilities for a long time, even including an old
Buchla Model 100, the first portable modular analog synthesizer, and
lots of custom-built stuff, including their own software language HMSL.
Northwestern has new facilities - they've had a Pyramid for a year or
two and they just got some NeXT stations.

Presumably at Northwestern, being a Composition student officially, I'd
get some traditional composition background in addition to working with
computers, psychoacoustics, signal processing, synthesis, etc. - there's
some kind of diagnostic exam for incoming composition students, and they
recommend remedial classes to make up areas where one lacks background.
And Northwestern has a Doctoral program in composition, which I could
continue on to after getting the Master's if I still am interested by
then :-)

At Mills, though, I would guess that any time left after
electronic/computer work would be spent on very way-out experimental
things. (I know, you're probably just going to ask me "which would you
prefer, traditional theory or experimental things?") And Mills does not
offer any doctoral degrees. (but I could go somewhere else for a
doctorate if I wanted to, with a Mills MFA under my belt)

I also play the contrabass; Mills has no bass players, no bass teacher
(but I can sign a contract with one from the outside to teach me at the
school, apparently), no school orchestra, and very few string players,
while Northwestern has Jeff Bradetich, executive director of the
International Society of Bassists, on their faculty, in the
Instrumental/String Dept.

Mills has lots of inter-disciplinary projects going on; their facilities
are open to the community on a limited basis, and I have heard of
collaborations between video artists and musicians, for example. Famous
musical personalities stop by and hang out there to do some projects.
But I have NOT heard about any such things at Northwestern - are there
interesting multi-media happenings going on at Northwestern, that no one
there has mentioned to me? Of course, Mills is also in the Bay Area,
while Northwestern is in the Chicago area.

Finally, Mills is offering me a departmental assistantship to cover
tuition, in return for 12-15 hrs. per week staffing their electronic
studio facility. Northwestern is offering me a fellowship in exchange
for 10 hrs. per week of as-yet-unspecified work, that still leaves an
additional $4,000 tuition which I will have to cover myself
(Northwestern's aid offer is actually a little higher than Mills', but
their total tuition is almost double Mills' too).

Overall, I get the impression that at Mills, I will be plugged into a
vital community where art is happening, but where people don't pay much
attention to more traditional things like orchestras :-) while at
Northwestern, I'll be isolated in an academic environment, where there
will be resources to pick up a lot of background material and do a lot
of studying and experimenting on my own, but there will not be much of
an exciting community happening.

Can anyone corroborate these impressions before I make the wrong decision ? :-)

Many thanks,

Chris Koenigsberg
ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu

davisonj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (John M Davison) (05/08/91)

In article <kc9j_oK00VQfE0r8Jm@andrew.cmu.edu> ckk+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chris Koenigsberg) writes:
>vital community where art is happening, but where people don't pay much
>attention to more traditional things like orchestras :-) while at
>Northwestern, I'll be isolated in an academic environment, where there
>will be resources to pick up a lot of background material and do a lot
>of studying and experimenting on my own, but there will not be much of
>an exciting community happening.

	Well, you'll be practically in Chicago (about 5 minutes away),
and whether or not you would consider that an "exciting" community is
up to you.  The Chicago Symphony Orchestra is there.  The School of
the Art Institute of Chicago is there too, but don't expect a whole
lot of creativity to flow from that institution: Over the last ten
years, the quality of education there has been severely degraded.
Recently I went to a display of Master's theses in one of their
galleries, and 60% of what I saw there was just plain crap, stuff that
high school freshman art students can easily outdo, both conceptually
and in terms of the quality of execution.  Part of the Art Institute's
problem is money.  No one wants to give money to a school that
supports controversial artists (e.g. the guy who painted Mayor
Washington wearing women's underwear, and the guy whose exhibit
encouraged attendees to step on a U.S. flag).

	Wergo has a CD out which has a work of Amnon Wolman on it; I
don't know if that would help you or not.

	Iannis Xenakis taught at Mills for a while.  I don't know of
any big names showing up at Northwestern to teach, but last fall there
was a John Pierce 80th birthday celebration which pulled in Max
Mathews, Jean-Claude Risset, Richard Boulanger, Richard Ashley, and
other famous people.  So Wolman evidently has some ties.  That's all
I know; I hope it helps.

John Davison
davisonj@ecn.purdue.edu