[comp.music] PC MIDI board IRQ lines

nmurrayr@cc.curtin.edu.au (Ron Murray) (05/31/91)

In article <oNco32w164w@midiline>, knid%midiline.uucp@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Vermicious Knid) writes:
> The new update for Master Tracks Pro is now shipping.  It is version 3.93
> and runs under Windows in real, standard or enhanced mode, although in
> enhanced on a 386, you must change the IRQ for your MIDI card from 2 to
> something else, like 5 or 7, due to the fact that Windows in enhanced
> mode redirects IRQ 2.

   It seems to be a little-known fact, but on the PC and clones, IRQ 2 is used
by EGA (and above) as the frame interlace interrupt. Thus MIDI software written
for these machines may or may not work on EGA, VGA etc. (although CGA will be
OK as a rule). The actual results you get depends upon which line driver in
either the MIDI board or the video board is stronger: if the video board wins,
you don't get any MIDI interrupts. If the MIDI board wins, you only get half
the screen lines (and the display can look quite weird!).
   It would seem to be an idea to encourage MIDI software writers in general
to allow selection of the IRQ line: most of the early ones didn't, and I spent
ages changing them manually). Perhaps the situation has improved: I haven't
looked for a while.
.....Ron

 Internet: Murray_RJ@cc.curtin.edu.au                | "The Universe is so
 Bitnet: Murray_RJ%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet    | utterly disorganised
 UUCP  : uunet!munnari.oz!cc.curtin.edu.au!Murray_RJ | that it can only have
Amateur Packet Radio: VK6ZJM@VK6BBS.#WA.AUS.OC       | been written in Pascal"
               TCP/IP: 44.136.204.14, 44.136.204.19  |  -- The Phantom Waffler

foetus@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (71030000) (06/06/91)

FOR SALE!!!

Roland Jazz Chourus 120 H
Seperate stereo head, stereo 4X12 cabinet with casters.
120 watts
great distortion
on board stereo chourus
high and low inputs
low milage
cover for head

nice sound, very solidly built.
money needed to pay for last years school...

$500 or best offer
questions?  call (408) 458-2344 and ask for josh
or email foetus@ucscb.ucsc.edu