[comp.music] MIDI Programming for Mac?

ka2cs220@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Steve Berkley) (05/10/91)

This message is empty.

ka2cs220@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Steve Berkley) (05/10/91)

Hi!

I'm new here, so let me know if I'm doing anything wrong!

Does anyone know any good books on programming MIDI for the Mac?  I got the
book, "MIDI Programming for the Macintosh" by Steve Defuria and Joe
Scacciaferro, but its pretty weak.  I need more information than is provided,
such as how MIDIfiles are organized, how to interpret various messages, etc.

Also, does anyone know if MIDIPascal is worth purchasing?
I'm about to embark on a project using midifiles in a neural net...any
suggestions?

Steve Berkley

ka2cs220@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

david@world.std.com (david c spiegelman) (05/16/91)

In article <13936@ur-cc.UUCP> ka2cs220@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Steve Berkley) writes:
>Hi!
>
>I'm new here, so let me know if I'm doing anything wrong!
>
>Does anyone know any good books on programming MIDI for the Mac?  I got the
>book, "MIDI Programming for the Macintosh" by Steve Defuria and Joe
>Scacciaferro, but its pretty weak.  I need more information than is provided,
>such as how MIDIfiles are organized, how to interpret various messages, etc.
>
>Also, does anyone know if MIDIPascal is worth purchasing?
>I'm about to embark on a project using midifiles in a neural net...any
>suggestions?
>
>Steve Berkley
>
>ka2cs220@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

david@world.std.com (david c spiegelman) (05/16/91)

In article <13936@ur-cc.UUCP> ka2cs220@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Steve Berkley) writes:

>Does anyone know any good books on programming MIDI for the Mac?  I got the
>book, "MIDI Programming for the Macintosh" by Steve Defuria and Joe
>Scacciaferro, but its pretty weak.  I need more information than is provided,
>such as how MIDIfiles are organized, how to interpret various messages, etc.
>
>Also, does anyone know if MIDIPascal is worth purchasing?
>I'm about to embark on a project using midifiles in a neural net...any
>suggestions?

Check out MAX by Opcode Systems.  It is an object oriented Midi environment
that is MidiManager Compatible.  It is probably perfect for working with midi
files.  You can also write your own objects in C much like writing XCMD's for
HyperCard.  For more information call Opcode at 1 (415) 369-8131.  It is
reveiwed in the April '91 issue of Keyboard.

For more information on midi file cal the IMA (International Midi Association)
at 1 (213) 649-6434.  They sell published midi file specification for $5.00.

David C. Spiegelman
david@world.std.com
...!uunet!world!david